1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got a craving for a railed 1911 and something caught me on the American.

Most railed 1911's (EB, SA, LB, etc.) have a wider frame beginning at the dustcover and then stepping down to normal frame width just past the slide stop hole.

I've seen American models that do not have this step down and some that do.

Am I imagining things? If not, why the difference in frames?

·
Registered
274 Posts
I've got a craving for a railed 1911 and something caught me on the American.

Most railed 1911's (EB, SA, LB, etc.) have a wider frame beginning at the dustcover and then stepping down to normal frame width just past the slide stop hole.

Am I imagining things? If not, why the difference in frames?
You are not alone! Honestly I've always had that same question. I thought I was seeing things. If you do call GI please share your answer here.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My American has the "step" as well BUT I dont have a flush cut and chamfered slide stop like Stlgecko does. Perhaps thats the difference?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I can't get the pics to come up but Frank mentions a Model 2 which is there 50GI frame so it would me wider than an American

·
Registered
2,937 Posts

This is straight from the mothership. These were older style frames. They have since changed the design to eliminate the 'step'

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RJ - thanks you've been helpful.

I'm still considering a railed GI and came across something else I'd like to ask.

I was under the impression based on the website that the American is the only railed model until I saw CJ selling a "No Name 45 ACP w/Lightrail, Standard Pistol".

Now I've done a quick search around the web and haven't found photos of a railed No Name.

Anyone have pictures or more info here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
703 Posts
RJ - thanks you've been helpful.

I'm still considering a railed GI and came across something else I'd like to ask.

I was under the impression based on the website that the American is the only railed model until I saw CJ selling a "No Name 45 ACP w/Lightrail, Standard Pistol".

Now I've done a quick search around the web and haven't found photos of a railed No Name.

Anyone have pictures or more info here?

Thanks in advance.
You might want to contact GI and see if that is an option you can order.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
There is a railed commander out there too, you can add the rail option now essentially making a No Name an American.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
For those interested.

The word from GI:

American has the following vs. a standard NN with rail:

Magwell (functional blend)
Ball cuts
Ambi

Regarding the presence of a step down after the light rail on some American models: these were early models. Current models now come as shown on the GI site.

Zo6 - If I pull the trigger on one CJ is certainly the guy that will be getting the call.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I am having all kinds of email and forum issues on my phone, but someone asked about a 38super in an American. They do not make this but will do a rail on a NoName in 38super

1 - 15 of 15 Posts