1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my January 2014,American Rifleman. A great factual article on the current ammo shortage in the good'ol USA.Its a good read ! If your into the conspiracy theories you'll be disappointed ! Thanks NRA for giving us some numbers to consider !

Andy 815th

·
Registered
517 Posts
It's about time the NRA did some "mythbusting" regarding the ammo shortage. But you'll never convince hard core conspiracy buffs it's not a secret plot by the gov.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
Read a third of it online and quit reading. I won't be joining the NRA.
why??
do you think they're telling us a lie?

A great factual article on the current ammo shortage in the good'ol USA.Its a good read ! If your into the conspiracy theories you'll be disappointed
won't matter much to many.
it's been my observation of human behavior, that most people believe what they "want" to believe and only accept "info" that supports their preconceived notions

..L.T.A.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
I hope that there's enough of us who DO support them to carry you on our backs, along with millions of others who can find some "excuse" why the NRA isn't deserving of their support.

The "Gun Control Act of 1968" caught the nation totally blindsided. The NRA was just a bunch of privileged white guys who could care less what restrictions were placed on the average joe's firearms rights. It took an actual revolution led by the likes of Neal Knox to oust the "good ol boys" and turn it into the political organization it is today. Without the actions of this one single group, your present firearms freedoms would be on a par with citizens of Australia, Great Brittan, Mexico, etc. Yea, we'll keep on carrying ya.

Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
I really don't understand. Even if you totally disbelieve the article, the NRA and GOA are about the only hope we have to keep our gun rights. In my opinion everyone who owns a gun should join both. If they did, no one could ever take our rights away!

·
Registered
387 Posts
No organization is always going to be the perfect fit for everybody and I'm sure that there are some people who the NRA are pleased to not count on their rolls. The NRA is not the perfect organization. I do not always agree with the information they present or the manner I which they present it. However, having just said that, I will also say that I am proud to be a Life Member of the NRA. As it has already been stated in this thread, if not for the NRA, our 2nd amendment rights would have been eliminated years ago.

Hope that there are enough patriots who will stand with the NRA to defend our Constitutional rights, in order to, compensate for the sheeple who are ever so willing to accept the loss of our freedoms piece by piece until they are gone.

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
I hope that there's enough of us who DO support them to carry you on our backs, along with millions of others who can find some "excuse" why the NRA isn't deserving of their support.

The "Gun Control Act of 1968" caught the nation totally blindsided. The NRA was just a bunch of privileged white guys who could care less what restrictions were placed on the average joe's firearms rights. It took an actual revolution led by the likes of Neal Knox to oust the "good ol boys" and turn it into the political organization it is today. Without the actions of this one single group, your present firearms freedoms would be on a par with citizens of Australia, Great Brittan, Mexico, etc. Yea, we'll keep on carrying ya.

Bob
Agree completely.

The NRA has lot of political infighting, but it's the single largest and most powerful lobby for the support of gun rights and the SA.

Anyone in the USA who owns firearms and values personal freedoms should be a member.

·
Registered
486 Posts
+1 on both the NRA and GOA

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Let's keep the facts straight. The part of the NRA that does the legal fighting for our 2nd Amend. rights is the NRA-ILA, not the NRA main body. The ILA is chartered specifically to take on legal issues, the regular NRA is not.

While the NRA is the largest and most powerful lobbying group, the Second Amendment Foundation is the outfit that has been responsible for the major wins we've had legally in the last 10 years. The DC, and Chicago Supreme Court wins and several others all go on their score sheet.

That is not to take away from any of the other groups, like GOA, etc. All of them have a roll and the more pressure we bring to bear from multiple angles, the more powerful we are.

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
I just got my January 2014,American Rifleman. A great factual article on the current ammo shortage in the good'ol USA.Its a good read ! If your into the conspiracy theories you'll be disappointed ! Thanks NRA for giving us some numbers to consider !

Andy 815th

There may not be a full blown conspiracy, everyone can make up their own mind on that, but the truth is actually more insidious. The Obama administration wants to disarm the American public, by any means it can. They have largely lost on the direct assault approach. But, they are chipping away around the edges in the shadows. They have backed state initiatives like in New York and Colorado. They have stated before that if they can't do away with guns, they will go after ammunition by making it too costly for anybody to buy, dry up sources, etc.

The EPA managed to shut down the Herculaneum smelter. How long will it be before they start putting onerous regulations on the recycle smelters? California has banned lead in bullets. How long before that trend starts spreading across the country? Premium ammo is already a dollar a round for handgun, and $1.50 for rifle. I have to reload to be able to afford to shoot anything. How long before they go after components. Primers are the weak link there at this point.

The point is, closing this last primary smelter may not be an in-your-face anti-gun move, but it is part of the broad overall effort to make it more and more difficult for gun owners and shooters to exercise their rights.

·
Registered
690 Posts
For those concerned about my support for our 2A rights I support my state senator that has done a lot for gun rights here. We can now open carry which I do every time I leave the house to help the general public get used to people carrying and think nothing of it which helps gun owners too. My senator also took action when it was needed with the Ammo Act of 2013 to limit DHS ammo stockpiling. His work got ammo back on the shelves in our local gun stores.

I support our local 2A Shooting Center/ range. I'm a member of a woman's shooting club that helps and instructs women who are learning to shoot for the first time. I'm not a beginner but I enjoy seeing other women become interested in learning to shoot and having an interest in carrying for protection. Our club has 60 members, another branch has even more members which it is having to hold meetings each week instead of once a month to meet demand. There is more then one way to support the Second Amendment.

I also support with competing in competitions. My husband and I compete in Steel Challenge competitions and he also does IDPA which I hope to do soon.

Just because I choose not to be an NRA member doesn't mean I'm not helping in other ways.

·
Registered
690 Posts
There may not be a full blown conspiracy, everyone can make up their own mind on that, but the truth is actually more insidious. The Obama administration wants to disarm the American public, by any means it can. They have largely lost on the direct assault approach. But, they are chipping away around the edges in the shadows. They have backed state initiatives like in New York and Colorado. They have stated before that if they can't do away with guns, they will go after ammunition by making it too costly for anybody to buy, dry up sources, etc.

The EPA managed to shut down the Herculaneum smelter. How long will it be before they start putting onerous regulations on the recycle smelters? California has banned lead in bullets. How long before that trend starts spreading across the country? Premium ammo is already a dollar a round for handgun, and $1.50 for rifle. I have to reload to be able to afford to shoot anything. How long before they go after components. Primers are the weak link there at this point.

The point is, closing this last primary smelter may not be an in-your-face anti-gun move, but it is part of the broad overall effort to make it more and more difficult for gun owners and shooters to exercise their rights.
Agree

·
Premium Member
12,274 Posts
here's something for you to think about kimberette:

The NRA is like the ACLU in a way. the ACLU has long taken a pretty not-an-individual-right stance and thus does little to lobby on behalf of our interests. The GOA and SAF both are great orgs, but they work by filing court cases and challenging laws thusly.

That leaves a void, which the NRA fills: They spend millions to lobby on our behalf to put pressure on senators and representatives that counterbalance the millions spent by anti-gun lobbyists.

So, sure, you can support YOUR local stuff and your senator, but one senator, even with the strongest of wills and the least concern for ever getting reelected if he doesn't follow the party line is only one voice, and it takes a lot of voices to countermand those against us.

You don't have to like the NRA, you don't even have to agree with some of its positions. However, in the long game, without the collective power built through support of friendly politicians AND lobbying activities on our behalf, we lose. It's that simple.

Personally, I try to donate to every 2nd-amendment-friendly org that plays on our side, even if I don't fully support every position, for that very reason. My ability to own firearms and do with them as I please within the bounds of not hurting others without just cause mean more to me than petty disagreements over exactly how I feel we should apply a filter to prevent the true whackos from getting guns.

Now, I ain't saying you have to do the same. But I strongly suggest you consider the long game and what the NRA actually does for us, because I guarantee you that no one in Washington who hears the name "Alan Gotlieb" or "Second Amendment Foundation" gets quite the same pucker that they get when they hear "NRA".

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Kimberette:

Keep in mind that much of the work the NRA and NRA-ILA do is behind the scenes rather than out under the spotlights. They're sort of like a couple 1200 lb silverback gorillas hiding in dimness at the edge of the jungle clearing. They apply pressure to members of Congress by working with the staff people, watching and analyzing how members vote on various issues and then giving each one a letter grade at election time. That grade has defeated anti-gun politicians by alerting voters to their record too many times to count. They also spend an enormous amount of money on public education, gun safety, promoting marksmanship, certify instructors (for hunter safety, concealed carry, and reloading, etc.) , and promote safe hunting and conservation efforts. Those are the less glamorous things that play well with the public, and prime the pump politically on the bigger issues.

You may notice in my sig line that I'm a Benefactor Life member. It took me 30 years to get to that level, but one of the benefits of it is that people listen when I talk about 2nd Amendment issues. You wouldn't believe how many people come up to me and thank me for putting my money where my mouth is, so to speak, when they see that Benefactor patch on my jacket or my Life Member black ballcap with the scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
For those concerned about my support for our 2A rights I support my state senator that has done a lot for gun rights here. We can now open carry which I do every time I leave the house to help the general public get used to people carrying and think nothing of it which helps gun owners too. My senator also took action when it was needed with the Ammo Act of 2013 to limit DHS ammo stockpiling. His work got ammo back on the shelves in our local gun stores.

I support our local 2A Shooting Center/ range. I'm a member of a woman's shooting club that helps and instructs women who are learning to shoot for the first time. I'm not a beginner but I enjoy seeing other women become interested in learning to shoot and having an interest in carrying for protection. Our club has 60 members, another branch has even more members which it is having to hold meetings each week instead of once a month to meet demand. There is more then one way to support the Second Amendment.

I also support with competing in competitions. My husband and I compete in Steel Challenge competitions and he also does IDPA which I hope to do soon.

Just because I choose not to be an NRA member doesn't mean I'm not helping in other ways.
Just keep in mind, without the NRA's efforts in the past, NONE of your activities would still be possible.

Bob

·
Registered
552 Posts
Instead of buying that $25.69 box of .45ACP's, take that money do a Goggle search and call someone down it Australia. When you get them on the line, tell them your a Yank from the US doing a survey on gun ownership.

They will answer this way:

1. They don't own a gun of any kind
2. They don't know anyone who owns a gun
3. They can't drive 200 miles to the closest range, to shoot a gun

and on and on and on

·
Registered
690 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information you posted. After some thought and doing a little research between the NRA and the GOA I would most likely join the GOA if I was going to choose one. Maybe I will become a member in the near future. :)

·
Premium Member
6,108 Posts
Thank you everyone for the information you posted. After some thought and doing a little research between the NRA and the GOA I would most likely join the GOA if I was going to choose one. Maybe I will become a member in the near future. :)

I have to ask. What is your problem with the NRA? Why restrict yourself to just one organization? Join NRA, 2nd Amendment Foundation, AND GOA. They all do good work fighting for your rights.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't need anyone (government or political group) to tell me what my God given rights are. I have the obligation as a man, husband and father to protect what's mine, and I will die fighting for it. They will pry my guns from my cold dead hands. If we get to a point were we are forcefully disarmed against our will by our government, then I won't want to be alive to experience their BS anyway. I am one that would not have made it through Katrina's martial law, I'll be damned if some elected crook is gonna tell me I can't stay and protect my home.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts