1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a company "invents" a new ammo, the 38Super and then companies run and develop a firearm for it. Wonderful, and writers try to justify it. Great, but the one box in my LGS sells it for $60.00 a box. Why? Just my rant because FB kinda banned me for 59 days.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 38 Super has been around since before the 45 ACP as the 38 Auto. Maybe You are talking about the new 30 Carry that just came out.

Yeah. They got sign not to use it in the 38 revolver. Seems some idiot use it in his357 and blew up the gun, but not him.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I am sort of confused about what cartridge the OP was talking about. I have not seen .38?super ammo at any gun store for three or four years now.

Well one could shoot .38 Supers in a .38 or .357 pistol. But is is very risky as the SAAMI chamber pressures for .38 Super exceeds that of both the 38 Special and 357 magnum. It is a accident waiting to happen. Definitely a no no.

the new .30 Super Carry cartridge just came out of course. It sort of fills in a gap in performance between the 380acp and 9x19. Also it lets you squeeze in two or three more rounds into the magazine over the other two. No one is selling brass cases for it and they aren’t selling the bullets for it yet either. Since the 30SC is rated at 50,000 psi (or it’s it CUP) you can’t use 30 carbine cases which aren’t rated that high for pressure. Plus we don’t have any reloading data for it yet .The big stores are only ordering and stocking the self defense loads in 20 round boxes at this time. You have to look online or at a LGS specialty store for the 50 round FMJ boxes. Federal, who invented the cartridge, got themselves into a bind by promising to ship millions of rounds to Ukraine. Thus they tied up much of their production. But CCI and Remington have gone into production too. So it isn’t a huge problem to find some.

Developing a new cartridge isn’t all that easy anymore. With our lawsuit crazy world in complicates it even more. I would have used the 7.62x25 myself as a base. Except you don’t get the extra 2 to 3 rounds in a magazine. But then someone would try the stuff in a old milsurp gun and blow it up and then start suing. So them using a different cartridge case makes sense. As long as they don’t try it in a old milsurp gun of some type. With 50,000 psi rating it would definitely blow up some guns not rated for that.

ammo prices look like it’s going up now with higher fuel prices, materials shortages and inflation. So what cost $29.95 a month or two ago Is now $35 to $36 or thereabouts.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
So, a company "invents" a new ammo, the 38Super and then companies run and develop a firearm for it. Wonderful, and writers try to justify it. Great, but the one box in my LGS sells it for $60.00 a box. Why? Just my rant because FB kinda banned me for 59 days.
[/ QUOTE]

Some of us don't bother with FB and have no account there but whats that got to do with ammo prices. Shop around some . Range ammo can be found for 25 bucks for 50 rounds maybe a little lower like with one area gun shop that has PMC for 24 a box and HP ammo will always be higher , more like a $1 a round to $1,20 but buying on line your better be looking at bulk orders as shipping cost . Now perhaps your 60 dollars a box dealer might be more of a stealer dealer .

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
The 38 Super has been around since before the 45 ACP as the 38 Auto. Maybe You are talking about the new 30 Carry that just came out.
The 38super was developed for the 1911 as a rimless high pressure alternative but did not show up until the late 1920's compared and the +P was added so it would not be use in earlier lower power level semi rimed 38acp/auto developed for the colt 1900 .

Sort of the same but not really .

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I left FB and cancelled my account. I didn’t like their censoring and banning conservatives especially for firearms related stuff. But knowing FB they never really delete your account and posts. It just lingers on forever.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I paid $29.95 a box of 20 or for a box of 50 for .30SC a couple of months ago. It looks like it is going for $34.95 a box now. But that is out here. If your in a anti-gun state no telling how much the stuff would cost. Of Course I don’t think it is approved for California but it might be. I think they tack on lots of extra fees and taxes for ammo.

When it comes to ammo prices one of our LGS stores sells their ammo at something like 50% to 100% MSRP. Of course they have a indoor gun range and they rent guns too. Since they cater to tourists they want to make sure they have ammo for them to shoot. But I was shocked to see boxes of 9x19 going for $99.99 a box of 50. Of course it was JHP and from Europe, I guess that makes it extra special.

I do wonder how much the ammo would cost to shoot their mini-gun though. I was thinking around $500 for a three second burst of 5.56.

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Wait a second longarm. The guy is eighty-something years old. Cut him some slack.

I'm not even 78 and it's a pretty good day if I don't poop in my pants or fall down the steps. "Brain, broken," assumes stuff not in evidence.
Thinking about running for POTUS?

·
Registered
5,500 Posts
Yeah. They got sign not to use it in the 38 revolver. Seems some idiot use it in his357 and blew up the gun, but not him.
Highly dubious.

The .38 Super penerates at a lower pressure than the .357. The wall thickness of a 1911 barrel at the chamber is smaller than any N-frame.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts