1911Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe a stupid question but one that just dawned on me the other day. Will my SA 1911 45 loaded, function with all .45 ammo available? Anything that won't work or cause problems?

I'm finally getting around to trying different ammo.

Thanks for the response,

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
UNIQUE

YOUR gun is an individual, totally unique unto itself. There is absolutely no way to predict its performance with ANY type of ammo; testing REQUIRED.
Required.

That said, suggest sticking to 'name' brands (to include low-cost options from Georgia Arms, Pro Load, and a few others). Start at the bottom of the price ladder and work upward in price until your desired performance criteria is met.

NEVER trade any criteria for reliability.
"If it doesn't go bang it's just an interesting paperweight"

·
Registered
10 Posts
WESHOOT2 is correct.

If you ever plan to shot a particular round for defensive purposes, make sure you shoot enough of that load through your gun to ensure reliability. I'm realatively new to 1911 style pistols, but I understand some can have problems digesting hollowpoints. Don't just buy a high-dollar box of defensive loads, shoot a mag worth and pronounce them satisfactory.

On another note, while you're trying ammo, try some in low-light conditions to see which has the least amount of flash. Most violent confrontations occur in low-light conditions. The ammo you shoot at the well-lighted in-door range might not perform so well in the "flash" department in low-light conditions.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Re: ERR.....

WESHOOT2 said:
'Flash', IMNSHO, is 'overrated'.

You'll see........
I agree - in low light/no light matches, I've found that I never see the flash from my OWN gun; after all, you have (or SHOULD have) the gun and your hands between your eye and the flash.

Also, it's so quick it doesn't affect night vision much; the pupils don't respond that fast.

·
Registered
15,317 Posts
"I GOT MY EYES CLOSED........"

I, too, have shot a number of 'low-light' stages using different guns (357, 44, and 45 LC Redhawks, 9x19, 9x21 comp'ed, 40 S&W, and 41 AE Witnesses, 45 1911) and have done extensive night-shooting testing of ammo, and though I've found discernible differences in their 'flash', I've never tried a load that blinded me.
Of course, I've tried to use powders on the lower end of the 'flash' chart..........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts