1911Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK everyone, what are you using as a practice/carry ammo combo in your 3" Kimbers? My Ultra CDP (SII) arrives today, and I'm not sure if what I like in my 4" Compact (S1) will cross over. In the Compact I like the 165g Federal Hydra-shok, but haven't found a truly comparable practice round. In a perfect world I could afford to shoot JHP all the time, but reality is different. Rest assured, all recommendations will be tested for reliability and accuracy/controlability before I decide on anything. I just want to know where to narrow my search. Thanks in advance for all the help. As I know how some of these forums can go, let me say I am not tied to a slow/heavy vs fast/light , bonded vs not, etc... I am not law enforcement, so that may limit some of my choices. I am military, but sometimes when I play that card it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Federal makes a 165gr Hydra-shok? Hmm, the prospects sounds interesting. I personally really like Georgia Arms loaded 230gr +p Gold Dots. Good brass, good bullets, good primers, consistent and moderatly priced. You didn't mention where you are, but if you are in the South, you can probably go a gun show and find their ammo there.

Ghost

·
Registered
784 Posts
For carry use I run Gold Dot 200gr +P in all my 1911's including my Ultra Carry. For range use I use UMC outdoors and Blaser at the indoor range.
The Gold Dot's function perfect in my Ultra and I feel that for me they are the best choice available. Some people seem to shy away from the idea of shooting a +P through a small aluminum frame gun, however I have not seen any sign of damage or accelerated wear on my gun

·
Registered
171 Posts
ammo

I carry the cor bon 230 grain hollows...practice with Eagle 230 grain fmj

Jim

·
Registered
451 Posts
Jug,

For my Ultra Cdp, I am handloading an assortment of different 200 grain lead bullets. My gun puts the 200's in the center of the target at 25 yards. The 230's are a inch or two higher. It has digested every bullet shape that I have tried in it. Right now the gun is "wearing" 230 FMJ's, simply because I have not found a jacketed 200 grainer +p that is a non-hollowpoint. Of course I have not looked extensively, yet.

I will probably settle on a 200 lead RNFP for plinking, and a handload using the Beartooth 225 FP for carry when I am not in a bigger town. I live in a pretty rural setting, and I have had more bear problems than people problems. I admit that the 45 ACP is not my first choice for bear size critters, but I suscribe to the 45 caliber hole in and out being sufficient for my needs.

Good luck with your new gun, and I hope that you enjoy it.

Craig

·
Registered
445 Posts
Juggernaut welcome to the forum

Juggernaut said:
OK everyone, what are you using as a practice/carry ammo combo in your 3" Kimbers?
I use my Ultra CDP Elite Sts II as my primary CCW. I have not been carrying it for long though and I presently use the Federal 165gr. Hydra-Shok for it. At the range I primarily use the Wal-Mart Winchester white box 230gr. FMJ.

After reading this thread though, I think I will give the Cor-bon 230gr. JHP a try for carry. Thanks for the tip Hutch.;)

Also, in both my 3" and 5" Kimber I use the Wilson Combat mags and much like my Airedale both pistols have swallowed everything fed to them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your Gun

PAOLO,

I got two of the Wilson 7 rounds mags. I've seen your picture posts, and you have a good looking setup. My VM-2 from Milt Sparks will be here in a few (8-10) weeks. Until then I'll keep carrying the 4" Compact. That way I can test out the new rounds and get proficient before I make the switch to the Ultra. Thanks everyone, and keep 'em coming.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Speer Gold Dot 185s have compared or better velocity than the Hydrashok 165 and with the extra weight are more punch. I get about 950 fps with Speer GD 185s, but only about 850 with the Hydrashok 165s.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use 165gr Hydra-Shoks in my 3" and 230gr Speer in 4" and 5". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that a 230gr out of a 3" would not expand as good as a 165gr would, but once you got to 4" it was fine.

·
Registered
445 Posts
AZ Heat said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was told that a 230gr out of a 3" would not expand as good as a 165gr would, but once you got to 4" it was fine.
You are right, it wouldn't. But, it still would be 230gr.;)

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
It would still be a 230 gr. round, but moving pretty slow. I didn't just chrono Speer GD and Hydrashok 165 out of my Ultra Elite, but also Blazer 230 gr. ball ammo. For the full-sized Wilson CQB, the Blazer had an average velocity of 866 fps. Out of the Kimber Ultra Elite, the average velocity was 770 fps. The extra 180 fps for the Speer GD 185 comes out as a better performer and should expand.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Speer

Double Ought,

Do you have any experience with the Speer FMJ? Does it 'feel' like the load you chronographed? I recall they used to have a matched FMJ/JHP in the Lawman series, but I don't know if they still do, or if the 185 was the matched round.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am running the Hydra Shoks right now and they are fine. I have also run Cor-Bon and Golden Sabres. The only ones that have given me problems are the Winchester white defense loads.

Jess

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First Rounds Downrange...feedback

Got to the range at lunch today and fired two boxes of 230 Ball. The PMC White/orange box was great...point of aim, felt good. No FTF. The American Eagle (which I shot first) seemed to go high left, but into one nice hole. Definately more felt recoil than the PMC. I could feel that checkering all around the grip. I'll probably try the UMC and Winchester white box next time.

Getting used to the three-dot sights took a little bit, but then felt good. The Ultra is not as fast to reacquire as the compact so far, but it was my first day with it, so no judgement yet.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Juggernaut, I have shot about 300 rounds of the Speer Gold Dot 185 out of a variety of my 1911s, probably 50 or so out of my Kimber. It feels fine, cycles fine, is a little loud, but all in all is just fine. I chrono'd the ammo myself (doing the shooting) while my buddy ran the chrono (his chrono).

I have no idea about the match/no match issue. It is just regular Speer Gold Dot 185 hollowpoint ammo. I have had no feeding issues with it. Aside from the rare Hydrashok 185+P ammo I had, nothing else chrono'd as well out of the Kimber and the Hydrashok 185+P was at the bottom end of the Gold Dot 185 velocity range, louder, and with a sharper recoil.

The Speer Gold Dot 185 handles fine and has very good velocity without being a +P variant.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Speer Will be at the top of my list

Double Naught, (sorry about the first post name error)

Just as soon as the break-in period is over, the Speer load will be the first I try out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I tried several brands out in my Ultra CDP for function and accuracy, and decided I liked the 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch five shot groups at 15 yards shot with the Hornady 200 gr JHP/XTP. This was not from a rested position or real slow aimed fire. I also liked the Cor-Bon 230 gr +P, they grouped about twice as large, recoil seemed to be ablut twice that of the Hornadys, so energy should be up as welll. Looking for Hornady +Ps to try.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update

Well, the S&B 230 FMJ did not do well at all. Two failures to feed, and one extraction issue I had never seen before. The empty case got wedged into the feed lips on the Wilson Magazine and had to be pried out with my Leatherman tool. The slide was locked and the mag wouldn't drop. On the plus side, it REALLY liked the Winchester 185s (range ammo) and made one ragged hole dead center with 20 rounds. No FTF or FTE, and it felt good. The Speer Lawman 230 TMJ did OK, but I only shot a little of it so more on that in the future.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts