1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a NOOB, please be gentle,
The more I learn about handguns, ammo and all related stuff, the 2nd biggest cost we have, behind our guns, is ammo. When I do find some I feel guilty paying for it, because I'm just going to use it up, which is the point.
Last week something happened at the range that got me thinking. What happened was I had just received back from S&W my 9mm Sigma for trigger repair and I wanted to see how it would work. I loaded a magazine with "Sellier & Bellot 9mm Luger 115gr and went to work from 25'. I finished and pulled the target back and saw 7 holes all over the target, no consistency, so, I thought "WTH" and reloaded with Winchester 115gr FMJ put the target back at 25' pulled the trigger ten times, pulled the target back and all 10 were in the black. I talked to the guy at the range, who sold me the ammo, and his explanation was that L&B is a hotter load and my gun doesn't like it. That's just the way it is and I should just shoot it up. Thing is I had just bought over $100 worth of this ammo and, I didn't say anything but I was pissed at his attitude. In addition, in the last 6 months I've spent well over $2K in his store.

So if in fact it's true that certain guns don't like certain ammo why don't we design a cross reference chart based on our experiences to help other people, NOOBIES, to avoid wasting $ on ammo that won't help them. Or, is this guy blowin' smoke up my hole??

Also, the trigger job by S&W made my Sigma a terrific gun!

By the way I sent an email to L&B's HQ in CZ, they responded and asked for my phone number so a local rep could talk to me.

What do you guys think?
Jack

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
It is true that individual guns are partial to particular brands and types of ammo. I think this is especially in rifles.

I have not found S&B to be less accurate than others in my own guns. I bought a case of 9mm recently, but have not fired any.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
I have shot a lot of S&B ammo both in 45 and 9mm, accuracy was good with both calibers. The only complaint I have heard about S&B ammo is that the brass whores don't like it, as it has some pretty tough primers to remove, they break a lot of decapping pins. Some pistols depending on rate of rifle twist may not be as accurate with lighter weight bullets. Try 125 or 147 grain bullets. You might have just been having a bad shooting day.

·
Registered
651 Posts
All over teh target does really mean much. How far all over the taget, was it mostly in one direction/area or was it just a big group?

That said, accuracy has more to do with total uniformity of a complex system... mostly the shooter and a little bit on wind and some on the gun and ammo.

If the bullets are not uniform with consistent base geometry, if the bullets are out of balance, if the case length varies, the ammo will cause a wild pattern.

But a swhooter must have a uniform grip, trigger squeeze, sight picture, etc to be accurate.

On paper targets, the best way to test for accuracy is with a 6 o'clock hold. The round target black bull is seen as perched just above the front sight and the rear sight is seen with an equal slice of light on either side of the front sight which is level with the top of the rear sight. Where the bullets hit is NOT important. What you are looking for is a group on the paper. If the group is good the sights can be adjusted to center the group where you want it.

There are different ways and reasons to sight in a certain way. For hunting and self-defense most people want the bullet impact to be just at the top of the front sight, target shooters who shoot NRA bullseye want the bullet to inpact half the radius of the target high.

http://pistol-training.com/archives/1361

Bullet impact point on the crosshairs

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to assume your gun "doesn't like" the ammo - those kind of judgements are measured in inches (if an AR-15 doesn't like a type of ammo, we're talking a difference of several inches at 100 yards), not in wild rounds all over the place.

S&B is hotter than WWB - but at 8 yards, the difference in trajectory should be negligible.

I'd go back and shoot it some more. Load one round in the magazine at a time, see if it's going where you want it to.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
When I went to break in my S&W M&P Pro 9mm I had two boxes of ammo with me. (Sorry, don't remember the brands right now.) Box A consistently looked like I was firing a 12 gauge at the target, box B grouped nice and produced rather small groups. I was shooting at an indoor range, have shot handguns for almost 30 years, so I know how to shoot a gun. The poor performer was ammo I had in the house for at least three years, stored in my one bedroom closet.

I also know my CZ-75B likes 124gr ball better than 115gr.

I do believe that some guns do not like certain brands of ammo.

·
Premium Member
1,174 Posts
Hi all.
At one time I got some brown Chineese crap ammo 7.62 X 39 and was shooting It from my Ruger Mini-14/30 and I found the empty cases all over the place, from 5 ' to the right,and all the way to 15' and In some what a fan pattern??? I fired close to 50 rounds, I was trying to sight in that rifle at 100 yards, never got on target. I then fired some U.S. made ammo and was on targer with 5 rounds, and all the cases stayed in a 5' area. The brown stuff was all from the same batch as far as I could tell, Around that time you could also get the steel core ammo from the same people, I still have some left over.

I have not shot that rifle In many years now, and I don't have a plans to do so.

Semper Fi all. Hank D.

·
Registered
416 Posts
So if in fact it's true that certain guns don't like certain ammo why don't we design a cross reference chart based on our experiences to help other people, NOOBIES, to avoid wasting $ on ammo that won't help them. Or, is this guy blowin' smoke up my hole??

Jack
For the most part it would be a worthless cross reference since other Stigmas may shoot better with S&B ammo than any other brand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
In my experience, I have come across brands of ammunition that do not shoot through a particular gun as well as other brands. The brands that shoot well in my particular gun, I will stay with. The brands that do not shoot as well for whatever reason, I will avoid.

·
Registered
543 Posts
True. My daughter has a Colt Commander in .380 and it won't shoot worth a crap with Remington factory ammo, but it's pretty good with a reload I worked up. Definitely some guns don't like certain ammo.

This is what makes it so hard for a reloader to recommend a specific load for another gun. Manuals are just suggestions and almost every gun will react differently to a given loading.

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
So if in fact it's true that certain guns don't like certain ammo...
This is certainly true, but the effects are usually nominal. Switching from S&B to any other brand won't take your shots from all over the paper to cloverleafs in the X-ring.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts