1911Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just gone and ordered my first 1911, a Kimber Custom Stainless Target. From my poking around here the last couple of days, I've seen some references to these having FTF's. Hopefully mine won't be lumped in with these. I'm looking forward to the call saying to come in and finish the paperwork.

What I'm wondering about is the break in ammo. I'm planning on reloading (and do reload for my 9mm, and my wife's .357), and I don't wanna run reloads through this until its been broken in a bit with factory ammo.

I'd like to get some opinions as to which of the factory .45ACP I should use. I doubt I'd use Wolf, as I can't reload that. S&B? Fed AmEagle? Speer?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I like Fiocchi (sp) about the same price as S&B

------------------
"Of those that will penetrate, the edge is always with the bigger bullet."

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I’ve always liked Winchester white box (Q4170) 230gr ball. I’ve had wonderful results with this ammo. I'm more than willing to use it as an all-purpose round. That includes daily carry. Very reliable. I also like PMC 230gr ball and Remington UMC 230gr ball for rang use. Federal’s 230gr "match" is really good stuff too. Although, more expensive than the others. The Winchester has to be my all around favorite.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I don't shoot much factory ammo anymore - my guns are very much broken in......but I agree completely with Mr. Johnston above, and his Winchester advice. It's great factory hardball.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I use S&B almost exclusively. It's the combination of price and reliability that keeps me coming back for more.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. I'm considering getting a 500 pack of .45ACP from Ammoman once the Kimber's in and I'm enduring my fine state's 10 day waiting period (too bad they can't count the time for the order...).

I've used S&B for my wife's .357, and found out the other night that the CCI 550 primers I have didn't like to seat. The cases didn't have any problems with normal primers. Are the .45ACP cases from S&B problematic as well?

Now once I get all the bug-a-boo's worked out of the gun, then the factory ammo's gonna go bye-bye (and I'll have to post in the other forum
)

Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've used Fiocchi the majority of almost 3000 rds in 1 1/4 years. (also Some Win, some PMC -dirtiest, some UMC) Fiocchi's have been the cleanest firing, and easiest to clean, I've found. Also a little hotter.

BUT.. when you stop in to buy some, you never know where in the world the batch will come from...US...Mexico...Hungary...but all have been flawless, and FWIW, seem to work best in my C.T. with Mec-Gar mags.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just shot my Kimber two weeks ago and found that speer lawman was the most accurate with it. winchester and S&B worked great too but the lawman produced tighter groups

1 - 8 of 8 Posts