1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a stupid question, but what kind of ammo should I use for IDPA matches? I don't reload (yet), so I will have to purchase it for a while. Should I use hardball, wadcutters, semi-wadcutters, hollow points, etc? Sorry for the amateurish question, but when it comes to pistol competition, that's what I am. Thanks for your help.

------------------
Ron

·
Super Moderator
13,558 Posts
crawdad:
Use the cheapest ammos that will reliable feed in your gun. Winchester white box, Sellier & Bellot, Wolf, PMC, etc. Walmart sell Winchester 9mm for $10.97 per 100.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
6,416 Posts
I shoot Winchester 185gr FMJ . Natchezss sells it for &10 something a box.9mm is cheap at walmart and ammoman has good prices on 40S&W

·
Registered
366 Posts
In general, for stock guns not yet worked on my competent gunsmiths, 230 grain hardball will feed more reliably than the others. It is after all the ammo the gun was designed to shoot.
That being said, some guns will shoot "anything" with reliability. Other guns are very selective and restrictive with what works.
Some shooter prefer to compete with their carry or defense ammo. An expensive but practical exercise.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The best buy on quality 45 ACP is Sellier & Bellot through cheaperthandirt.com

It's 230 grain hardball loaded to around 850 fps. Save the brass, as it's good quality and reloadable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts