1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading in a NRA magazine.
That in winter..You should use FMJ Ammo for home Defense use..
As the bad guy is wearing a lot more Clothing..
Jacket, sweater, shirt.. And a Hollow tip will open prematurely and not put down the Threat.. So my ? Is will a FMJ work better and do a better job going Thru winter Attire...

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Sure, FMJ will penetrate more (including more drywall, etc.) HOWEVER please just stick with your SD rounds, perhaps that have passed FBI protocol for penetration AND EXPANSION. Such rounds that penetrate auto glass yet still penetrate ballistic gel "just right" will do the job.

IMO Federal HST is among the best. Heavy for caliber (even though slower than lighter rounds) offer superior penetration in the conditions you described.

Some rounds marketed as "frangible" are designed to break apart upon impact and may not be effective IMO regardless of the season.

Do your own research on FBI protocol and view the plenty of Youtube examples that are on line. Better yet, dress up your own pork shoulder roast in heavy clothing and try out various rounds for yourself.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ yep Right there.. Was thinking 380 on this..
Also all the lawyer talk on .. Well you used some kind of kill round.. Hmm well better them then me... But I was just wondering about heavy coats..anyways Thanks. I will look up some more data

·
Registered
69 Posts
Use the ammo that you train with and works best in your firearm. When I'm at home that's a Remington 870 pump with 00 buck. I don't care how much clothing you have on this round will put them down. When I carry it's a double tap of 45acp 230 grain Winchester Rangers. If they are heavily clothed it's a triple tap.

·
Registered
6,983 Posts
Only time I would use FMJ in the winter is for .380
+1 :rock: but I dont carry a .380, if I did it would be loaded with fmj`s

I run Speer Gold Dots year round in all my carry weps

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I doubt that heavy winter clothing is going to even slow down a 45.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Also all the lawyer talk on .. Well you used some kind of kill round.. Hmm well better them then me... But I was just wondering about heavy coats..anyways Thanks. I will look up some more data
Ahhhh. If memory serves correctly, nothing less than 9mm passes the FBI tests mentioned. You know -- there are plenty of pocket size 9mm + autos out there today. Sure more recoil, but why risk NOT being able to stop an attack if a SD situation arises? Have fun with the mouse gun shooting paper IMO.

Although not FBI compliant I draw my minimum SD at .38spl.

Flame away, mouse-gunners all!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Maybe if you live at the North Pole, or somewhere with similar temps. But my guess is most bad guys don't bundle up excessively when they go about their business. A good 'ole .45HP of your choice will most likely solve any problems. If not, shoot him again. :)

On the rare occasion that I carry my .380 (you know like when swimming... ;) ) I carry FMJ rounds.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
About the "some kind of kill(er)? round", well, just about EVERY police force in the U.S. uses hollowpoint ammunition. Does this mean that the police want to kill everyone? No, they want ammunition that quickly and effectively stops the threat by expending the rounds energy while still inside the target. A beneficial side effect of this is that it is highly unlikely that a hollowpoint that completely penetrates will have enough energy left to seriously injure anyone else.....

Dan

·
Administrator
73,995 Posts
So what do you do when it's July and the dude is still wearing a heavy jacket (common since it's easier to hide stolen goods underneath)? The carry and home defense ammunition you use should be something that's considered reasonably effective regardless of whether the threat is thin, fat, buck naked or dressed like he's going to the South Pole. Using ammo that's only effective in one extreme, and/or trying to tailor loads for a specific threat or set of conditions is going to get you nowhere because you have no way of knowing what color of crap is going to hit you. And for goodness sake, remember you're not placing your faith in a single COM hit doing all the work. Make sure you can manipulate your carry gun and deliver accurate repeat hits even if you're wearing gloves. If you're really concerned about winter carry then don't forget about that important little detail.

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Speer or Federal hollow points all yr round.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I cocktail load year round. JHP in the tube, 1st round in the mag is FMJ. Next 6 are JHP (GS) and the last one is FMJ.

My reasoning for that is: if I ever need to draw, I want the best bullet I own on target first. I want the next one to load no matter what, and if the first one didn't get the job done I may need more penetration, so FMJ gets the call. The next 5-6 are body shots, and the last one is do-or-die. I'm thinking of making the last one the best FMJ +P I can find but I never see any at the LGS.

·
Premium Member
14,684 Posts
if shooting 380, you should prob'ly use FMJ year round, cause 380 HP ammo lacks penetration

.L.T.A.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
Internet picking of nits.

Bob

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
All of this is pretty meaningless - for home defense where carry and concealment are not major factors buckshot or Nosler Partitions will penetrate winter clothing pretty well and in the alternative do pretty well shooting where the winter clothing isn't in the way.

As noted above the answer is go to Goodwill/Salvation Army what have you and buy a representative selection of clothing. Wrap a ham or ballistic gelatin in the heavy clothing and fire a few shots with your choice of ammunition. If results suit you fine. If results don't suit you try a different load or handgun or longarm or whatever until you are satisfied.

Most people find today's loads adequate including the Hornady with plugged hollow points said to prevent the hollow point from filling up with fabric and acting like a solid - the opposite of opening prematurely - you can't win.

Some folks do emphasize premium bullets such as the monolithic Barnes bullets offered as loaded ammunition by Barnes and Corbon among others. Others figure that winter clothing allows them to carry and conceal a larger bore in the winter using maybe a .45 ACP in the winter and an easier to conceal and lighter handgun in the summer anything from an airweight Chief's Special to a mini-polymer auto.

Myself I carried Winchester 9x23 Silvertips which are reported to be fragile and also reported to get through obstacles aided by being pretty speedy. I'm transitioning to a polymer pistol with Winchester Ranger bonded trick bullets and figure I can't do better.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Dependng on where you live this can be a real concern. However, that being said, some of the modern hollow point bullet designs do very well with heavy winter clothing. I still prefer the one gun, one round, one carry school of thought but if you think seriously and make a reasonable choice based on your local situation you will probably be happy with the result, should the need arise.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts