1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this on the Range Reports forum here

Not a fun situation. Anyway, I was looking for a bit of advice from you experienced shooters

- Even though the gun appeared a-ok after the incident, and the smith is looking at it, I'm wondering what non-obvious damage could have been done. Given the fact that the blowback was enough to mangle the magazine and twist the rounds in it, I have to wonder if the firing pin and its chamber could have been damaged.

- As far as I recall, the round fired (in a half-assed way), but the slide never came back until I gave it a solid tug. The ragged edges of the ruptured case appear to be what caused this. Could this have damaged the slide or the breech/chamber as well?

- trigger and hammer appeared fine (when field stripped). Still, the amount of "flak" I experienced blown into my face and the amount of powder residue on my hands make me wonder just how all-encompassing the blowback was. Could it have damaged the disconnected and/or trigger assembly.

- How often does this sort of thing happen? I have to imagine its pretty darn rare, and you can be damn sure I'm never using remanufactured again.

- I have to imagine that every time I pull the trigger from now on, I'll be pretty nervous. Being primarily a rifle guy new to handguns, this whole thing has rattled me nice and good. What can I do to get back on the horse?

[This message has been edited by Kayser (edited 10-28-2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
kayser,
take heart, the 1911 can absorb a lot. after all thats one of the benefits of a steel weapon. secondly, the 45acp is a low pressure weapon, this works in your favor. all this being said it would be worth the the price of the weapon being shipped to kimber for a check-up. make sure you tell them what happened. they have been very good to me with my kimbers. you have a nice weapon, feed it properly. good luck

mark

[This message has been edited by mark (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Kayser

I agree with Mark. Call Kimber and tell them what happened, then send them your pistol. At the very least it will help to settle your nerves. Also, when you get your pistol back, if you are still nervous I suggest you install a set of Pachmeyer grips. These are rubber grips that are molded over a steel liner which will do a lot to contain any combustion products or chunks in the event you have another case rupture.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
60 Posts
bad day. i agree, send it to Kimber for peace-of-mind. That being said, this is a good example of why i don't put ANY cheap ammo thru my weapons. Oh, but i saved some money! Crap. I practice with what i carry. I ain't interested in saving 20 bucks on a trip to the range.
Glad you're ok though.

BMF

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it already, but it sounds like your gun fired out of battery. The disconnector should be given a serious look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts