1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
27,774 Posts
Yes I have been seeing .223/5.56 for +/- fifty cents a round for a while now. That is almost tolerable. But .45 acp just will not seem to budge below about sixty cents a round.
And about any bottlenecked hunting round forgedaboudit. I am glad that I stocked up a bunch of it. I was getting 30-06 for sixty cents a round and 30-30 for fifty cents a round. I do not expect to ever see that again.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It may never be what it was but it will come down more if we can continue to slow down purchases. I’m 100% guilty of buying ammo still cause I love to shoot. However I’ve been intentionally reducing my shooting and purchasing in a small effort to help mitigate. Fingers crossed it will continue to drop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
It's coming down and becoming more available.

I was reading about the .277 Sig Fury today. Eventually, I hope it would bring down prices and increase availability of .223 and .308...

But, I think the whole experiment is a ridiculous fiasco. Will it become a NATO round? Who can afford to produce that round in any quantity and fill a supply line? The US Gov't might spend enough money to prove me wrong, but I'd bet NOT.

And I'll say another thing. I think someone in our gov't is getting a pretty great kickback from Sig. And I think everyone in the industry knows it. And I think that's why we saw so few serious entries in the trials. Period. Sorry, my rant should probably belong in another thread.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Was in our LGS this morning and there's good and bad news here in the Alleghenies. There's lots of ammo on the shelves, including a lot of assorted hunting ammo. Bad news is .223/5.56 blasting ammo is $.60/round and 9mm ball is $.40/rd. Good defensive 9mm is $1.45/round. Everything else is higher; like .308 at over a buck and a half a shot. Lots of primers also, but the cheapest was $119.00/K. We fortunately were able to leave it all there. However a bud showed up today and he'd found me a pound of Accurate #9 for, OUCH, $40. Considering we don't shoot a lot of 10mm, that's good for 560 rounds, or about $.07/round; guess we can live with that.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I've been watching it fluctuate. It seems to have settled right back around where it was just before Russia decided to screw everything up with the Ukraine fiasco.

At this point I'm on the mailing list for 2A warehouse and a few other vendors like Midway so they tell me what their deals are and I don't have to spend hours pouring over site after site. I still do because it can be fun, but not necessary. Just check email and compare & contrast.

Doesn't necessarily mean I'm buying, just a little here or there so I can keep a measure of proficiency. I'm attempting to do what little I can to avoid exacerbating supply issues. But I also still have a working amount of most of the ammunition I need for hunting and what not. Maybe not a stockpile of thousands of rounds, but several hundred of each type needed to feed my guns. So there's also not a pressing need to rush out and buy up every bullet I can afford.

·
Administrator
78,171 Posts
Ammo is coming down in some places, but the small gun shops are still having trouble getting it in and when they do the prices are still out of sight. I picked up some 9mm ammo at Cabelas for a fair price a few weeks ago, but like a lot of big-box stores they're perpetually out of stock.

·
Super Moderator
1,902 Posts
Something on ammunition. Keep in mind the cost of components has increased. Not saying that "good ole days" will never be seen again. Just keep in mind what the components costs. The panic part if the price NOT COST increases is about gone.

With the cost of transportation increasing that will increase the cost of the item. If fuel cost have doubled, those cost have to go some where and as a consumer. BOHIKA. Bend Over Here It Comes Again. Again NOT the Panic part of it.

I have seen a few of those who "panic" purchased selling off to pay for the increased costs of living. This is at the few shows we go to. Mostly individuals and no retail outlets. Found a few hard to find at what I would consider worth the time at the show.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
Another indicator, at least around here, shotgun slugs and 00 are stocked pretty deep. Still high, but they are here and have sat for awhile. That’s the key, they are sitting there.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmmm? . $300.00+ for a case of 9mm in a brand I've never heard is still way off my radar. I haven't seen any price drops on anything around here and even some price increases on .22. But I can still get CCI Mini-Mags for $119,90 per/1000 with free shipping and no tax ... delivered to my door. Yes .22 isn't 9mm but it makes about the same sound hitting a steel plate. And it's a still a lot of fun to shoot.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
9 & 223 are getting way more affordable. Those were in demand the most. Now the manufacturers will be able to divert some of their attention to different calibers. Once you see 45LC, 357, 44 mag and 38 Spl show up, then you know we are getting caught up! Maybe primers will actually be on a local store shelf!

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
The good news is it's sitting on the shelves... it has to do that a while for prices to start dropping in earnest. Prices will continue to come down as long as ammo sits. Or at least you'll start seeing some flash sales to move it.

We are finally to the point that consumers are playing chicken with retailers... if we hold on a little longer, they will flinch.

·
Premium Member
12,176 Posts
I’ve been in the local Bass Pro fairly often lately. Tons of 100 packs of 9mm are just sitting untouched.
Lots of 223, 22 and cases of shotgun. Mixed in are 357 Sig, 40 and even a few 100 packs of 38 Special. It does not appear much is moving at all and very few people are vulturing up and down the aisles.

·
Registered
I love 1911s!
37 Posts
Yes I have been seeing .223/5.56 for +/- fifty cents a round for a while now. That is almost tolerable. But .45 acp just will not seem to budge below about sixty cents a round.
And about any bottlenecked hunting round forgedaboudit. I am glad that I stocked up a bunch of it. I was getting 30-06 for sixty cents a round and 30-30 for fifty cents a round. I do not expect to ever see that again.
Not sure if we can say individual retailers, but I got 400 rds of S&B .45 a couple of months ago for about 55 cents/rd at Able's.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Went to buy ammo at the usual suspects and Wally has a "lot" of ammo (compared to a month ago anyway) and quite a few different cartridges, with limited shotguns shells (12 ga. buck and 20 ga slugs in stock at "reasonable" prices, but not much in the way of 20-16-12 shotshells if you wanted anything other than 7 1/2 or 8 shot), the Win Limited edition .22 LR Hi-Vel HP is 8.5 cents, the bulk Federal is 6 - 6.5 cents. The big box store used to have a WALL OF AMMO, now a shelf of ammo. WWB 200 rds/.45 ACP was $88. Shotshells were limited and EXPENSIVE! Dealer for steel shotshells are from $9 to $27 EACH! Look at the recoil figures of some of the 3 1/2" steel loads! How about 82 fpe out of a 8 lb gun?! The .458 out of a 8 lb gun is 62 fpe! Since it usually takes two or three steel loads to kill a duck/goose, I'm not sure I want to spend $27/$54 to shoot a duck OR goose!

Went to a gun show last weekend (two days ago) and nearly every table had ammo. Armscor 40 gr., lead, standard vel., 50 rds, $8! 16 cents/rd! Shotgun shells were about the same, 50%-75% higher than Wally. Well EVERYTHING there was about the same, WAY, WAY, WAY more than I'd spend for it! Plus it was a tiny show! I was happy to see ammo everywhere, but not pleased at $2-$4 CF ammo and sixteen-twenty cent .22s!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts