1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 1575 Posts

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My local Wal-Mart has Winchester .45 ACP, 230gr. FMJ, in the white box, packaged in 100 round boxes, for $31.33 per box, tax included ($28.98 before tax). Is this a good price? Should I hurry in and get a couple more? They had a big stack of them, I wasn't sure they had ammo at all.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
If you apply the theory of relativity to ammo prices, you will find:

Compared to the prices from a few months ago, $30 isn't that great a price.

But, compared to the prices a few months from now, it may be an excellent price.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,668 Posts
A better deal at Wal-Mart currently is CCI Blazer Brass...45ACP, 230gr. FMJ, if in fact they stock it at your store and you're willing to use that ammo.

It's now $11.97 for a box of 50...or the equivalent of $23.94 for 2 boxes of 100.

That's a savings of $5.04 for 100 rounds before tax compared to the WWB.

Wal-Mart just increased the price to $11.97 from last month's price of $10.97.

:)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Find a WM near a heavy concentration of retail stores that include sporting goods stores that sell ammo. We have a couple that sell BB .45 for $9.57 a box. Others in the same city but away from the competition are $11+

·
Registered
304 Posts
they are $28.98 at the wal-mart near me also. But i live in NH were there are no taxes so thats the final price (i love not having taxes on everything!).

I too was having second thoughts about buying them at that price!

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Guess I need to shop a little more. I tend to shop in the "Oh, that's what I need!" camp. I saw Winchester, and immediately figured good quality. I know they were cheaper than the Federal's I bought when I bought the gun.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I was talking to a friend in Atlanta and he tells me he paid $32.99 plus tax for a box of 50 Remington UMC .45 ACP 230gr. JHP yesterday. Are the price increases hitting this hard everywhere or did he get ripped???

·
Registered
65 Posts
About two weeks ago I only paid $12.98 per 50 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Sounds like he didn't shop too well.-Tim

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
$33+tax for 50 rounds. OUCH!!!!!

jimm said:
About two weeks ago I only paid $12.98 per 50 at Dick's Sporting Goods. Sounds like he didn't shop too well.-Tim
Today 05:24 AM
$12.98/50 is a pretty good price though for JHP - are you sure it wasn't just the FMJ you got for $12.98/50?

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just bought 500 rounds of it at Dicks last night. If you buy it by the 500 round case you get it for $10.98 a box of 50. It was fmj though

·
Registered
491 Posts
IIRC I paid about that for a box of 100 Remington 230 JHPs at WalMart...but prices are rising rapdily all over for ammo and components...so stock up now

·
Registered
491 Posts
Was reading on the Bersa forum from ColoradoGunworks gunsmith that
he had a gun sent in for warrenty due to squib load barrel damage...and
Winchester denied any problems but quietly went about recalling the ammo
which was 380acp....also reported problems with 40 S&W ammo with same
squibb problems...so....no more WWB ammo for me...go with Federal, Remington, or Fiocchi....

·
Registered
320 Posts
Just got this yesterday
----------------------------------------------------------

WINCHESTER AMMUNITION

June 29, 2007

TO: All Winchester Ammunition Customers

During the past several years our industry has experienced a dramatic escalation of raw material costs used in the manufacture and transportation of ammunition. This trend continues on several of the key ammunition manufacturing raw materials, particularly lead. Additional price increases will be necessary to cover a portion of these unprecedented costs.

We fully understand the complexity of implementing in-season price increases and appreciate your cooperation. Due to continued escalating raw material costs, it will be necessary for us to implement a price increase on all shipments of ammunition and components within all trade channels. Projected increases as listed below will be effective on all shipments beginning September 1, 2007:

Lead Shotshells 15%
Steel Shotshells 10%
Centerfire Rifle 15%
Centerfire Handgun 12%
Rimfire 15%
Component Bullets 10%
Component Shellcases, Primers and Wads 5%
Lead Shot Call for Quote

Winchester will issue revised price lists and programs with symbol level detail in the next few weeks for your planning purposes. There may be some symbol specific exceptions to the percentage increases listed above.

We appreciate your understanding of this difficult decision and your continued support of Winchester Ammunition.

Sincerely,

Brett A. Flaugher
Vice President, Sales and Marketing

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Along with recalls on 4 lines of 22 ammo for double charges in some lots, the latest is Super High Velocity and PowerPoint with lot #s XN, YA, YB and YC.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I hate to say it, but Winchester's ammo QC appears to have gone to crap -- at least, in the .22LR line.

I have some older Super-X .22LR ammo I bought c. 1992, and some purchased in the late 80's, and the quality seems dramatically better than what they are pumping out now. It is really a shame, as for so long, Winchester produced very high quality ammo/components, in my experience.

I first found out about their garbage ammo problems when testing some early Winchester Power Points in a Shilen-barreled 10/22 a few years ago. Accuracy was excellent at 50 yards, so I bought a brick of a recent lot (all I could find at the time.) I was plagued with occasional odd reports while shooting, at at 25 yards, the odd rounds were accompanied by fliers 1" out from the main group, off a rest. That is really, really bad in a rifle that will shoot one hole at that distance. "Hmmm, bad lot," thought I, and went and bought a brick of Powerpoints from another lot. Same problem.

Haven't bought any since, but I still have 3 boxes of the original, good lot squirreled away, as it were, for hunting only.

Lowering the quality of ammo from a company that is an American icon just totally sucks, in my opinion. :barf:

John

·
Hold my beer & watch this
5,570 Posts
Your buddy should have shopped around a little. But if he paid that much at the range I can believe it.

1 - 20 of 1575 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.