1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone can inform us how long this ammo shortage will last? i was told by our local firearms shop another few months to a year, still have a few thousand rounds but looking to purchase more, 9mm federal P, looks like every online shop is out of stock as well, any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The "shortage" started in about March or April of 2020... at least the run out did. If you have an Academy nearby you can wait in line on receiving days about 1-2 hours before they open for ammo at a reasonable price... or other similar retailer. Otherwise the gun shows are up to about $1 a round for run of the mill range ammo.

Weather this anyway you can, and prepare like heck for the next shortage.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Fist....The gun/ammo market was so soft up until Feb 2020 that distributors were reducing inventory to help cash flow and manufacturers had cut way back....50%+- in many calibers. Remember.....you could buy a case (1.000) of 9mm fmj for $120 a year ago!!! So stocks and manufacturing were drastically reduced due to bottomed out demand. Second.....We don't mine.....it's done in third world countries......we don't process ore to create raw materials for manufacuring......it's done in China (thank you Pres Yomamma).......we dont produce much powder........but we do make ammo. But by the time all the stuff is mined...shipped...processed....shipped.....and manufactured in a covid world it will take year(s?) to catch up.....especially with the fear fuled demand. I work at a large retail firearms dealer.....everybody is arming themselves. Just my $0.02

·
Registered
30 Posts
I agree, we're in these for long haul, into 2022. Even with ammo containers arriving from Europe not even a dent in supply & demand.
Yep, I am friendly with several local gun shop owners here in central Virginia and from what they tell me and what I read on my own, ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with demand and shortages could potentially last a year or more. Add to this supply/demand issue are states with anti-second amendment governments like mine, Virginia, who are working hard to make it next to impossible to purchase ammo online by creating Calif. style laws requiring background checks on ammo purchases and laws to put oppressive taxes on ammo purchases and high cap mags. If you are not into reloading now would be a good time to seriously look into it before the cost of the raw materials start to skyrocket, or possibly start a reloading coop where you could pool your finances to support folks that reload and share in the supply.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
My crystal ball is saying a year minimum, but that's only if all of the planets align in our favor. Given that the odds of that happening are slim to none, it may very well go longer than that. Once Trump is out of the picture, the ire of the leftist loons will turn on us. Firearms and their accessories are low hanging fruit, in the scheme of things. Thanks to the uninformed American voter, leftist corruption, and a worthless Republican party, one way or another, this shortage could go on for a good, long while. Ignore the old saying "elections have consequences" at your own peril.

·
Registered
810 Posts
It will be in short supply until they can get new laws in place to tax it 4000% or some astronomical number. You won't see ammo back on the shelves in any number for either 2 years or never again. Because.. A: the covid has to die off and B: even if they flooded the market tomorrow, "we" would buy it up as fast as it hit the shelves. So until everybody has 10k rounds of every caliber in their house, it's gonna be a famine.

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
The way things are going - it may be over already.

This is the new ABnormal.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
If the democrats are successful in their attempt to instigate a requirement for a FEDERAL license to possess firearms or ammunition the panic buying and stashing will continue in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
23,485 Posts
These bitches will not have their way. They will crimp us for a year maybe two. But it ain't over until the fat lady sings. Get your donations out now to the gun rights organization of your choice. We will beat these bitches back.

·
Registered
175 Posts
anyone can inform us how long this ammo shortage will last? i was told by our local firearms shop another few months to a year, still have a few thousand rounds but looking to purchase more, 9mm federal P, looks like every online shop is out of stock as well, any help would be appreciated.
I saw some youtube videos stating it could last for two years just like what happened in 2008.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yep, I am friendly with several local gun shop owners here in central Virginia and from what they tell me and what I read on my own, ammo manufacturers cannot keep up with demand and shortages could potentially last a year or more. Add to this supply/demand issue are states with anti-second amendment governments like mine, Virginia, who are working hard to make it next to impossible to purchase ammo online by creating Calif. style laws requiring background checks on ammo purchases and laws to put oppressive taxes on ammo purchases and high cap mags. If you are not into reloading now would be a good time to seriously look into it before the cost of the raw materials start to skyrocket, or possibly start a reloading coop where you could pool your finances to support folks that reload and share in the supply.
Most components are available but primers are absolutely in extremely short supply...most those available go at price-gouging prices....

·
Premium Member
8,259 Posts
I saw some youtube videos stating it could last for two years just like what happened in 2008.
A bit longer than 2 years!!
O’bozo gets the credit for putting more firearms and ammunition in the hands of the private sector than anyone ever had. Right now, we have 4 more years of the same. I just hope there is enough other BS going on that guns and ammo take a back seat for awhile. Problem is, there are too many bitching liberals that have made it their life’s mission to ban everything gun related.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
It'll last as long as we make it. The demand is so high because everybody is freaking out, and rightly so. As long as people are buying up more than they need, the supply will be short and prices will be high. Either A) they don't come for guns and ammo and everybody relaxes. Or b) they do come after guns/ammo and it gets a whole lot worse.

Whatever happens is anybody's guess. But A is a good bet.

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
Remember the toilet paper? It's the same thing. A guy is worried he'll run out of buttwipe, so he buys two cases of it. Another guy sees it and does the same. Now the shelf is empty so the next guy goes to another store and cleans them out. It spreads, and now I'm wiping my ass with paper towels.

People are stupid. I watched a thousand rounds of 9mm sell for a thousand bucks at the gun show last week. All day long. It's insane. That's close to 10x what it normally goes for.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had laid up a pretty good supply prior to 2020. Then I bought a .45, which I had none of, in January 2020. Ordered a few thousand rounds just because. Now with 3 1911's I wish I had bought a whole bunch more!

I believe we are going to see these prices for the next few years. Eventually the availability will be better but the prices will stay pretty much where they are. Just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.

Bob

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had laid up a pretty good supply prior to 2020. Then I bought a .45, which I had none of, in January 2020. Ordered a few thousand rounds just because. Now with 3 1911's I wish I had bought a whole bunch more!

I believe we are going to see these prices for the next few years. Eventually the availability will be better but the prices will stay pretty much where they are. Just my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.

Bob
All I need is primers...soon!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts