1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Scalpers & Gougers. I'll name one. Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. They advertise plenty in stock. 9mm fmj $1 a rd. and up 45 fmj $1.10. JHP's try $2.50 up. I bought a gun from them before. Never again. Nothing. That's why ammo is messed up.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I suspect the legit ammo sellers are matching the scalpers prices otherwise the scalpers buy the entire inventory and resell it. Good 'ol greed plays into this too.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
If the ammo situation is getting any better at all it's only because everyone's credit cards are maxed out.

·
Premium Member
3,032 Posts
The hoarders* and scalpers should be taken to the public square and given a thorough ass kicking.
Yes, you.

*those that buy more than they can use
Why do folks refer to anyone who has ammo inventory as a hoarder? It took me 40 years of financial planning with 2 careers to be able to retire. Does that make me a hoarder? If I have been stashing ammo for 25 years and now have plenty, why am I a hoarder? I have always bought ammo by the case, I saved half for bad times. Well bad times are here, I planned for it because I bought extra (more than I needed). I’m not selling any to anyone at any price. I also own two generators, have enough fuel for a week, food for a month and toilet paper for a year. We have been buying toilet paper by the case from a wholesale distributor for years. That’s no hoarding, it’s planning. I earned every one of my 30 during which I learned to stay ahead of forecast shortages and other predictable crises. Perhaps that’s why I’m the Senior Chief.....besides in the Navy it is referred to as stockpiling and we are famous for it.

·
Administrator
73,401 Posts
To me there is a difference between a hoarder and a scalper, aka profiteer. The hoarder uses his own money to buy lots of something, and then he squirrels it away for whatever reason he comes up with. While some people may not like it, he's not taking advantage of anyone so it's fair and square.

The profiteer on the other hand sees the situation and senses an opportunity to make lots of money, tax-free. He buys up everything he can find and then turns around and flips it for a huge profit. His only goal is to make money off of desperate people. Not only is it unethical, but it is also illegal because it would be considered supplemental income as far as the IRS is concerned. It may also be punishable under state price-gouging laws if they exist. Unfortunately nobody considers these folks to be enough of a problem to do anything about it, and I partially blame store managers who don't seem to care that the same John Doe keeps showing up at 7am every Thursday to buy all the ammo he can, and who might be turning around and reselling it instead of purchasing it for his own uses.

·
Administrator
13,300 Posts
You're going to see larger dealers receive inventory that they back ordered many months ago , which make it appear that things are better .

But it's the same story wherever a dealer looks for inventory . I'll pick one , Sports South , possibly the largest wholesaler for dealers in the country .
As of this morning ...
They stock 1398 different skus of "handgun" ammo all calibers . ZERO boxes of any caliber .

2125 skus rifle ammo . Less than 50 in stock . Mostly safari calibers and obscure Euro metric in stock .
Common calibers 222/22-250/243/6.5Cr/270Win/308/3006/300Win and so on , ZERO .

Shotshell 1731 skus . 1 in stock , 28ga steel .

Rimfire 229 skus . ZERO

If "it" ended today , the industry estimates it would take a year+ to get dealers and distributor shelves restocked .

·
Registered
955 Posts
Seems like Cabelas has decent prices on 9mm. LGS not too much. 380 not so, LGS had some for $1 a round, glad I have enough for now

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Planning ahead for your family's use down the road in an uncertain environment is not a problem IMO. It is prudent.

Not a fan of flipping, but the private customer will pay what they are willing to pay from a private seller. There is high demand. It is reasonably symbiotic.

What I have a problem with is selective distribution to scalpers.
I define the difference between flippers and scalpers as scale of operation.
Steering product away from regular supply chain customers to the highest bidders is morally wrong and usually illegal, but seldom enforced. Must say, I did enjoy seeing the AG take CTD to task finally.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Why do folks refer to anyone who has ammo inventory as a hoarder?
There is a difference in those accumulating over time. Your lifetime supply of ammo was in your basement long before the covid/riot/election/panic started. You bought when ammo was on the shelf for all. Which actually helped now- all of us that bought when ammo was cheap and plentiful helped keep ammo makers in steady demand. You (and many others) have actually helped them hold more capacity for times like these.

Those people we call to be tarred and feathered are those who either:

1. go all over town buying out the inventory of every place they can, right now [in the shortage] with no intention of shooting the ammo and no care for fellow gun owners who might actually need ammo to shoot.
-or-
2. they are at academy every morning buying all they are allowed and repackaging in zip lock bags for the weekend gun shows for 4x-10x what they just bought it for- purely out of greed.

Well, I guess I only speak for myself... but that's my take on it.

·
Premium Member
8,624 Posts
I saw a few posts this week about 9mm ammo getting back in stock.
The riots have stopped. The new gun owners bought their two boxes and factories are starting to catch up.
Hopefully prices will come back down soon.
Those posts were pointing out something that has always been there. Ammo has always been coming up for sale, but at ridiculous pricing.
The riots have not stopped, the media has stopped......reporting it.
I hope you are right about the catching up part. As I mentioned before......one nut goes on a shooting spree and we are screwed again.......or still screwed.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Right on flechero!

Reactions: Therealck1977

·
Registered
355 Posts
Scalpers & Gougers. I'll name one. Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. They advertise plenty in stock. 9mm fmj $1 a rd. and up 45 fmj $1.10. JHP's try $2.50 up. I bought a gun from them before. Never again. Nothing. That's why ammo is messed up.
Exactly this^^^. I got an email from the above mentioned store stating they had ammo in stock. They did, however, 45acp was 59.00 for a box of 50, thats roughly 1.20 a round. Thats insane. Im not paying that kind of money. And that store didn't either. They got it at regular prices and are gouging everyone which is insulting to their customer base. Greed knows no bound

·
Premium Member
8,480 Posts
The hypocrisy of is even better when they want to trade then use regular time values on everything. I called two of them out in trade offers for playing to sets of rules and got snubbed. Its could be a sport if I allowed myself.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
The Superstore you speak of, I believe is the same place around me with multi-locations where customers are lined-up to get in, and when they do on ammo morning...they all go running straight to the ammo to grab their two box limit on very high priced ammo. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 69 Posts