1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Hahahaha...

I recently received an e-mail from some tactical scalping ammo site that I did not sign up to get spam from offering a thousand rounds of some kind of crappy third world Wonder 9 ammo for the paltry sum of $995.00...frack them specifically and the wonder Nine in general!

I'm not sure that there is any 9mm ammo that will ever be worth nearly a buck a round-especially since I never bothered to jump in on the 9mm bandwagon.

Sheesh...

in the last shortage I realized that I was shooting .45ACP ammo for less than .22LR was pricing out at when it was $10 for 50 rds-if you could find it.

I'm shy on Superformance and 6.5mm bullets but since that is a hunting thing for me I'm fine-there are muzzle loaders that can do that even...as for the 6.5, probably about the time the barrel is worn out I'll settle on something and have to start over!

·
Registered
928 Posts
I suspect the legit ammo sellers are matching the scalpers prices otherwise the scalpers buy the entire inventory and resell it. Good 'ol greed plays into this too.
I thought we had a free market system here in the good ole U.S. of A. I'm not an economist, but at the moment, the market is setting the price for ammo and reloading supplies. Know how I know? Because people are paying the current asking price. When the market decides to no longer pay these prices, the price will reset to what the market will bear. But if people continue paying the current prices, then those are the current market prices for the products. You can hardly blame online retailers for selling at the current market price.

As far as hoarders...if you had "enough" of .45 ammo and saw them unpacking a few cases of .45 at the local Wally World, are you telling me you'd not jump in line to buy as many boxes as you were allowed? People are buying more than they need simply because they do not know when the next opportunity might be. So you buy what you can, when you can.

The takeaway from this point in time is to prepare for the next event...which will occur in about 3 years, 9 months. The next presidential election. I learned my lesson during the first Obama election. I'd just taken up reloading, and reloading supplies dried up for about the next year. About 1-1/2 years ago, realizing the election was coming, I started buying reloading supplies. I feel I'm set now for the next couple of years. Am I hoarding? Nope. I simply learned from the past and applied it to my future actions. I'd suggest others do the same.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I managed to get hold of ammo on base. I bought two boxes of something I hope to buy. .44 REM Mag. .308. Only 20 rnds per box. But it seemed high but was actually less than what out on the civilian market.

·
Administrator
73,479 Posts
Reactions: Rumblur

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
The Superstore you speak of, I believe is the same place around me with multi-locations where customers are lined-up to get in, and when they do on ammo morning...they all go running straight to the ammo to grab their two box limit on very high priced ammo. :rolleyes:
I have set myself up so that I never have to do that. Going out early for Black Friday because my wife insists is enough of that crap.

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Because people are paying the current asking price.
And here is where the problem really lies.
Those of us that prepare, and do the right things whilst shunning the procrastination urge, get screwed because of the lazy, greedy few. Those that rely on making a profit off of these fools are in a special class of their own.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Scalpers & Gougers. I'll name one. Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. They advertise plenty in stock. 9mm fmj $1 a rd. and up 45 fmj $1.10. JHP's try $2.50 up. I bought a gun from them before. Never again. Nothing. That's why ammo is messed up.
I saw the same ad, no wonder they have ammo in stock. I sent them a nasty email, told them I had bought from them before (I bought 3 pistols from them) and told them to take me off their mailing list and I was no longer a customer of theirs. We need to tell these vendors something is wrong and that we're going to take our business elsewhere.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There is a difference in those accumulating over time. Your lifetime supply of ammo was in your basement long before the covid/riot/election/panic started. You bought when ammo was on the shelf for all. Which actually helped now- all of us that bought when ammo was cheap and plentiful helped keep ammo makers in steady demand. You (and many others) have actually helped them hold more capacity for times like these.

Those people we call to be tarred and feathered are those who either:

1. go all over town buying out the inventory of every place they can, right now [in the shortage] with no intention of shooting the ammo and no care for fellow gun owners who might actually need ammo to shoot.
-or-
2. they are at academy every morning buying all they are allowed and repackaging in zip lock bags for the weekend gun shows for 4x-10x what they just bought it for- purely out of greed.

Well, I guess I only speak for myself... but that's my take on it.
+1

·
Registered
19 Posts
Let me get this straight ... if I stock up on food, water, toilet paper and gasoline I'm a prepper. If I've stocked up on ammo and reloading supplies I'm a hoarder? OooooK ... well I guess I'm a preporder ? ... a hoarper ? ... cause I have done all these things. My friend says, "Let's take it one day at a time and hope for the best" ... I say, "Look to the future and prepare for the worst" ... but that's just me. ... 😽

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
Noooooo, if you drag your arm across the shelf and completely wipe it out, you are a hoarder. This is exactly what some of these people were doing, and thus the one box limit.
In the times of plenty, just a year ago, and for three years before that, you could buy at your leisure. Stocking up was easy and simple to budget. You are a complete A-Hole if you procrastinate and contribute to the panic buying because you chose not to prepare.
Why yes, I do have a generator, back up water supply and a mountain of freeze dried food.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
I wonder how long it’s going to take before someone realizes this is a perfect time to start a new ammo company.

·
Premium Member
322 Posts
😆 I used to say that too!
I think you would make a fortune if you just made primers!
I wish I could make primers. I paid $300 for 1000 cci 500. My son and wife have been pushing me to pickup a hobby. Long story. I decided to submerge myself into all of it. My oldest found powder today. I might finally get a chance to load now. Of course I only have a BB gun but that’s okay.

·
Registered
90 Posts
There have been several people I know with means that have looked at starting a ammo manufacturing business or importing ammo ( while the Bidenator lets them) . The out of pocket expenses and red tape required for both is staggering

·
Registered
928 Posts
And here is where the problem really lies.
Those of us that prepare, and do the right things whilst shunning the procrastination urge, get screwed because of the lazy, greedy few. Those that rely on making a profit off of these fools are in a special class of their own.
I'm not certain I understand. You mention "those of us who prepare" which would lead me to believe you stock up on ammo in preparation for uncertain times. But then turn around and say you "get screwed because of the lazy, greedy few." If you're not needing ammo, how are you getting screwed? Primers are $300 per 1,000 now. I have plenty so I don't feel I'm getting screwed at this point. So in your particular case, did you prepare by storing away ammo, or did you store away everything BUT ammo and are now blaming others because you didn't?

·
Premium Member
8,667 Posts
In the first place, I am referring to components, I buy very little ammo.
Those of us that “prepare” means we casually acquire all of our components in times of plenty, for a good price. We inventory what we feel is “our” necessary amount to get through a messed up drought such as this current nightmare.
“We” get screwed because we completely lose the ability to replace ANYTHING, for a reasonable price. We are forced to use our entire inventory simply because there are so many procrastinators and asshats that buy ten times the normal amount. If they would get off their arse and prepare a little, there wouldn’t be near the strain on the system. So yes, those of us with a little simple prediction, based on the Virus, the election, the riots, etc, get screwed by the idiots that are still wondering where all the ammo went!

21 - 40 of 82 Posts