1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been looking for a metal ammo storage cabinet that’s lockable but cannot find anything.
What do y’all use to store and secure your ammunition? Where did you buy it? Or if you made something please explain or show pictures for ideas.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I started with a heavy duty locking 🗄 filling cabinet.
Bought it damaged, this is with scratches on it half price.
Now have small gun safe loaded with the military style ammo boxes.
This on sale then with scratches also took 100 dollars off of it.
Small gun safe full mostly rifle ammo , pistol, the filling cabinet for shotgun shells.
But put the high dollar self defense ammo in regular big gun safe.

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
I have an industrial-grade 'half-cabinet' that has been working great for 20 years. One day in the office, the boss came in and announced to the room that he had a steel cabinet if anybody wanted it. I had called dibs before he finished. Got that sucker in the truck and took it home. It was fairly mangy and there was no key. I fixed it up, painting it with sea-green 'hammertone' and I called a locksmith to make a key for it. I cut some thin plywood shelf covers so the ammo cans wouldn't scratch the paint and I was in business. the lock is not to stop a thief, as it couldn't, but to prevent prying little hands from opening it.
The bottom has a piece of wood under it in the center, and the cans on the bottom also support the top shelf.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I've always wanted a nice steel cabinet but any one I have ever found that supports the weight I want, cost more than the would be contents. Steel shelving is very cheap by comparison - but not easily lockable.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I use my OLD gun safe that got to small for the needed space. So I bought a bigger one. Now 1 for each need. Until the next go around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My ammo is a bit of a mess. Organized, but not ideal.

Some of it is in this old safe I bought, at an auction.

Wood Audio equipment Gas Gadget Loudspeaker

Gas Machine Office equipment Audio equipment Wood

Some of it is in this AMSEC gun safe I did a light refurbish on:
Audio equipment Automotive tire Automotive exterior Electronic instrument Bumper

Audio equipment Gas Machine Computer hardware Electronic instrument

And the rest is kept on shelves either in their factory cases/ammo cans, or in totes. I have the totes organized by caliber and type, such as .45 ACP FMJ, .45 ACP JHP. For calibers and types that fill more than one tote, I have the older ones labelled to be used, first. All of the totes and safes have desiccant packs, in them.

Representative sample:
Shelving Audio equipment Box Shipping box Gadget

·
Registered
simplify
494 Posts
I don't understand the use of metal lockable cabinets or safe wouldn't that intensify a possible explosion ? I use several old worn out looking Marine foot lockers set in places where if they blow they can't damage much .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all,

I have been looking for a metal ammo storage cabinet that’s lockable but cannot find anything.
What do y’all use to store and secure your ammunition? Where did you buy it? Or if you made something please explain or show pictures for ideas.
My solution was to invest in some automotive type tool cabinets - what my wife calls garage furniture. Not expensive like Snap-On, but Stanley, all black, remove the Stanley logos and it sits discretely in my office. Craftsman would work fine too. I bought a bottom roll around along with 2 mid sections - one stacked on the roll-around, and the other on a front load wood chest I've had for years. Each drawer holds 50 - 70#, ball bearing guides, with locks on each cabinet. Not much defense against a determined thief, but keeps grandkids and prying eyes away. When I go to the range, I take a 50cal can and fill it up with whatever I need that day.
Just bought a side cabinet, also black that will go right alongside the roll-around. Another 7 drawers, with a lock, ball bearing slides, and will hold 350#.

·
Administrator
75,384 Posts
Ask yourself who you're locking it up for. Kids? Nosy wife? Any simple sheet-metal locking cabinet or low-end so-called "gun safe" from an outdoor store will work. Harbor Freight also has a few. If you're trying to secure it from an actual thief then you'll need to go with a proper gun safe with locking bolts, even if it's less fancy than one you'd put your guns in.

·
Registered
25,598 Posts
I don't understand the use of metal lockable cabinets or safe wouldn't that intensify a possible explosion ? I use several old worn out looking Marine foot lockers set in places where if they blow they can't damage much .
We try to keep our explosions to a minimum.

Ask yourself who you're locking it up for. Kids? Nosy wife? Any simple sheet-metal locking cabinet or low-end so-called "gun safe" from an outdoor store will work. Harbor Freight also has a few. If you're trying to secure it from an actual thief then you'll need to go with a proper gun safe with locking bolts, even if it's less fancy than one you'd put your guns in.
I am just trying to keep things organized. As for security, we take the layered approach.
Product Shelving Packing materials Gas Publication

·
Premium Member
5,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The problem is finding something that can hold ammo. Most of these metal storage cabinets have flimsy shelves.
I just like to have a tidy man cave. I don’t like looking at random boxes just sitting around.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The problem is finding something that can hold ammo. Most of these metal storage cabinets have flimsy shelves.
I just like to have a tidy man cave. I don’t like looking at random boxes just sitting around.
A lot of what options you have/are best depends how much you are trying to store.

·
Premium Member
16,292 Posts
Well if containment was a hazard, I guess the Army wouldn't keep ammo in ammo cans. Ammo in a fire doesn't really explode. It'll probably pop the top on an ammo can as the rounds cook off but the propellant just burns - rapidly.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts