1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Based on emails I've been getting over the past 7-10 days, the supply chain has caught up with demand on ammo and supplies are increasing. However, pricing isn't really decreasing much. As an example, 50-round boxes that used to be under $10 a box are now "on sale" at between $25-$30 a box.

From my economics training, this is suppliers trying to test the market to see if they can establish a new, higher, "normal" price. As consumers, we shouldn't fall for this. Don't buy it unless you're absolutely out. As the suppliers eat unsold merchandise, the pricing will be forced to return to normal.

Bear up and be strong. We can get the price down again.

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Yep, until we let some inventory sit on the shelves a while, prices will remain high. If we can resist it a little while, prices will creep back down.

I'm already seeing same emails as you but with added free shipping so they are trying to incentivize us to keep buying.

·
Registered
570 Posts
There HAS to be some increase, though. The cost of raw materials used in the manufacture of ammunition has gone up, some by a lot. The cost of fuel to ship that ammo has risen quite a bit, also. The old days are gone, and the merchandise will never go unsold no matter how high the cost ... someone will always be desperately seeking bullets.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree completely, as long as people keep paying what they are asking they have no reason to lower prices. Walking by the ammo on the shelf and not buying it just because it’s there will be tough for some

·
Registered
100 Posts
There HAS to be some increase, though. The cost of raw materials used in the manufacture of ammunition has gone up, some by a lot. The cost of fuel to ship that ammo has risen quite a bit, also. The old days are gone, and the merchandise will never go unsold no matter how high the cost ... someone will always be desperately seeking bullets.
I’m ok with and understand some increase, it’s not a 100% increase, probably not a 50%. Once things get back to “normal” I would say ammo will be 20%ish higher going forward than precovid

·
Registered
9 Posts
Based on emails I've been getting over the past 7-10 days, the supply chain has caught up with demand on ammo and supplies are increasing. However, pricing isn't really decreasing much. As an example, 50-round boxes that used to be under $10 a box are now "on sale" at between $25-$30 a box.

From my economics training, this is suppliers trying to test the market to see if they can establish a new, higher, "normal" price. As consumers, we shouldn't fall for this. Don't buy it unless you're absolutely out. As the suppliers eat unsold merchandise, the pricing will be forced to return to normal.

Bear up and be strong. We can get the price down again.
Amen to that. I was initially quite happy to get a notification from MidwayUSA the other day that they once again had some ammo in stock. The happiness didn't last when I saw they were asking $35 for a 50 round box of 9mm, $71 for a 100 round box of .380 and $60 for 50 rounds of .45! Agree that ammo costs will likely never be as cheap as "normal" before all this nonsense and some permanent increase in price is in our future, but certainly not a 100%+ increase! The fewer people who resist paying these prices, the sooner more reasonable prices will come.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I in my area the big box stores have kept their prices closer to reasonable, academy has had 9mm on the shelf for 2 straight days

·
Registered
4 Posts
I believe that it wasn't long ago that most of the ammo makers notified dealers to expect a 15%-20% increase when things normalized

·
Registered
22,100 Posts
A range/store runs indoor USPSA on Wednesday evenings. Attendance is low and falling as people's supplies of ammo and components are used up. Owner said yesterday that it is getting close to being too low for him to continue.
He said his ammo prices were easing and he was going to drop name brand 9mm from $29 to $27 and foreign econoball to $15. But that he has no secret source of primers for reloaders.

·
Registered
373 Posts
The owner of my LGS / range to help his patrons on these hard times of overpriced ammo, has raised the range hour from $9.00 to $15.00 ............ what a creep.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Normal" will never return. Just like the flood of phony money in the 60's and into the 70's to fund the Vietnam War AND LBJ's Great Society (which turned out to be anything but great) and caused ever spiraling price increases, they've unleashed a torrent of Greenbacks the likes of which hasn't been seen since the Wiemar Republic. Get ready to carry your Deutsche Marks, er, excuse me, Federal Reserve Notes to the local gun store in a wheelbarrow, and have them keep the wheel barrow instead of the FRN's.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
The owner of my LGS / range to help his patrons on these hard times of overpriced ammo, has raised the range hour from $9.00 to $15.00 ............ what a creep.
Yeah, I agree - a real bozo! I mean, its not as if its his business and primary source of income or anything important like that, right? OTOH, 15 bucks an hour is the going rate around here. No sympathy from me, amigo.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Yeah, I agree - a real bozo! I mean, its not as if its his business and primary source of income or anything important like that, right? OTOH, 15 bucks an hour is the going rate around here. No sympathy from me, amigo.
I don't need your sympathy, and you aren't my amigo, brother or friend, and I pay only $7.00 anyway ex LEO.

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
I don't need your sympathy, and you aren't my amigo, brother or friend, and I pay only $7.00 anyway ex LEO.
That's it! You're coming off my Christmas Card list.

Reactions: et2041

·
Registered
9,269 Posts
I am seeing some movement downward on prices. Of course the prices still vary so you have to make an effort to find the best prices. Good quality 9mm target ammo can be had now for 50 cents a round. Hopefully as production continues to increase there will be more downward pressure on the price. At least there is now actual widespread availability for people who are in need.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I couldn’t take it, and bought.
400 rounds of WWB 230 gr ball.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My BS meter is going off. I could understand 10%-20% max increase. Right now with the latest pricing we're looking at 300%-400% increases. This is not understandable nor acceptable.

·
Registered
93 Posts
There will never be a return to $13 per box. Even if the hoarders stop hoarding. Joe Biden's inflation is going to kick in real soon. Why would ammo be exempt? I'm paying 40% more for gas now, why would that not pertain to ammo as well?

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Its called capitalism. What knucklehead would price any ammo at pre-pandemic levels

1 - 20 of 95 Posts