1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
There will never be a return to $13 per box. Even if the hoarders stop hoarding. Joe Biden's inflation is going to kick in real soon. Why would ammo be exempt? I'm paying 40% more for gas now, why would that not pertain to ammo as well?
Probably not unless there is some unforeseen bump in ammo manufacturing. Inflation has been lurking in the background for years with all the accumulating debt but it is now breaking down the door. Economic reality is about to replace the magic kingdom we've been living in.

·
Premium Member
6,114 Posts
When demand goes up like a Saturn V booster the way it did, you can't expect prices to come back down any time soon. The last time this happened with Obama it took nearly two years. Keep in mind that not only did the cost of materials go way up, manufacturers had to incur a lot of extra cost adding more production capacity and personnel. It takes time to get things back to normal once the pressure is off, and they have to figure out what the new 'normal' is while doing that.

Just like the last couple of times, reloading is the way to go if you're trying to be as economical as possible. I learned my lesson the first Obama scare. I still have components left from that one, and haven't hung myself out to dry like a lot of guys did. The best way to get through times like these is use lots of common sense, buy in bulk, and stop wasting ammunition like you did when it was plentiful. Too many guys are afraid of losing their edge if they don't practice. I shot combat pistol matches for ten years. I haven't done that for a long time, and can't remember the last time I went to the range to practice. If fact, the most I've shot in the last two years was 30 rounds of .45 when I renewed my CCW last year. I can still put 3 mags worth into a group the size of a teacup at 25 ft as fast as I pull the trigger. You don't lose your edge nearly as fast as you think you do.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I am seeing some movement downward on prices. Of course the prices still vary so you have to make an effort to find the best prices. Good quality 9mm target ammo can be had now for 50 cents a round. Hopefully as production continues to increase there will be more downward pressure on the price. At least there is now actual widespread availability for people who are in need.
I’m seeing the same thing. As others have said, I’m resisting the urge to restock at inflated prices, even turning down a few hundred rounds of 45 at 60 cents per, but when I saw 1000 rounds of 9mm Winchester at $500 delivered, I couldn’t resist. I don’t begrudge vendors making profit while the market is good but have little tolerance for profiteering. The line between them can be fuzzy though.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There will never be a return to $13 per box. Even if the hoarders stop hoarding. Joe Biden's inflation is going to kick in real soon. Why would ammo be exempt? I'm paying 40% more for gas now, why would that not pertain to ammo as well?
That's an easy question to answer. Gas is more expensive because Plugs took away the self-reliance on oil that we had under Trump. By cancelling leases and then the pipeline, he took away the ability to control our own destiny with fossil fuels.

Your analogy is apples and oranges. The only reason for any ammo price increases was demand outpacing supply. We the consume control demand. When that goes down, the price comes down. But if start signalling to the suppliers that we're willing to pay 3X what we used to, they're going to be more than happy to charge us 3X of what they used to charge. We have total control of that equation.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
The owner of my LGS / range to help his patrons on these hard times of overpriced ammo, has raised the range hour from $9.00 to $15.00 ............ what a creep.
It may very well be that the guy is a jerk, but I imagine that the range has fewer people coming in to shoot, because they can't find or afford ammo. Since he is still paying the same for electricity, taxes, insurance, labor, etc., etc., maybe he needs to raise prices.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Probably not unless there is some unforeseen bump in ammo manufacturing. Inflation has been lurking in the background for years with all the accumulating debt but it is now breaking down the door. Economic reality is about to replace the magic kingdom we've been living in.
Check ammo prices in Canada and EU. The prices went up very little. If people stop emptying shelves ammo prices will come down to few dollars above what it cost a year ago.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Demand is still ahead of supply, and prices will be high as long as that is the case. Give the market time to reach a "normal" equilibrium. We have seen this many times in the recent past, and it always plays out the same.

·
Registered
92 Posts
That's an easy question to answer. Gas is more expensive because Plugs took away the self-reliance on oil that we had under Trump. By cancelling leases and then the pipeline, he took away the ability to control our own destiny with fossil fuels.

Your analogy is apples and oranges. The only reason for any ammo price increases was demand outpacing supply. We the consume control demand. When that goes down, the price comes down. But if start signalling to the suppliers that we're willing to pay 3X what we used to, they're going to be more than happy to charge us 3X of what they used to charge. We have total control of that equation.
Not exactly, bb. Inflation, inflation, inflation. All your neighbors, and mine, who get nice fat checks for not working, are going to be forcing you to pay a ton of money for things that are reasonable now. It just needs a few weeks to work its way through the markets.

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Not exactly, bb. Inflation, inflation, inflation. All your neighbors, and mine, who get nice fat checks for not working, are going to be forcing you to pay a ton of money for things that are reasonable now. It just needs a few weeks to work its way through the markets.
BINGO !!!

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
The market forces are at work, folks. Ammo has to come back first and become plentiful before prices will begin to come down. It's not going to work the opposite way, ever.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,199 Posts
The market forces are at work, folks. Ammo has to come back first and become plentiful before prices will begin to come down. It's not going to work the opposite way, ever.
This - from Economics 101

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was in Norman Oklahoma today. The only handgun ammo they had was 9mm, White box and some off brand ball ammo was $30 a box but they had plenty of it. AA 12 gauge was $40 per hundred. On 20, 12 ans 28 gauge. The had 300 BLK for $30 for 20 rounds subsonic Hornady. They had some import 22 at $8 per 50. That is all they had.

I refuse to pay as prices will stay up as long a people cave and buy at that price, simple economics, a marketing strategy is simply to price based on fear and keep the price up as long as you can keep the fear up, that creates panic buying and hoarding and maximize profit. MBA 1987.

I choose to shoot a lot more 22, reload what I can, shoot more BB and CO2 guns. I choose also to use this time to work on my crossbow accuarcy and other forms of shooting. Just makes sense. Otherwise, you are paying the ransom, a fools errand. I did of course expect this and have a 2-3 year stash which I assume gun people did. Just common sense.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I was in Norman Oklahoma today. The only handgun ammo they had was 9mm, White box and some off brand ball ammo was $30 a box but they had plenty of it. AA 12 gauge was $40 per hundred. On 20, 12 ans 28 gauge. The had 300 BLK for $30 for 20 rounds subsonic Hornady. They had some import 22 at $8 per 50. That is all they had.

I refuse to pay as prices will stay up as long a people cave and buy at that price, simple economics, a marketing strategy is simply to price based on fear and keep the price up as long as you can keep the fear up, that creates panic buying and hoarding and maximize profit. MBA 1987.

I choose to shoot a lot more 22, reload what I can, shoot more BB and CO2 guns. I choose also to use this time to work on my crossbow accuarcy and other forms of shooting. Just makes sense. Otherwise, you are paying the ransom, a fools errand. I did of course expect this and have a 2-3 year stash which I assume gun people did. Just common sense.
You assumed incorrectly, some of us were no so smart. I didn't have much of anything, and now I'm paying for it. But I'm with ya, I've pretty much stopped shooting altogether. Not gonna play this ridiculous game. No different than the toilet paper thing.

·
Registered
193 Posts
You assumed incorrectly, some of us were no so smart. I didn't have much of anything, and now I'm paying for it. But I'm with ya, I've pretty much stopped shooting altogether. Not gonna play this ridiculous game. No different than the toilet paper thing.
Actually, I am old and got caught short before so I have been stocking up slowly since the Obama shortage, it actually was not so short just prices doubled. A case of 5.56 could be $175 one day and $275 the next. Some of you remember when we ordered many cases from Cheaper than Dirt, paid for it at the $175 and before it shipped they cancelled the orders saying it was out of stock. One day later, the exact product was back in stock but for $275. I had multuple cases of 5.56 and 7.62 x 39 on order that cancelled. To this day I will not buy anything from them.

As a trainer CCW and military, I learned a long time ago, there is very little value for 99% of us to go fire 300-400 rounds of 45 at a single setting. Firing 50 rounds precisely has far more value to the brain and does not impose the fatigue factor. Then firing 50 rounds of 22 from a like platform can really aid in shooting skills.

If you keep shooting until you get sloppy you can even do harm to your shooting skill. That is why you take exactly how much ammo you plan to shoot no more. And if you get to a point of really good shooting, stop, save any ammo you gave left and leave while your form is good in your mind. It's a brain thang.

The other thing I do is have ARs is both 5.56 and 7.62 x 39. I can still buy the 7.62 ammo for 40 cents each, the 223 is double that., so you know which one I shoot. The 7.62 x 39 is just a superior round to the 223 in an AR anyway, much more fun to shoot and half the price. Just my way. I have plenty of money, just no interest in wasting it.

My 2 cents

·
Registered
122 Posts
Not going to buy .38 Special revolver because I do not have any ammo to use in it. I can't believe some are paying $50 to $60 for a box of .38 ammo. A small Detonics .45 is a possibility because I have both 1911 magazines and .45 ACP ammo for it. Going to hold out for nice stainless one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, I agree - a real bozo! I mean, its not as if its his business and primary source of income or anything important like that, right? OTOH, 15 bucks an hour is the going rate around here. No sympathy from me, amigo.
$15 per hour? Good grief! I have 2 LGS's within 20 minute drive, first charges military/LEO $6 for all day Tuesday - Friday and bring your own targets, second is free all day M-W-F for teachers, Th free for military, free to LEO every day but have to buy targets at $3 each.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Not going to buy .38 Special revolver because I do not have any ammo to use in it. I can't believe some are paying $50 to $60 for a box of .38 ammo. A small Detonics .45 is a possibility because I have both 1911 magazines and .45 ACP ammo for it. Going to hold out for nice stainless one.
Ya gotta realize that this is not the nauseating “new normal”. Screw that phrase.
Buy the 38 if that’s what you want! Ammo will become available for a decent price again.

21 - 40 of 92 Posts