1911Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
It may very well be that the guy is a jerk, but I imagine that the range has fewer people coming in to shoot, because they can't find or afford ammo. Since he is still paying the same for electricity, taxes, insurance, labor, etc., etc., maybe he needs to raise prices.
He has ammo, all you want 9mm target @ $35.99, he must be really suffering, selling used Glocks for $700.00, MPs and Sig 320s above that, this was two Sundays ago, when I finally found a parking spot and came in for a quick question, he is a very religious guy so I'm sure that he won't be overcharging his flock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
WHO IS CHARGING RIDICULOUS PRICES? I do not know the answer to that question. I kind of doubt that all local retailers are gouging, more like they're just passing on their price increases. Is it the online retailers and LGS? Or are the manufacturers getting caught paying high prices for raw materials and passing price increases to retailers? I know that metals are getting ridiculous, as there was an article online from a local tv news station about how thieves are stealing catalytic converters, particularly those from trucks. Along with that came a warning about where you park your truck. In any event, the days of $15 ammo are over ( 9 mm ).

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Not exactly, bb. Inflation, inflation, inflation. All your neighbors, and mine, who get nice fat checks for not working, are going to be forcing you to pay a ton of money for things that are reasonable now. It just needs a few weeks to work its way through the markets.
Possibly, but I doubt that ammo manufacturers are paying people at a level where they make just as much sitting at home and living off of the government Covid cheese. Those folks are mostly unskilled labor that you find primarily in restaurants and stores where it takes 30 minutes to get a new employee up to speed. Manufacturing is different.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
As long as people show they are willing to pay outrageous prices , there is no need to lower them. Gotta make up lost revenue somehow.

·
Registered
193 Posts
As long as people show they are willing to pay outrageous prices , there is no need to lower them. Gotta make up lost revenue somehow.
That is a marketing strategy. As long as people are scared and willing to pay the high price, you keep it there until your competitor lowers the price, you can blame it on supply and demand or inflation or covid or riots or whatever. But if your profit is double or triple normal, that is taking advantage of the people down stream. Sure as a seller you may not get more than usual, so you soak the profit from what you get. So, keep the price as high as you can as long as you can. MBA 87

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
That is a marketing strategy. As long as people are scared and willing to pay the high price, ............
Bingo! Keep them scared... Regardless of what we may think, we're an easy people to control. Politicians and marketers learned that a long, long time ago. We ramped up the 'fear-factor' to unprecedented levels with the Covid fiasco, and people bought it, lock-stock-and-barrel, as they say. Can't stop now. What's next, I wonder? Aliens, perhaps? Looks like the media has been ramping up to push an alien invasion scenario here lately. Every night it's aliens, UFOs, and grainy, military film reels of who knows what. Think ammo is tough to find now? Wait till the lizard people show up on prime time!!!!

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Yeah, well, then ya have all of the ammo makers, Lowe’s and WalMart. There is no “making up for lost revenue”. These guys have doubled down for the last year and have record sales. We are now at a point to where it is obvious greed.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Guys, there's this theory in marketing..."The market will pay what the market will bear". If people will pay $50 for 100 rounds of ammo today, that is today's market price. If no one pays that price, and the ammo starts collecting dust on the shelves, it will be marked down until it is sold. Remember, no retailer makes a dime on unsold product. So, until folks quit paying high prices for ammo, it will continue to be priced high. We also had ammo scarcity and high prices after the first Obama election. Over time, prices kept coming down and ammo got downright reasonable before the riots and last election. I'm sure prices will return to normal at some point in the future.

·
Registered
961 Posts
f1racefan

Yep, you are correct. And, there will still be those who don't learn from history. They will be the ones whining, again, when we experience the next go around, say in 2027 or so. Off to the range!

Reactions: Ranger4

·
Registered
193 Posts
And now, some of the 34 million people in California who always wanted to own a couple AR s and AKs will be buying them.. And all of them will be looking for ammo...Get ready. I am seeing Russian steel cased 223 and 7.62 x 39 for 40 cents per round. It shoots very well in my AK and in my AR. I have not patterned them for groups but it seems to be at 2 inches or so in my bolt action guns in both calibers. My view is it will not be under 40 cents per for along time to come.

Keep in mind that most of the steel cased ammo comes from Russia and Biden is looking weak on both Russia and gun control. Seems like a no brainer to me that he will ban that source sooner or later. Hope I am wrong. If the foreign ammo gets banned the American made ammo industry will screw us over. Their explanation as to the amount of increase in price is not very convincing. All materials go up in price especially when there is more demand. But it tracks a little above inflation, not to the levels the American companies are demanding. In support of that just look at the 40 cent ammo that is shipped to the US from Russia and other distant places. They buy raw materials on the global market also. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Anything goes bang in an AK

Ummm...2” from a bolt gun? You shouldn’t brag on that stuff.....
I have several bolt guns that group 1/2 moa and have taken goats at 563 yards and white tail beyond 460. The bolt gun is a Mini Mauser Manlicher stock. I have only put it on paper with the cheap ammo one time and it was under 2 inches, a great plinking gun. My Mini 30 is not great but will group under 1.5 inches with Remington ammo, about 2 inches with the cheap steel, which is good enough for plinking. I did kill one very large white tail with it, but it is not a normal hunting gun for me. My point is if it will group 2 inches or less, and is cheap, then it saves my reloading time which I will use for my 257 and 300 Weatherbys. Curiously, I have an AR 7.62 x 39 and it easily get 1 inch or under which is fine with me and that is with the steel cased ammo. Cheap ammo is still fun to shoot even if it is not a tack driver.

When I read about people shooting tiny groups it is usually only 3-5 rounds. And it is usually the best out of many groups, so I try to be accurate when I state groups, by that I mean that if I say a 2 inch group, that means it will do that every time not just on a perfect day.. I have one gun that I can put every round inside a 4.5 inch circle and that is the best it can do. It does better on sunny days though. I think the reason is because my 73 year old eyes just do not see all that well on cloudy days. The peep sight on the Garand is just hard for me to see. In competition me and that gun usually hit the top 10%, which is good enough for me. I assume some young guy like a 40 or 50 year old would do better.

FWIW

·
Registered
11 Posts
As with anything we’ve seen this pat year rise in price we won’t see prices go down. All of manufacturing has taken advantage of us all. That’s the norm now as long as we as Americans let them do this. Boycott is what we need to do. Our pay scales do not reflect the gross increase on everything. Guns and gun related products are a small part of this need to let manufacturers know we are tired of being the ones to pay for inflation.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Anything goes bang in an AK

Ummm...2” from a bolt gun? You shouldn’t brag on that stuff.....
2" from a factory bolt gun with factory ammo used to be considered good. Back in the '80's I can only recall that Weatherby had any sort of accuracy guarantee, that was 1" at 100 yards for a three shot group using Weatherby ammo. That guarantee was only on the Mark 5, not the Vanguard.

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
Yes, but even 50 years ago, 2” was considered total crap for anyone that took this sport seriously at all. I get it though, and I should keep in mind that we are talking about average stuff and nothing refined.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Based on emails I've been getting over the past 7-10 days, the supply chain has caught up with demand on ammo and supplies are increasing. However, pricing isn't really decreasing much. As an example, 50-round boxes that used to be under $10 a box are now "on sale" at between $25-$30 a box.

From my economics training, this is suppliers trying to test the market to see if they can establish a new, higher, "normal" price. As consumers, we shouldn't fall for this. Don't buy it unless you're absolutely out. As the suppliers eat unsold merchandise, the pricing will be forced to return to normal.

Bear up and be strong. We can get the price down again.
Yeah I've seen that I saw 6.5 creedmore going for 39.99 a box of 20

·
Registered
144 Posts
Based on emails I've been getting over the past 7-10 days, the supply chain has caught up with demand on ammo and supplies are increasing. However, pricing isn't really decreasing much. As an example, 50-round boxes that used to be under $10 a box are now "on sale" at between $25-$30 a box.

From my economics training, this is suppliers trying to test the market to see if they can establish a new, higher, "normal" price. As consumers, we shouldn't fall for this. Don't buy it unless you're absolutely out. As the suppliers eat unsold merchandise, the pricing will be forced to return to normal.

Bear up and be strong. We can get the price down again.
Supply has met or exceeded the amount of ammo being fired throughout the entire pandemic.

While there has been a surge in first-time-gun-buyers plus some number of existing owners who decided this was a good time to stock up, the simple fact is that those don't account for the continuing shortage. The amount of ammo being fired has been significantly down throughout the pandemic, especially in urban areas where shooters rely on formal ranges.

Meanwhile production was down somewhat due to the closure of Remington during the bankruptcy/sale/reorganization, but the other major manufacturers have been running at maximum capacity (which is two to three times normal production) since before the "shortage." All the major manufacturers and most of the smaller manufacturers were planning for increased production going into 2020 to meet the needs of the quadrennial ammo surge every presidential election year when both side of the gun debate put their hype into high gear.

No one was surprised that there was a surge in ammo sales, but the manufacturers and distributors were caught by surprise that the surge came earlier and stronger than expected.

There is no question that, even without Remington, ammo production plus imports have consistently exceeded the amount of ammo being fired. Rather than a lack of supply what we actually faced was a bit different.

The initial problem was that the retail ammunition supply chain works on the Just-In-Time principle. No one stocks a year's worth of ammo at the retail level. For common ammo, retail stores stock less than a month of normal sales and they have standing orders already in place for seasonal variations based on local preferences and hunting seasons.

When the surge hit early, yes, it emptied the retail shelves -- for a couple of days before supplies could be restocked from distributors. That unexpected restocking took distributor inventory down considerably. Meanwhile ammo manufacturers were cranking out ammo at a somewhat faster pace (getting ready for the surge they expected in a couple of months) but still based on their normal production scheduling methods. Remember, manufacturers do not make every kind of ammo all the time. Production lines for a few common loads are kept running but most ammo is produced in batches.

Remember all that talk about ammo being "backordered up to a year" -- what none of that talk bothered mentioning was that ammo is normally ordered several months to a year in advance, because the factory is probably only going to crank out a year worth of some specific load during a week or two each year.

What blew the entire ammo supply chain to hell last year was that people saw those empty shelves and they panicked!! The result was a wave of panic buying where people bought up every box of ammo they saw regardless of whether they needed it - some people bought up ammo they didn't even have a gun for.

The panic buying of ammo was basically the same as the panic buying of toilet paper at the start of the pandemic, or the panic buying of bottled water in Florida and the Gulf Coast every time a tropical storm gets a name, or the way "bread and milk" magically disappear from every grocery store in the south any time a TV weather forecaster says the word "snow."

The difference is that the rest of those panic-buying items are hard to hoard and the people buying them typically came to their senses when they ran out of space in the hall closet. But in the face of democrat-sponsored "mostly peaceful" riots all across the country, many gun owners went into Crazy Prepper mode and were willing to stack case after case of ammo in every bit of space they had.

Throughout the so-called "ammo shortage" manufacturers did not generally raise their prices. Most manufacturers didn't raise wholesale prices until spring of 2021 and even now most have increased prices typically about 7-10% which is nothing like the 300-500% price increases we have seen at retail.

Do you want ammo prices to get back to "normal"? -- Just stop buying ammo you don't need at prices you can't afford!

How many of us are really interested in blasting away with a few hundred rounds of cheap poor-quality FMJ range ammo when that "cheap range ammo" is costing over a dollar a round? Are you really that much happier that you can now find cheap range ammo at "just" 79 cents a round?

People ask "When will stores have ammo on the shelf?" The answer is simple, the shelves will fill up when people stop buying every box of ammo on sight just because there is a box of ammo available.

People ask "When will prices come back down?" That answer is even simpler. Prices will come back down about 1-2 weeks after idiots stop buying overpriced "cheap range ammo" at ridiculous prices. Why "1-2 weeks after"? Because that is when the poor beloved LGS owner that has been ripping you off for the past year looks at his full shelves, and his full storeroom, then remembers that he has another shipment due to arrive on Monday with no place to put it. THAT is when prices will get back to "normal"

Hear me -- if you are paying Defense or Match Grade prices for cheap range plinking ammo, YOU are part of the problem.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts