1911Forum banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Walked into Academy today and picked up two boxes of Federal White Box 9mm 115 gr for $21.99 each. That’s a helluva lot better than the $34.99 to $39.99 I’ve been seeing at my LGS.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Walked into Academy today and picked up two boxes of Federal White Box 9mm 115 gr for $21.99 each. That’s a helluva lot better than the $34.99 to $39.99 I’ve been seeing at my LGS.
That's getting better. There's still room for the price to retrench, but that's definitely better.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've seen the stock increase also and some reduction in price. I did buy some 9mm and 5.56 but did so in small quantities just to give me more for practice. As more sits on the shelves, they'll have to move it and will reduce cost like most of you guys have been saying. It pains me to see some vendors still sticking it to the customer but thats capitalism.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Prices are coming down. $25 a box for cheap 9mm is a lot better than $35 to $40 per box. $25 is twice what I'll pay but it's a substantial drop from $40

·
Registered
59 Posts
I bought 2 boxes of Federal 9mm-124gr at Academy on Tuesday for $17.50 / 50 each with military discount. With the cost of components, that's cheaper than I can reload.

·
Registered
973 Posts
After every election, when a Democrat is elected to the White House, we go thru this same cycle. Prices go up, ammo vanishes. But then, things go back to normal.

Do any of you remember how cheap ammo was about a year ago? I thought I heard of some 9mm going for around $180 per case of 1,000. And that was after two rounds of Obama winning. So...sit back, take a breath, and wait to buy ammo if you can.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I was at Scheel's yesterday. They had a lot of ammo available.

9mm, 45 ACP, 22 LR, 223/5.56, 7.62x51, 7.62x39, and many others. Limit was 2 boxes/100 rounds per person. Prices were pretty close to normal.

·
Registered
24,612 Posts
Having not purchased any ammunition since 10/20. I am sitting pretty fat and happy on all of the ammo that I bought back when it was cheaper than I could load it for. I bought a lot and am happy that I did. It was pretty easy to see the writing on the wall. I shoot as much as I want to these days. And never give it a thought. Just sayin.

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
After every election, when a Democrat is elected to the White House, we go thru this same cycle. Prices go up, ammo vanishes. But then, things go back to normal.

Do any of you remember how cheap ammo was about a year ago? I thought I heard of some 9mm going for around $180 per case of 1,000. And that was after two rounds of Obama winning. So...sit back, take a breath, and wait to buy ammo if you can.
Obama may have been pres for 8 years but for most of his term we had enough control of Congress to keep him in his corner. Not counting the COVID mess and resulting disruption in the global supply chain, we now have a hostile president and House of Congress, a Senate slightly under Dem control, and an ATF that is clearly going rogue and about to enact a bunch of Draconian new gun laws just because they feel like it. The only reason why we're finally starting to see some ammo on the shelves is because the manufactures are at long last starting to catch up to the insatiable demand for it. But one new gun law from the Dems or another bad police or psycho shooting and the ammo will all disappear again.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Copper is close to it's all-time high in price per tonne. Given that brass and ammo jackets are both derived from copper, I wouldn't count on 2019 prices occurring anytime soon.

I remember buying Norinco at $.99/box o' 20 in the early '90's. THAT price has never come back, either. 😔

·
Premium Member
9,498 Posts
I bought 2 boxes of Federal 9mm-124gr at Academy on Tuesday for $17.50 / 50 each with military discount. With the cost of components, that's cheaper than I can reload.
Aside from primers, you can still buy powder and projectiles and come out way ahead reloading. Primers are relative, either you have them or you don’t!🙂

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
I remember buying Norinco at $.99/box o' 20 in the early '90's. THAT price has never come back, either. 😔
Norinco ammo was made in Chinese military-run factories and was dirt-cheap for a reason. We benefited from the appalling conditions and non-existent wages those workers put up with. That and the fact that those factories cranked out ammunition by the container-ship load, most of which ended up bound for every Third-World craphole enjoying the fruits of perpetual civil war.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Actually Norinco ran afoul of the Feds for doing illegal stuff. At first it was import bans on most of their ammo and guns they were selling at below cost to make. Then they tried selling guns and ammo illegally. The nail in their coffin was trying to sell missile parts, tanks, etc in the US. Norinco pretty much supplies the arms and ammo to terrorists and dictatorships all around the world. President Trump sealed the bans when he banned US companies from dealing with any PRC owned companies.
ref Norinco - Wikipedia

During their heydays, Norinco would get a importer to buy their products, then flood the importer with guns and ammo until the importer said stop they can't take anymore stuff in. Then they would cancel the contract with that importer, find another importer and repeat the process. Thus the importers wound up having to firesale out everything and lose their shirts in the process as they were all competing with each other. At the time it was great for the buyers as guns were dirt cheap and ammo was dirt cheap too.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
Actually Norinco ran afoul of the Feds for doing illegal stuff.
That's the backstory BILLARY was selling with the '94 import ban. :rolleyes: Make NO mistake - the ban was FIRST & FOREMOST about getting CHEAP ammo & arms, OUT of the hands of law-abiding gunowners. :mad:

YES... NORINCO is the state-owned / state-run arsenal of China. YES... there was probably desiccated dissident mixed in with the gunpowder. But there are a ZILLION other things we STILL bring in from there (ALL our electronics and related computer gizmos, clothes, shoes, etc.) that I'd sooner do WITHOUT (and also made by - and FROM - desiccated dissident, NO doubt), AHEAD of cheap ammo.

Ammo that also worked quite well, I might add.

·
Registered
24,612 Posts
I cashed in on some of that myself. Picked up these two Norinco rifles for 159$ each. Great shooters, if I had had a place to put them I would have bought a pallet of them. I have some of their ammo also. Looking back old Slick Willie did us an unintended favor that likely saved the domestic firearms making industry when he banned all this stuff from importation.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
All that Norinco stuff happened while I still had an FFL. I sold a crap-ton of the SKSs that were coming in at a little over $100 if I recall correctly. I bought, and still have, a boatload of the 5.56 ammo. It goes bang just fine, but it's definitely hot ammo.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Copper is close to it's all-time high in price per tonne. Given that brass and ammo jackets are both derived from copper, I wouldn't count on 2019 prices occurring anytime soon.

I don't need copper or brass in range ammo. I do not mind shooting ammo made by LVE, Barnaul or Tula Cartridge.

Things might improve. Picked up few boxes of Sierra 124 JHP for $1 per cartridge which is only about $2 over what box of Sig defensive ammo used to cost. The product is essentially the same.
This is not bad price for non police contract over-run commercial defensive ammo.

·
Administrator
74,363 Posts
I walked into a Cabelas again this morning, just a half-hour after they'd opened. They'd received a small amount of ammo and the first people in the door at 9am had already gobbled it all up. I saw guys pushing shopping carts who hadn't yet checked out with boxes of .22 and 9mm in them. The ammo situation will officially be improving when folks no longer have to wait outside stores in the wee hours of the morning just so they can get some ammo.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think it is to early to tell what ammo will be priced at. I bought a box of 9mm for 35. I buy a box to shoot, and that is it. Not hoarding ammo. I do that when ammo is priced low, not high. Maybe in 6 months we will see what the prices will be. I can see 9mm boxes being priced at 17 that were 11ish before. Just because the demand was so high, and so many changes.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Yes I see the ammo situation as improving some as more ammo is coming in and staying on their carts or shelves and not just disappearing as soon as the store opens. Our local gun store and indoor shooting range seems to have most everything in stock at present. the prices are up but not exorbitantly. I actually bought three boxes of 10mm from them too. Now then another gun store and indoor range closer to me, still have prices real high on the ammo. But they seem to cater to foreign tourists etc. who want to play with guns. So they are having tourist prices of course. But they do have some cool stuff to rent and shoot though. Albeit I could not afford to rent the M214 chain gun or the Gatlin gun or likely any of the machine guns as the ammo cost alone would be sky high especially for the high volume guns. I could see someone going through a couple of thousand dollars of ammo with the chain gun in just seconds. Academy Sports seem to have decent prices so far, but for some of the stuff they sell out pretty quick even with ammo limits. I think that Our local WalMart just isn't trying to stock or sell ammo anymore, as their ammo cabinets have been empty for over a year now. Some of the other logal gun stores I visited still mark up their ammo sky high though. It looks like the scalpers are going to get stuck with their hoards of ammo though. They won't be able to sell it with huge markups.

61 - 80 of 92 Posts