1911Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying a Loaded for my first 1911, after a lot of research.

I want to get some good defensive ammo. Are there any brands that don't feed well? Any brands to avoid?

Thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've owned an SA Loaded in stainless for about a year or so and it's been very reliable with any factory loaded FMJ ammo I've tried. As far as JHP ammo I've read that Remington Golden Saber is considered very reliable feeding (why I have no idea) in most semi-auto pistols. This is what I keep my home defense pistol loaded with (not a 1911) and if I were to load up one of my 1911's for HD it would be with this ammo. At least this brand would be a good place to start looking for JHP ammo. Just my opinion, good luck with your search.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Any factory FMJ ammo I've tried has been reliable in my MilSpec. For HP's I've only used the Golden Sabres and again no issues. In fact I have yet to have any failures at all in over 700 rounds!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
As far as defensive ammo goes I haven't had any issue with the Winchester PDX bonded stuff.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I've had my Loaded for about four years now. After a fluff & buff, t has handled everything I've put through it except, in the early years, the Hornady SD ammo (probably because of the conical shape of the bullet and I've never tried any since).

Particularly polishing the feed ramp, smoothing slight burrs or catches in the grooves of the slide & frame rails and plenty of break-in.

"The break-in of a pistol does not involve the mysticism and voodoo often afforded precision high powered rifles. Just take it to the range and shoot it, a hundred rounds or so, watching for any malfunctions or strange behavior. Then bring it home and clean it well and re-apply lubrication. If you get through five of these hundred-round cycles without a malfunction, you have a solid and reliable pistol.....

Also see & bookmark: WHY YOUR 1911 AUTO PISTOL WON'T WORK
QUOTE: Before we start, let me make one thing very clear: I love the 1911. I've carried Colt Government Models and Combat Commanders for years, and I'm morally certain I'll carry them again. Some folks have the attitude that the 1911 is perfect -- no weak points, no improvements possible. What a nonsensical attitude! Only with a mature appreciation of the design's strong and weak points and a knowledge of the most common mistakes and pitfalls waiting to trap a 1911 user will you be able to get the most from these guns. Now, why might your 1911 auto not work? I can think of six reasons. These are, in no particular order: (1) incompetent customization, (2) inappropriate ammunition, (3) lack of lubrication, (4) cheap magazines, (5) flaws in the basic design and (6) a propensity toward small-parts breakage. )

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what anyone else's handgun likes or doesn't like. If you are going to stake your life and the lives of your loved ones on your ammo, you need to KNOW without doubt that ammo the you're using is as close to 100% reliable as possible in your handgun. For me that means at least 200 rounds of the chosen ammo through the gun without a hiccup. Others will no doubt say even more rounds than that. That being said, I have yet to find anything that my Mil Spec doesn't like. Both Gold Dots and Winchester T-Series RA45T work fine and are what I use for carry ammo.

·
Registered
155 Posts
^^^^
This
My defensive ammo has to do with me being able to buy enough of it to trust that it will work.
Sxt In 9mm
Gold dot in 45
Hydra shock in 38 spcl
I would probably run corbon in everything if I could ever find a few hundred rounds.

·
Banned
13,564 Posts
Only 2 things I don't run in my guns.

1. Foreign manufacture ammo

2. Any reloads other than my own.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what anyone else's handgun likes or doesn't like. If you are going to stake your life and the lives of your loved ones on your ammo, you need to KNOW without doubt that ammo the you're using is as close to 100% reliable as possible in your handgun. For me that means at least 200 rounds of the chosen ammo through the gun without a hiccup. Others will no doubt say even more rounds than that.
This

·
Registered
162 Posts
Bottom line is that it doesn't matter what anyone else's handgun likes or doesn't like. If you are going to stake your life and the lives of your loved ones on your ammo, you need to KNOW without doubt that ammo the you're using is as close to 100% reliable as possible in your handgun. For me that means at least 200 rounds of the chosen ammo through the gun without a hiccup. Others will no doubt say even more rounds than that. That being said, I have yet to find anything that my Mil Spec doesn't like. Both Gold Dots and Winchester T-Series RA45T work fine and are what I use for carry ammo.
This x10! My EDC is my a SS TRP and I run Federal HST's but before I went with the HST's I bought all sorts of Defensive ammo and ran it through the trials. Out of all the ammo I bought, the HST's did better in my opinion. I ran gold dots, Saber, Ranger, Corbon, and federal hydro shock. All good ammo and out of my tests Corbon gave me a few FTF and FTE...

Run a few hundred rounds, might be expensive but worth every penny if your life depends on your 1911 and ammo.

Just my .02 cents

1 - 17 of 17 Posts