1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a .45 GI milspec, it has .45 auto on the barrel. What is the best ammo to use for the range. Am I just suppose to use .45 ACP.Thanks

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
Yes, you are supposed to use .45 ACP. Get some Winchester White Box 230 gr FMJ for range use. It's good ammo and pretty inexpensive.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
You will probably want to run 230 gr. FMJ .45 through if you are shooting stock ammo.

Check out Natchez Shooter's Supply on the web.....they are/were selling CCI Blazer Alum .45 at a nice price.....compared to most of the .45 ammo out there these days.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went to dicks today. I wanted to buy some .45 ammo. I purchased remington UMC 45 automatic. Is this what I am suppose to use. Nowhere on the box does it say ACP. Is this the right ammo to use??? MC L45AP4 230gr. I don't want to use the wrong ammo. Thanks

·
Registered
27,694 Posts
That's the right stuff. The A in ACP stands for Automatic.

·
Registered
21,988 Posts
Other companies don't like to put "Colt" on their products, even ammunition.
It leads to some degree of confusion. Silly.

It used to be worse, there was actually .32 and .380 headstamped SAP for Savage Automatic Pistol. Back when Savage made handguns they had ammo loaded with their name on it even though it was the same as ACP.
And .38 Colt Special was the same as .38 S&W Special (or generic .38 Special) except it had a flat-pointed bullet. And .38 Colt New Police was the same as .38 S&W, not interchangeable with .38 Short or Long Colt.

There is very little rhyme or reason to it, you just have to learn by rote.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but this isn't by any chance your first gun and/or the first time you've ever been shooting, is it?

If it is, there may be some other things you'll want to do, like inspect, clean and lube the gun, before you shoot it for the first time. It probably would help to familiarize yourself with the operation of the firearm and the various safety mechanisms as well. Much like many do when they work on a gun and shoot it for the first time, you may want to start with a few mags of just one round each, then move to a few with 2, then 3 and then full mags once you know the gun is working properly.

If I'm out of line, feel free to tell me, but based on the questions asked, I get the feeling you may be new to firearms.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
45acp(auto colt pistol), 45 auto, 45 automatic, its all the same stuff. If you are ever confused and its a gun store you are buying from, just tell them you have a 45 cal 1911 and they will be able to tell you which to buy (if you are at wal-mart you are probably on your own).

45LC or 45 Long Colt is the WRONG ammo. Its longer with a rim for cowboy style revolvers and such. Open up abox of that the next time you are at the store and you will see the difference. 45 for 1911's and other automatics and 45 for revolvers are very easy to tell apart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is my first 1911. I didn't want to use the wrong ammo. I also have a glock, sigma, fnp, S&W CS9.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Don't forget:

45 GAP - basically a shorter 45ACP, but don't use it.
45 Auto Rim - much different shape
45 Win Mag - a longer case than 45ACP, still can't use it.
445 Super Mag - rare.
454 Casull - 45 Colt (much higher pressure)

Only 45ACP or 45 Auto will work.

230grFMJ is cheapest and plentiful. Very forgiving with most guns.
I like Wincester white box or Sellier & Bellot for bulk ammo.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts