Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, quick question ……

Is it bad to shoot rounds with aluminum casings (ie .. CCI Blazer ammo) through semi automatic pistols; vs typical brass (Winchester)?

I have been told the aluminum case ammo is not good for semi auto pistols and causes problems and wears out key components?

Is this true or bogus?

Kindly advise, thanks for the support!

:biglaugh:

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Ive shot LOTS of that ammo and have never had an issue with the caseing. Just kinda dirty ammo.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have fired about 2k rounds of 45 acp CCI Blazer aluminum through my kimber with a single problem, also i find that are so much cleaner than WWB or federal American eagle ammo.

·
Registered
75 Posts
aluminum casings are more prone to expand, explode, split or burn in the chamber
I'v seen casings come out of a 1911 that looked like some one took a torch to and cut it

I personally stay away from all steel and aluminum casings
Its much easier to clean a gun than repair one!

also check this
http://www.afte.org/announcements/CCIopenboltwarning.htm

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
We surmised that unlike ammunition that is fully supported by the chamber before it is fired, that the round was being detonated before it fully entered the chamber of the barrel. Brass cartridge cases did not have this problem fired in the same gun, but the aluminum casings do not have the same metallurgical properties.
So baiscally, the Mac 10 was malfunctioning and firing out of battery. Contrary to the conclusion that there was no failure with brass, brass can and will fail when fired from an unsupported chamber as well. I have seen it numerous times with unsupported Glock chambers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
CCI Aluminum is terrible

No one buy it! (now maybe the price will fall and I can buy more)

Seriously, add me to the people that have fired thousands of rounds with no problems.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I used to try and keep Blazer around for situations where I knew I would not be able to recover my brass, such as certain matches and certain ranges.

Never a problem, though perhaps not the most accurate round it always went bang and behaved as expected.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Most of this BS is perpetuated by range operators that reload the brass left behind. It is a pain in the ass to pick out the aluminum casings. Most ranges that reload brass will not let you shoot it in their range.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Most of this BS is perpetuated by range operators that reload the brass left behind. It is a pain in the ass to pick out the aluminum casings. Most ranges that reload brass will not let you shoot it in their range.
Yep, my local indoor range won't allow aluminum case ammo for semi-autos.

We have shot quite a few rounds of Blazer 9mm, .45ACP, .357 and .44 Special without any issues. The aluminum case do tend to stick a little more in the revolvers.

MikeyB

·
Registered
5 Posts
Aluminum will expand and contract with temperature. At about room temp the cases are as them where designed, when you get into colder temps the cases will contract very slightly but enough to make chambering in some firearms problematic. At some point as the cases get colder they do become bridal and will crack when fired or otherwise allow for a major malfunction.

Aluminum will not hurt the steel parts in your gun and if they run good in your gun, great use it, just don’t shoot them in freezing temperatures. For me that makes aluminum cases ammo worth less then brass. Not to mention the reloadable factor.

Steel cases on a separate point are also not reloadable and will hurt your firearm unless that firearm was designed to run steel cases.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've ran quite a few rounds through my Kimber Pro CDP II and my little Colt Defender. As long as the guns were working correctly, that ammo never gave me any problems. They are really inexpensive so I say use them as much as you can!:biglaugh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've run them through a BHP (40), Sig P226 (9mm), 1911 (45) and HK P7 (9mm). Never had a problem with them.

BTW, you shouldn't reload them, but a guy I shoot with reloaded (and shot!) some of my empties as an experiment. I would NOT do that!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've stayed away from blazer aluminum ever since a buddy blew out his extractor while using it (1st gen glock 21). I don't know if it was coincidence or not, and he didn't recover the spent case, so I'll never know if the case ruptured. After reading several hundred positive posts on the stuff from various forums, I ordered two boxes and will be giving it another try. In the current panic buying state, it was the only stuff I could find in stock, and reloading components are getting scarce lately, otherwise I wouldn't bother. Barring a case rupture, I doubt the aluminum case will cause parts failure or increased wear on a firearm, and its coated with something anyway (wolf polycoat maybe?). The steel case stuff is another matter-I use it if it's what's provided for training, but won't buy it. I experienced a case rupture with surplus steel case in a mauser broomhandle, which promptly removed my extractor and sent it to the world of one missing sock.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.