1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Springfield PX9109L and really like it. It shoots POA
and is very accurate :^), I've had it only about 1 month.

Have been using only 230g FMJ ammo and am wondering
if this weapon is already throated for other ammo such as
JHP/hyda-shok/wadcutters etc.

Are these 1911's already setup to feed almost anything
we give 'em ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply! Fella at the local gun store thought
the Springer would only take 230g FMJ so I wanted to be
sure before I spent $$ on other ammo.

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
Welcome to the forum

I don't think you will have any trouble with HP ammo . We sell a few hundred SA's each year and haven't had that complaint .

How hard is it to buy a handgun in your state ? I've heard things are very restrictive . Curious . Thanks .

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Your pistol should be set up to feed just about anything you put through it. If you find that it doesn't feed common hollowpoints, then it needs a trip back to Springfield for warranty work.

·
Registered
745 Posts
My loaded is due back from SA today from warranty work. It had some extraction problems but fed just about whatever I put in it. The only round that I ever had a prob feeding was the Triton Quik-Shok in 165gr + P. A very stout round 1250fps at the muzzel and 572 flbs energy at the muzzel, but with being 165 gr it had a very large cavity in the front. I contacted SA as to what HP ammo they recommended and they told me the Remington Golden Saber. Never had a problem with those!

Enjoy your new pistol!

Hershey

P.S. You may also want to look into Federal's Premium Expanding FMJ. From what I read it has good penetration and expansion, and since it's FMJ there was no bullet/jacket seperation. Some feel that's good others bad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
How hard is it to buy a handgun in your state ?
take handgun safety course($85-125).
pick out gun you want, pay your money
take receipt to police dept
-fill out mental health form
-fill out doctor form
-fill out handgun permit application
-show handgun saftey course certificate
-photo/fingerprint
-pay $24 permit fee(1 long gun permit given free at the time
you apply for handgun permit)
-wait two weeks
after two week wait, pickup temp permit
show gun store your permit
fill out yellow form
they give you your gun
take gun to police dept for them to verify s/n/model/caliber
receive perm permit
the gun is yours.

$24 fee is only one time for photo/fingerprint. no restriction on how many you can buy per month(ala California).

-kotonk

·
Registered
745 Posts
Man that sucks! I live in SC and since I have a CWP, all I have to do is pickout/pay for my pistol, they xerox my DL and CWP, and I fill out 1 form. No wait, no BG check, as I've already passed one for the CWP. Why is Ohio so restrictive?

Hershey

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
It's not Ohio .

As I asked the question to FiveO , I'll assume that kotonk is also from Hawaii .

What a pain . Sorry to hear of your difficulties . I'm sure the citizens of your state are much safer now . :)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oops! My mistake! Still sucks though no matter what state! Sounds like a lot of BS hoops to jump through to exercise your right to bear arms. If only criminals had such a hard time!

Hershey

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah, i live in hawaii...originally from california.

it's kind of funny when i first bought my gun i remember telling myself....man, it's too easy getting a gun. then i learned about other states and how fast you can get a gun in other states.

overall, i can't complain. if i could buy gun in 15 minutes like in other states i would probably end up buying a gun every other week so the government is actually helping me out. :)

and i should mention, that altho hawaii is seen as a gun-unfriendly state, the police officers in the firearms division of HPD are some of the most personable, friendly and professional people i've met. they make no judgements on you about having a gun.

-kotonk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes initially it is a hassle to get your permit. The 2nd, 3rd time
etc it a bit easier since you've been thru the process before.
The officers are all good people just doing their job and are
firearm owners themselves.

We have had incidents in our state where unstable individuals
did obtain firearms and used them to threaten harm others
hence the medical scrutiny here in the islands, the medical
waiver forms have to be filled out prior to obtaining a permit.

Drugs are a big problem here, methamphetamine in particular
and many addicts will commit felonious acts to obtain money
for the drug or commit crime while under the influence of it,
often with firearms.

99.99% of those who register firearms are model citizens and
handle their firearms in a safe and responsible manner, however
the criminal minority who use them with malice give us all a bad
rap in the public's mind.

Thanks for the info on the various ammo useable in my new
Sprinfield loaded, it's much appreciated :)

·
Administrator
13,343 Posts
Thanks for reporting back . Don't be a stranger here at the forum .

I have no doubt that the officers are good guys !

·
Registered
36 Posts
Man, you guys gotta register your firearms. Screw that. The less they know about me and the less they know about what firearms I have the better. When I bought my pistol in Quantico, VA all I did was walk in fill out a form or two, pay, and walk out. Even though there is a rule that you have to be a state resident to buy a pistol I qualified as a state resident because I was stationed there. In florida from what I remember you have a couple day waiting period and they you buy the weapon. If you have a conceled permit you can buy right away I think. (I haven't had a chance to buy a weapon in Florida yet.) I don't know about you guys but the whole point about the second admendment is the right to bear arms; mainly against the government if need be. Why the hell would I want to be on a list that says OWNS LOTS OF FIREARMS. Ahhh, off my little soapbox. I hope florida never gets that idiotic about buying firearms.

·
Registered
447 Posts
FLMarine said:
I don't know about you guys but the whole point about the second admendment is the right to bear arms; mainly against the government if need be.
Dear God, tell me you didn't really mean that. The next phone call you get may be from the Feds.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Geez, Kotonk, I thought things were bad here in the People's Republic of California.

But the comment about the officers in the firearms division being good guys points up one of the dangers of this kind of regulation: what if someday those officers aren't so nice and so accommodating? It would be a lot tougher to get through the process, and the law could end up being almost a de facto handgun ban. That's how things have gone with the Sullivan Act in New York City.

And FLMarine's comment about the true purpose of the Second Amendment is smack dab in the middle of the X ring, but something that most folks in general--and all anti-gun types--seem to forget.

And now the feds can knock on my door, too!

·
Registered
140 Posts
it's actually not that bad....as five0 said, it gets easier the 2nd and 3rd time around.

if you don't like it join and support the NRA. we are all NRA members, yes?

yes, i'm a NRA EPL member.

-kotonk

·
Registered
36 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by FLMarine
I don't know about you guys but the whole point about the second admendment is the right to bear arms; mainly against the government if need be.

Yeah, I did mean that. One of the main points of the Second admendment was to prevent a tyrant government from forming as well as our rights to protect ourselves. The second admendment does not say that we can only bear arms in order to protect ourselves in our homes at 2am from burglars. My thoughts on the Government are as follows. It's a DAMN good government; the BEST in the world. I am currently Government employed by the Marines if that says anything about my love of this country, its government, and its constitution. The hypothetical situation that makes my opinion about government not knowing what I have is as follows. Let's say some idiot in the government wants more power than he has and decides to confiscate all firearms to make sure he isn't opposed. I don't want a knock on my front door with a list of all my weapons to be confiscated. Just because it isn't likely to happen doesn't mean I'm going to give up my rights.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Whew....glad to hear that your reference to "bearing arms mainly against the government"....is "hypothetical." Thought for a moment you were proposing to shoot them out of office rather than vote them out of office. I know your SPC at TBS didn't espouse that. Good luck in flight school and have a rewarding career wearing the EGA. Been there, done that....for 30 years.
Semper Fi,
Deke

·
Registered
36 Posts
Deke, my SPC was crazy about the constitution. Gave us all copies of it and had us read it again (or for some idiots the first time). I guess I'm just one of the few people who's a sucker for things written by great people. Thanks for the encouragement Deke. I just got back from a three hour instrument flight in the T-34C. Going up tomorrow for some spins, touch and go landings, and some more instrument flights. So far I'm loving it and I'd love it even more if I got Hueys or Super Cobras to fly. I'll find out in about four months what airframe I get.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts