1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is my understanding that the following ammunition types are recommended for reliable/accurate performance from my new Wilson CQB... while I'm sure there are numerous posts regarding the appropriateness of this ammo versus that ammo I was posting this new post primarily because I was looking for fresh information...

Specifically, where can I find .45 ACP JHP in 500 round or thousand round cases at the best price? Anyone locate any deals recently? I am seeking any of the following as it is my understanding that these are recommended factory loads (I don't have any capability for reloading).

Federal Classic 45D 230 gr. JHP
Federal Hydra-Shok 230 gr. JHP
Hornady 200gr. XTP
Black Hills 230 gr. XTP
Winchester SXT 230 gr. JHP

I apologize if this thread should more appropriatly be placed in the ammo thread but I wanted to put the thread here where there might be some sensitivity to the oft-mentioned selectiveness of Wilson pistols as far as what sort of ammo they like to eat... I don't have access to anything but winchester white box and remington umc hardball locally.... oh yeah and some horrendous wolf, UGH. Thanks in advanc!

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
I carry Federal Hydro shoks in my gun and use Federal American Eagle for most of my range shooting. They both shoot to the same point of aim.
You don't have to spend so much for practice ammo.
JHP ammo is alot more expensive than ball.
If you prefer Winchester carry the SXT round and use the USA white box for practice.
Remington carry the Saber round and use UMC for practice.
About once a month shoot whats loaded in the gun, shoot some ball rounds and after you clean your carry gun, load some fresh carry ammo.
I buy most of my ammo form Natchez Shooting suppy.
They have some awesome case prices

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm

no problems with winchester white box? I thought I remember reading that the WWB is specifically advised against by Wilson...am I wrong? Obviously, if WWB is a recommended ammo, that would be my choice b/c it is the cheapest one I can find locally (wallyworld)

I use WWB for all my 9mm range shooting but I have no desire to put anything not recommended in my Wilson... I know that JHP is expensive but I can't get anything recommended by Wilson locally so I have to order....economically speaking, I fell I would probably do best if I order in a significant quantity...

Anyone else have thoughts on WWB? I would love to have Bill Wilson's blessings to shoot the cheapest stuff I can but with this much invested in the pistol, I'll spend the extra money on the good stuff just to avoid even one headache.

If I could get Federal American Eagle locally I probably would use that but if I have to order, I'd just as soon spend the extra money on some nice JHP ammo

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Couple years ago 230g S&B FMJ was on the list of approved range ammo. My Classic eats it just fine, and loves Winchester Ranger SXT RA45T 230g JHP. Last 500 round case I ordered through www.proload.com. I still have an issue with any pistol not being able to feed any decent ammo, especially if the gun costs $2000!

·
Registered
872 Posts
I have been getting some great case prices from Natchez. They have a smoking deal on American Eagle 9mm 115 FMJ right now.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Prior to shelling out a bunch of $$ for case lots of ammo, I'd buy a box or two of each of your JHP candidates to see how they group and function out of your pistol.

Natchez has Federal AE ball at a super price, as well as CCI Blazer. I've used MFS ball from AIM Surplus in my Wilson Protector for two Gunsite schools (350 & 499) with great results.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I carry LEO Ranger SXT's and do most practice with white box from Wally World. When going to the farm for the weekend (lots of shooting) I will get a case of 230gr Blazer from Natchez. They generally have the best handgun ammo prices. Being on the East Coast, if I am in a hurry I will buy from Ammoman. They are also great to buy from. My Wilson 1996A2 feeds everything I give it now that I passed the 500 round break in and replaced the original Wilson magazine. For whatever reason, that mag would never feed properly. Especially American Eagle. My new 8 rd Wilson mags are flawless.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FYI

I bought some El Cheapo UMC at wally world and got my first time on the range.

OMG! This gun is fabulous.... I felt like an expert shooting it as my groups tightened up SUBSTANTIALLY from anything I have ever shot with a pistol before.

The UMC ran through the gun flawlessly though I could feel more resistance when closing the slide after about 200 rounds. I think next time I will try WInchester White Box as it's a savings of about $7.00/100 rounds and can't possibly be dirtier than the UMC, ugh.

Once the pistol was cleaned, the slide regained its smooth return to battery....the resistance was obviously caused by excessive powder fouling. It should be noted however that the slide never failed to fully close and I experienced no FTF or FTE etc. Frankly, I am wholly relieved b/c I have not had one failure with my cheap Ruger P89 in 5,000 rounds and I might have had a stroke if I had problems with this not so inexpensive pistol.

I, for one, cannot get over this gun. It functioned absolutely flawlessly and shot outstandingly. I hope this pistol will continue to impress me as much as it has already.

I finally have my answer to the nagging question of whether this pistol is worth the price. yes, every last penny.

·
Super Moderator
1,895 Posts
Just a side note on bulk style ammo such as American Eagle, Winchester White box, Remington UMC and the host of others out there. This applies to all of it.

There has been lots, meaning a series or lot number, that has been a issue for some makers of guns whomever made them. I have had a case several years ago of the CCI that was the best malfunction drill ammo made. Yet since and before never an issue other than operator.

Same for one of my clients with American Eagle about 12 months ago for about one month then new lot or run no issue.

So keep in mind the tolerances of the ammo made or manufactured and a rate that exceeds any 1000 guys working their Dillions as fast as they can there may be a slight tolerance issue in tighter built guns than looser guns. (Yes, I know the stuff is made by machine producing million upon millions of rounds an hour).

That does mean to me at least an issue with a premium ammo such Hydrashock, Golden Saber, Gold Dot or whatever needs to have further examination if the operator and the magazine are eliminated as the source of the issue.

Just some food for thought.

What do I shoot. The cheapest junk ammo I can find for target, and paper as if there is an ammo issue I clear it quick and drive on.

I look at it like this. Sometime using low or no octaner cheap gas in a race car engine an occasional ping may occur when worked hard.

Performance ammo or performance gas is entirely another story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts