1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you folks seeing in your area with current stock/pricing of ammunition? Is it better, or worse than say a year ago? Are price's stable, or climbing? Sportsman's warehouse in this area had quite a bit overall; but spotty on some things. Lots of defense type 9mm, .45 acp etc., but no cheap bulk range type. Lot of rifle ammunition, but no .243 win. ????? The small owner stores have a better overall selection; it still seems surreal. Also, owner stores here [these stores are the size of about two bedrooms put together] have as many firearms as they ever had. Looks to me by a rough count to have WAY more in stock than the s. warehouse. Looking forward to your experience and feedback.

· Registered
21 Posts
I live way from nowhere, but had to get new prescription lenses, so upon going to the eye doctor, I took a minute or two to stop in at one of the stores to see about ammo. Everything was HIGH. Walked back out thanking the Good Lord that I had stockpiled what I did before the world seemingly took a wrong turn into this parallel reality. I refused to buy any that they had, even though I would have liked a box of .357 mags that were there. It's just like the twilight zone. Not long ago, I would have just grabbed boxes of what I needed. The only thing reasonable was 9mm, and even that was twice as high as 3 years ago. I never took a good look at the rifle ammo, I may have been too scared.
Edit: Adding here to say, yes, it was the same here, there was a lot of expensive hyped-up defense ammo with the amazingly absurd bling boxes, but not really any bulk type, which is what I was looking for to start with.
Every time I look on Midway and see that they don't even have .30-30, I feel a bit odd about the world around us and go back to watching my black and white movies, hoping I'll wake up the next morning back in my own reality.

· Registered
1,593 Posts
Living in an area that's a bit off the beaten track our 2 LGSs have plenty of ammo and the prices still off the chart. Think the one store has pretty good traffic from the adjoining state and I'd bet that's where a lot of their ammo goes. Local folks aint buying much at current prices and we certainly haven't heard the amount of shooting around here for the last couple of years like you used to. In the summer we always used to hear the groundhog hunters shooting late in the day all summer long; not so for the last few summers. Have had more folks than ever over the past couple of years ask if I'd reload ammo for them though. Don't do that except on a rare occasion.

· Registered
216 Posts
In my area (Northwest Georgia) ammo is back. That being said its more expensive. Range ammo is about $5-6 dollars higher for 50. Ammo like HST is about $12-16 dollars more for 50. I did see some FMJ 357 Sig for $46 dollars a box which have a layer of dust on them. That being said no .410 and primers of all sizes are 100 per 1000K.

· Registered
13,728 Posts
Same as Fletch. I’m even seeing sales on the popular stuff 9mm and 223. The big difference is the ridiculous price for things such as 38 Spl, 357 and 44 mag/Spl. Shelves are fully stocked and the range is full of folks. Makes a guy feel good to see so much interest, especially from the ladies.

· Registered
497 Posts
Oh, I agree completely.
Demand drives this nonsense.
It is kinda silly when you put a 45ACP next to a 380 and realize that a box of the latter costs more..😆
Well, didn't some kind of FBI sponsored study establish that .45acp produces same effect as 9mm Luger? I would leave .45ACP to more mature and experienced users just like leaving them pre-lock, pre MIM, pinned and recessed S&W revolvers. Does it make sense to pay 2x> for old product when 🔐 hole can be plugged for about $50. The MIM parts S&W uses do not break.
The .45acp can't compete with .380 because guns for that caliber are substantially larger and not everyone wants to use belt plus suspenders. They did make very small .45acp, but few were made, therefore, prices for used sample are very high. The slide has to be operated manually from shot to shot.

· Registered
13,728 Posts
Well, didn't some kind of FBI sponsored study establish that .45acp produces same effect as 9mm Luger? I would leave .45ACP to more mature and experienced users just like leaving them pre-lock, pre MIM, pinned and recessed S&W revolvers. Does it make sense to pay 2x> for old product when 🔐 hole can be plugged for about $50. The MIM parts S&W uses do not break.
The .45acp can't compete with .380 because guns for that caliber are substantially larger and not everyone wants to use belt plus suspenders. They did make very small .45acp, but few were made, therefore, prices for used sample are very high. The slide has to be operated manually from shot to shot.
😆🤪 What in the world dood! I just said 380 ammo cost more than 45….S&W, MIM, Keyhole plug….😆

· Registered
4,833 Posts
Around here in North Texas there has been a big improvement. I am seeing cartridges show up on the shelves of the less than common stuff. 45-70, 30-06, .243, 30-30, .270, .300 mag etc. heck even some .500 S&W is there on the shelves too. No old military calibers for mil-surps though. There for a long time we only had the really popular calibers on the shelves.

· Registered
165 Posts
Here in west Texas shelves are full mostly. Prices are coming down, but some calibers are still outrageously high. Or, take for instance 6.5 Grendel; it is nowhere to be found yet! It is a favorite of mine so I sort of keep an eye on it; I reload and have ample supplies to last…a while. But it is interesting to observe. Saw a box of 20 .450 Bushmaster at $59 a week ago. It is seemingly erratic, but your common fodder like 9mm and .233 are almost reasonable again in most big and small stores. Almost every LGS has plenty of guns, mostly all polymer stuff and Tupperware stock rifles. One LGS in Lubbock that I check when ever we go into town has a good assortment of guns, lots of steel and wood too. They have quite a few 1911’s but cannot keep any CZ’s in stock. BTW, I am not trying to poopoo polymer guns, I have owned several and still own a few, but for my part I prefer steel and good wood.

· Registered
716 Posts
I don't get out much anymore. I did get to Rural King and Bud's guns last week - they didn't have much in .38 Spl. the only thing available in 158 gr. was Federal LRN at $34 a box of 50 - the rest was 125 and 130 gr. Jacketed which I don't particularly like. RK did have some bulk boxes of 125 flat point for $250 for 500 rounds - but that doesn't do much for me either (price is OK but the bullet isn't).

Guess I will continue to have to "roll my own" 😢

In general, prices seem to be lower than last year - still not low enough!

Riposte

1 - 20 of 20 Posts