1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have an AMT Hardballer Longslide, and it shoots great. The stainless has held up just fine. And it just looks mean, sorry I am at work now and cannot post some pics. If I had the chance and the money I would probably buy another AMT firearm.

Happy Shooting

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Owned a longslide once

7" slide on a Para Ordnance frame.

I've seen some AMT 1911's that look like the quality control fella or lady was asleep. To be honest, the flats of my slide seemd to get wider towards the front but you could only tell if you really looked.

Anyway, I've also seens some great AMT .45's too. I wish I could be of more help. :(

·
Registered
341 Posts
My one experience with the AMT Hardballer was not a good one. Many of the 1911 Magazines that I had on hand (Wilson, Metalform, Colt) would not seat in the gun and I had lots of malfunctions. Tried lots of tricks and nothing seemed to make the gun run right. Got frustrated and got rid of it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I never owned any, and have seen a few. amt made some interesting stuff from the backup, hardballer, long slides, auto mags, 10-22 and mark II copies.
but I've never seen one workout of the box, every AMT I've seen had problems and should not have left the factory in that condition.

·
Premium Member
5,400 Posts
Collin, most AMT guns are sought after by AMT collectors. I have heard good and bad about their guns but just like any other manufacturer you can get a bad one in the bunch. I personally like the AMT line of guns. I have an IAI Auto Mag lll in 30 Carbine and it is a great gun. What model and how much is the asking price of the one that you have located?

·
Premium Member
962 Posts
I had a Longslide years ago that I bought used. It was a great shooter. Accurate and reliable with any ammo. If the one your dealer has was made in Irwindale I'd buy it. If not I'd pass. When the old man died, the kids let the Company go to hell. Newer AMT's that I've seen and shot are finicky at best and QC is questionable.
Tomcatt

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sold a lot of them back in the late '70s when I had an FFL.

One sear broke into three pieces, one recoil spring plug came apart, that's all. Replaced the parts with Colt.

They seemed to be good guns. All needed trigger jobs, but so do Colt, SA and most others.

No idea what one's worth now.

John
Cape Canaveral

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I too did not have a good experience with mine. Jeff Cooper wrote it up in Guns&Ammo back in the early 70s' and I had to get one. It was the worse 1911 I ever owned. It had sharp edges like a razor blade and would not even feed FMJ ammo. Frankly I recommend you pass and look for a stainless Colt, early Kimber or even a Randell if you can find one.

·
Registered
23,256 Posts
I know of two locally, bought and shot new in the 1970s. Neither was worth a hoot until their owners, one experienced amateur gunsmith, one very experienced toolroom machinist, did a lot of tinkering and parts replacement. Then they shot ok and showed no wear with what would now be +P loads due to tough material of construction.
But you can do better now, unless one is very cheap and you are willing to fool with it.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Two hardballers, a longslide, and a skipper ... none would function properly even after sending back multiple times. However ... 4 different 44 automags function flawlessly! A nice 6 pt elk rack hangs in my garage as testiment to the 44AMP.

mefly2

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've owned a Hardballer for years and can honestly tell you that it will outshoot my Gold Cup anytime. I have also read for years in many gun forums about poor quality and what total pieces of crap they are....mostly by people wh have never owned or shot one. I will agree that not all AMT products are perfect. Yes some are worthless as far as quality goes..but there are many that are superb shooters. Some need tinkering..as do Colts, Kimbers, etc. And yes...Colt parts do fit !!

Just my .02

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Mefly2, I hope that someday somebody ressurects the .44 AMP and "fixes" whatever labeled them as "prone to breakage".

I think it was just the extractor or ejector. Not sure.

Anyway, one can dream...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have an AMT Hardballer, and have put about 4500 rounds thru it. It functions great with ball ammo or hollow points. It is also my primary carry weapon. This is just my experience, but this weapon has never let me down and I wouldn't trade it for nothing.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Mefly2, I hope that someday somebody ressurects the .44 AMP and "fixes" whatever labeled them as "prone to breakage".
The thing that broke the most, in my experience, was the bolt rotation pin. There was a run of very brittle ones about 1974.
Every 400-500 rounds I polished the recoil spring guides. Other than that, I can't remember anything going wrong.

My AutoMags were in .44 and .357 AMP. Great guns and I was a fool to sell them, even for the high price I got.

:bawling:

John
Cape Canaveral

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.