1911Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's shaping up to be a great Christmas this year! I have spoke of this thing on other posts, but it finally arrived. I returned from an out of town trip and found this waiting for me! It's a Caspian officer length frame with a commander length 10mm slide. Nowlin Guns did the work on it for me. I won't say it's finished as I have a few other mods planned for it. I'll give more details and better photos a little later if anyone is interested......

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am working on another one of these little jewels (this time a Colt frame and a Caspian slide and small parts) and would like a little input concerning Schuemann barrels. I was on their website a little while ago and was their website and noticed they sold a N/W ramped barrel with a .40 diameter bore in commander length. Has anyone ordered and used these barrels in a build in conjunction with a Caspian slide? Any input would be appreciated.... Ock

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got around to posting some specs.....

Ok, as previously stated, gun was assembled by Nowlin Guns.

Frame - stainless Caspian officer
Barrel - Nowlin Ramped 10mm commander barrel
Slide - Caspian Commander slide
Sights - Nowlin Lowriders

Nowlin Pro Action Kit Installed:
Trigger is Nowlin set at 3.5 lbs.
Hammer is a Nowlin Speed Demon
Grip Safety - Wilson

I basically sent Nowlin a frame and they supplied and fit the complete upper and sent it back as you see it above. It carries better thank I expected and shoots like a dream. I took it to the range and shot 250 rounds of fairly hot 10mm loads without a single FTF. Life is good!

·
Registered
14 Posts
That is exactly what I'm looking at having built for me. I'm curious as to why Nowlin has the barrel stick out so much. If you don't mind me asking, what's something like that run you as far as gunsmithing costs. I plan on ordering Caspian lower/upper and sending it to someone to build for me. Right now I ain't got the money for anything but planning:mad:.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Beautiful pistol. Nice choice of stainless parts on the receiver and black parts on the slide, with stainless bushing/plug at the end. What guide rod does it have? Be sure to show us pictures of the .40 as you build it up on the Colt frame.

Where do you find Officer size magazines in 10mm? On this forum we also seen custom OACP pistols in 9mm and other small calibers. Other than 45acp, I seldom ever encounter short magazines in 9, 38, 40 or 10. Is there a plentiful source somewhere?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments. I must say it shoots as good as it looks too! I don't have a breakdown of the gunsmith costs (he supplied a good majority of the parts in the gun too) but there is a total of about $1600 invested in the Nowlin gun. I would glady pay more for the results I've experienced. I have a Wilson CQB that I love and paid a lot more for, but this one took the Wilson's place as my favorite.

The guide rod is one that Nowlin provided and installed. It is the two piece variety. The 10mm officer magazines are from Metalform. They are not cheap, but where else can you get them? BTW They function great.

http://www.metalformmagazines.com

This little guy now has about 500 rounds through it. I have had one FTF and that was because I limp wristed it to try and make it jam. It did.... I really am not a big fan of the rubber grips, but they do help you hang on. I compare firing this gun to shooting hot loads from a Glock 33 (357 SIG). It has some bark (and bite too!) Being a little heavier than a plastic fantastic, it doesn't recoil as much, but more than my .45 Officers ACP.

The Colt frame just went off to Tripp Research where it will be built into another interesting piece. This one will be a Hybrid barreled Colt Officer lower and a commander upper. It will come back wearing a nice coat of hard chrome. It too will be a 10mm. I'll supply photos once I get it returned (supposedly 6-8 weeks). It should be worth the wait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.