1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I must drive to New York City next week. My route will take me through West Virginia and Pennsylvania. My understanding is that I can possess a pistol in Pennsylvania, except Philadelphia, without a permit. I will not risk an arrest by trying to finesse the law, or other (to me) risky business. I want to securely store a firearm (or two, or three) somewhere say near Easton PA for a few days. Travel to the Big Apple, see the opera, and drive back to lawfully pick up my gun(s) before going home. Obviously, I am willing to pay any reasonable sum for this service.

Time was in this country a guy could go to a bus station/train station/hotel and check a locked bag. Pick it up 24/7. Nobody cared. Times change.

Any ideas about secure storage? Alternate plans? Suggestions.

If it matters I have carry permit in my home state, a non-resident permit for Florida, and an FFL.

Like Ross Perot once said, "I'm all ears."

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,177 Posts
You can call and ask any LGS’s nearby where you’ll be, to see if they’ll store them for you.
No idea what they’ll tel you.
There are storage facilities, here’s one below:

·
Registered
841 Posts
There exists a federal code that is addresses "Peaceable Journey". The Federal Code 18 USC § 926A says that as long as the owner of the firearm can legally carry in the state they left and the State they are traveling to, the firearm is unloaded, and that the firearms and any ammunition are not easily accessible, they can legally cross state lines. This addresses that Federal interest in the situation.

I don't know that mechanics around how a Federal Code can be enforced differently in different States, but it is. Some States laws honor this as written. Some have laws that add or amend it. Some do not honor it at all and will mess with you in spite of it. You will find that some States who do not honor it do so because they have no need to. Their firearms laws are so lenient that there is no need. An example would be VT. Some States don't honor it because their firearms laws are so draconian that they don't allow for any kind of firearms carry that has not jumped through their endless hoops. An example would be Connecticut. It is left up to you to know the difference.

So, in your case, New York and Pennsylvania both subscribe to the Peaceable Journey code, but it can mean something a little different in each State. One State might not specify any conditions where the other might say emphatically that it only applies as long as your wheels do not stop turning on your way through the State. So you would need to know this.

Here is the Fed Law: Peaceable Journey Law
Here is a rough layout of where it exists: Comparison of Peaceable Journey Nationwide

I would say that if you make sure that you are legal to carry whatever you are transporting in the State that you are leaving and the State that you are going to, you have disassembled your guns as much as reasonable and have stored them in the vehicle such that you could not easily get to them, and have stored an ammo as far away from the guns as you can get them, you might be okay. The problem is, there are some States that hate guns so much (Maryland comes to mind) that if your guns are discovered your are just going to get charged with, and probably arrested, for a host of local gun violations and they will leave it up to you to prove that you broke no laws. A nasty jail stay, five years, fifty grand, and a hope of recovering your confiscated guns later, you might be found to have broken no law.

You need to remember one thing if traveling with guns. If an Officer asks you if you have guns in your vehicle, you need to tell the truth. Yes, there might be consequences to that. But, if you lie and you are discovered, there will be serious consequences (some States actually have laws that speak to nasty consequences) and the issue then will not be whether or not you are okay having the guns. The issue will be the lie and you will not win that one. It will remove any "good will" that you might generate by believing that you are in the right. Lying means that you know that you have something to hide. Not a situation you want to be in with guns.

So, unfortunately, any time you travel across this country with guns you need to ask yourself - "Am I feeling lucky?"

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I discovered that I violated Massachusetts state law the last time I went through there. I found out the easy way because I guess I got away with it. I agree with leaving your guns at home when you're traveling interstate in the Northeast. You might as well just take all your clothes off and walk the streets like every other hobo up there.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
I would probably leave them at home. If the police could think of any reason at all they will confiscate your guns and you won't get them back. A friend of mine lost a Python in Mass., he was asked if he would like to give the gun to the officer or go to jail. This was several years ago, maybe it's better now.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There exists a federal code that is addresses "Peaceable Journey". The Federal Code 18 USC § 926A says that as long as the owner of the firearm can legally carry in the state they left and the State they are traveling to, the firearm is unloaded, and that the firearms and any ammunition are not easily accessible, they can legally cross state lines. This addresses that Federal interest in the situation.

I don't know that mechanics around how a Federal Code can be enforced differently in different States, but it is. Some States laws honor this as written. Some have laws that add or amend it. Some do not honor it at all and will mess with you in spite of it. You will find that some States who do not honor it do so because they have no need to. Their firearms laws are so lenient that there is no need. An example would be VT. Some States don't honor it because their firearms laws are so draconian that they don't allow for any kind of firearms carry that has not jumped through their endless hoops. An example would be Connecticut. It is left up to you to know the difference.

So, in your case, New York and Pennsylvania both subscribe to the Peaceable Journey code, but it can mean something a little different in each State. One State might not specify any conditions where the other might say emphatically that it only applies as long as your wheels do not stop turning on your way through the State. So you would need to know this.

Here is the Fed Law: Peaceable Journey Law
Here is a rough layout of where it exists: Comparison of Peaceable Journey Nationwide

I would say that if you make sure that you are legal to carry whatever you are transporting in the State that you are leaving and the State that you are going to, you have disassembled your guns as much as reasonable and have stored them in the vehicle such that you could not easily get to them, and have stored an ammo as far away from the guns as you can get them, you might be okay. The problem is, there are some States that hate guns so much (Maryland comes to mind) that if your guns are discovered your are just going to get charged with, and probably arrested, for a host of local gun violations and they will leave it up to you to prove that you broke no laws. A nasty jail stay, five years, fifty grand, and a hope of recovering your confiscated guns later, you might be found to have broken no law.

You need to remember one thing if traveling with guns. If an Officer asks you if you have guns in your vehicle, you need to tell the truth. Yes, there might be consequences to that. But, if you lie and you are discovered, there will be serious consequences (some States actually have laws that speak to nasty consequences) and the issue then will not be whether or not you are okay having the guns. The issue will be the lie and you will not win that one. It will remove any "good will" that you might generate by believing that you are in the right. Lying means that you know that you have something to hide. Not a situation you want to be in with guns.

So, unfortunately, any time you travel across this country with guns you need to ask yourself - "Am I feeling lucky?"

Good luck.
Thanks for your intelligent and well-researched response. Your final question is the exact issue. The answer is at my age and given my experience, "no." In my home state my firearms license number is identical to my DL number. I fear my state's license tag might pique an officer's interest. Likewise the Florida beach driving permit on the back glass. I know about the defense provided by 18 USC § 926A but that's what I regard as "finessing" the law. I would offer that in court, after I had been arrested, bonded out, hired local counsel, and lost my gun(s).

Too risky for a guy my age who just wants to see an opera. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
This is the perfect situation for a gun related organization that I think more people should know about.

Hold My Guns

Check there and see if they've got a place nearby that can help you out.
A great idea and a real need.... I would have guessed locations surrounding NY, IL and along the CA border... maybe still new or not yet up to speed?

·
Registered
27,775 Posts
Can you legally bring a Kimber Pepper Blaster or similar item, as an alternative?
They are illegal in NY, any kind of pepper spray is. A friend of mine that I shipped with from New York came down for a visit with his wife one time. His wife kind of freaked out seeing the pistol on top of the refrigerator. She exclaimed, "Is it really that bad down here?" I pointed out to her, not at all. Nothing ever happens around here. She freaked out again when she saw the sniper rig up in the shop.

·
Registered
27,775 Posts
To the original poster. I would likely just refrain from bringing any firearms up into that part of the country. Potentially disastrous consequences could ensue, right, wrong, or otherwise. I have been all over the place in the Northeast and never had a problem. Just be careful where you go and what you do. If it makes you feel better bring a stout cane with you. As for leaving guns somewhere that could be problematic as well. By law any gun store that takes them for you is supposed to log them into their books. In whch case they would have to do a legal transfer in order for you to get them back.
Those other outfits gun holders, whatever. I would want to know more about them before I turned over any of my shooting irons into their custody.

·
Registered
14,278 Posts
Not even pepper spray? Guys, I gotta say: I hear endless amounts of California-Bashing on this forum. But it's abundantly clear that CA is NOT the most restrictive state when it comes to matters like these.

Us Californians can carry guns in our cars (ammo stored separately) There are also multiple shops & ranges in almost all towns & cities. We can buy and carry pepper spray & even stun guns & Tasers.

Plus we have a general acceptance of both Castle & SYG laws. There is no Duty To Retreat outdoors, or in our homes.

I have a valid California CCW, and carry every day, as well.

This thread shows that there are some Easterly states that are far more onerous than CA on these issues. Poke at them first.

·
Registered
27,775 Posts
Not even pepper spray? Guys, I gotta say: I hear endless amounts of California-Bashing on this forum. But it's abundantly clear that CA is NOT the most restrictive state when it comes to matters like these.

Us Californians can carry guns in our cars (ammo stored separately) There are also multiple shops & ranges in almost all towns & cities. We can buy and carry pepper spray & even stun guns & Tasers.

Plus we have a general acceptance of both Castle & SYG laws. There is no Duty To Retreat outdoors, or in our homes.

I have a valid California CCW, and carry every day, as well.

This thread shows that there are some Easterly states that are far more onerous than CA on these issues. Poke at them first.
No we like just beating up on you Magman. Yes you are correct. Some of the Northeastern states are just plain ridiculous. NY,NJ,CN, unbelievable. New York led the way with the Sullivan law. Pushed through the legislature by a bunch of old time Tammany hall types. Maryland is pretty bad as well. It is likely easier to get a carry permit in Marin county than it would be just about anywhere in MD.

·
Registered
5,514 Posts
You can call and ask any LGS’s nearby where you’ll be, to see if they’ll store them for you.
No idea what they’ll tel you.
There are storage facilities, here’s one below:

Doubtful. Especially if the FFL doesn't know you. Any firearm left in possession of an FFL must be logged into their A&D bound book, and returning it to the original owner might require a 4473 and background check. I was shocked this is true even for returning guns left for consignments. Unless you are leaving with a gunsmith for repair or, , , cleaning:whistle:.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts