1911Forum banner

an interesting confrontation

4K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  USMM guy 
#1 ·
#6 ·
You nailed it!

Dumb and Dumber!

#7 ·
You show me a gun and I'm not going to be pointing a holstered gun at you! You'll probably have a few holes already in you. Never threaten lethal force unless you are willing to use it! I am not saying that you "have" to use it. But you better be willing to! Showing a holstered firearm is pointless stupidity!

#18 ·
Reminds me of the time (this actually did happen) that I was getting some money at an ATM after I had a few too many pops. My car was blocking the lane so the next car couldn't get past me. Car #2 was honking his horn and yelling at the innocent woman: "Move your car your fat bitch."

I couldn't let him get away with that so I yelled back: "Who you calling a fat bitch a'hole?" His reply was "I ought to shoot you." Of course I replied go ahead; then he told me he had a gun - my reply was "who doesn't have a gun this day and age?" Turning to his friend in the car, he said: "Give me my gun; and "I bet mine's bigger than yours. I may have had a few rum and cokes but I was in for a penny, in for a pound. Now this is around 1983, near Cleveland. I removed the S&W Model 39-1 loaded with Speer Lawman 110 gr. JHP from the holster, snicked the safety off, and said: "Your's may be bigger then mine; that remains to be seen; but mine is pointed at your chest...."

Um he did not have a gun; his friend, in the car did not have a gun and exited the car stage right and kept on going...dude was closer to death that night than he probably ever realized it. Anything remotely resembling a firearm in his hands rising up to point at me I would have shot, more than once. I belonged to the Cuyahoga County Bullseye League back then; to 25 yards I was pretty darn accurate...

Today I can look back at it and admit to you all that I am damn lucky I didn't shoot him; had I - well I'd be starting my 35th year in the Ohio State Prison...

#19 ·
All of us already know to deescalate the situation, so acting like a tough guy isn't needed. Secondly no one should know you have a firearm if at all possible, again all of us know. The moment you NEED your firearm, the only thing they should see is the multiple muzzle flashes as you empty your magazine into their torso.

I hope to never draw my sidearm on a civilian in public, that's my dream. But if it's a no way out situation, my military training will become apparent to the criminal immediately. I think this looks staged, but if not they are lucky no one was killed.

#20 ·
Such language! I doubt those guys ever made it through "force de-escalation training" or even a good anger management counselling session.

Roofer-dude seemed okay with the whole thing, so he was probably on the clock and being paid by the hour. A little light entertainment to make the day go by.

#21 ·
SFC Rick ----------- I totally agree that acting the tough guy is not a good idea. People get unnecessarily hurt, or killed, when one dude tries to Out-Macho the other guy.

Ego contests are stupid. And drunken ones are even worse.

However, I disagree on having a SET POLICY of concealing until the last possible second, then SURPRISE! Bang bang bang. That's not good.

Many members of this board have successfully ended bad situations with a show of force. Including myself.

Yes --------- brandishing.

These brandishing events out-numbering actual shootings by at least 100 to one, by the stories I've read here.

Frightening someone off is a valuable tool in your box. Don't discard it outright, ahead of time.

It's good to keep your options open when dealing with varying & fluid situations.

#22 ·
I have run off two would be perpetrators by displaying a gun.

It gave them a whole new reason to be somewhere else. Everybody went home with no shots fired. A pretty good outcome in my book. Situational awareness is what it is all about.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.