1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this isn't a waste of everyone's time in that, it may have already been answered. However, I have heard this question, and asked it, so many times but have yet to find a definitive answer.

One of our distinguished moderators (TomN) recently provided a good definition in a recent post on another thread but he admitted he wasn't sure if it is the concise answer, and I've been at a loss to explain to anyone who doesn't know the difference.

Sorry for the long preface but I had to clarify my confusion before asking.

I even looked up the definition in a gun technical manual but couldn't discern the exact distinction

The $64,000 question is:
What is the definitive distinction between a magazine (mag) and a clip?

They both seem to be integral parts of the gun and they both seem to serve the same purpose, yet I have made it a point to avoid interchanging the use of these terms to avoid confusion. How can the difference be explained to someone (not me) who habitually says 'clip' when they are referring to a mag? It has become a pet peeve of mine but admittedly, I am not qualified to make an accurate distinction. This acquaintence of mine is becomming tired of being corrected and I am getting tired of trying to explain.

Thanks in advance and I'm really sorry if this is a worn out topic.

Regards,
Galileo

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,132 Posts
A magazine has a spring and a follower, a clip has neither. The clip "clips" cartridges together so they can be fed into a magazine. You never hear the feed mechanism in a bolt rifle referred to as a clip, right? In the old days, repeating rifles were called "magazine rifles", and they were fed with clips.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aha! Rick That's probably where the confusion comes from since the guy I always correct is mainly a rifleman and he always wants to say 'clip' for a mag.

Now I won't have to be a mag nag anymore
:

Thanks,
Gali

·
Registered
140 Posts
A similar confusion exists about grips and stocks, especially for pistols. I believe the wood things on the sides of 1911s are stocks not grips. Since we are into trivia, perhaps we can get that one answered as well.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
23,132 Posts
Perhaps "grips" is just short for "grip panels". The panels being the part of the the gun you grip. We should have shortened it to panels rather than grips.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
This is a major pet peeve of mine as well...

Rick pretty much covered it, but to go just a bit further, just remember, the Magazine for any weapon feeds ammunition into the breech. The magazine can be fixed or removable, box or tubular.

A clip (as in Stripper Clip) is used to charge a magazine. These were (are) very common for Garands, and SKS variants with fixed mags, as well as for charging removable magazines such as the AR-15.

Hope this additional info helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.