1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put off writing this for to long so here goes...In 1992 I was in a car wreck and had the misfortune to break my neck, This has left me in a wheelchair for the last nine years. I have always had an interest in working on firearms but didn't have the knowledge plus I was afraid I would screw up. Ever since I have been looking at the different guns you fellows have built I have been encouraged to work on some of my guns and have done quite well. I just wanted to thank all of you for taking the time to post your work and pics as this has been a great help to me. Look at me I learning......

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
KITT, we all should take a lesson from you. As you have received insperation from our 'smithss, I am inspired by your efforts.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
MOLON LABE
Leonidas c 480 BC
FFF

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi Kitt, glad to hear you are learning from everyone, that's what we are here for, need help just ask. Pete

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
KITT, I'm not a 'smith but your desire for knowledge is commendable. I think that's why we're all here. We can all learn from each other.

If you get serious about gunsmithing, you'll get a lot of great advice from Bob and Pete above, as well as a whole host of other great knowledgeable guys who frequent here.

As one of the greatest non-pro, kitchen table gun plumbers, I can however write a book on the things NOT to do to a gun. Drop me a line if you get serious about not wrecking someone's gun!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Thanks for your participation here too! I never dreamed I could do some of the repairs and customizing and stuff that I have done, and I guarantee books wouldn't have cut it. This forum and other great sites on the internet (many of them started by members of this forum) have been an inspiration to me, and I'm glad to hear that you have benefitted too. We all have something to learn and something to teach. I'm very thankful for this forum and its ability to bring teachers and students together.

Ain't this a wonderful world? God bless the gun owners!

------------------
Byron Simpson

·
Super Moderator
3,114 Posts
Kitt,
I recall reading that the great Frank Pachmayr started working on pistols, using a lap board, while confined to bed, recuperating from an injury or illness.

Elmer Keith wrote of the work done by a one-armed pistolsmith named O'Meara.

The late Mel Tappan, whose prolific writings showed the "self-sufficiency" community that guns and skill-at-arms was an integral part of survival, used a wheelchair.

Folks who play the hand that's dealt them, rather than giving up, are an inspiration to us all. Thanks for sharing your story.

Rosco

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I have found that many "able-bodied" persons are far more "disabled" than most of those who suffer physical afflictions and infirmities. Good luck in your gunsmithing.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Kitt: I had two men in wheel chairs in my 1911 class. Both with the same last name, not related. They both were exceptional students and built beautiful 1911's. They were both the results of motorcycles vs. cars.One of them wrote an article about the class which appeared in Guns Magazine a few years ago.You have everything it takes to build 1911's.If your hands work, and you can read and write, you are there. These 1911 Addicts will give you more help than you can stand, but it will be fun for all hands. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
61 Posts
A good friend of mine (who has one leg as the results of a auto-accident) once gave me a very valuable piece of advise. It helped me so hopefully it will help you in turn. So here goes; "avoid depression, seek inspiration and motivation" and what better "hobby" is there to be inspired by and motivated to try than tinkering with the 1911.

More power to you!!!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up Kitt...Hang in and keep at it...We're lookin' forward to seein' some of that "work" you've been holdin' out on us

No more lurkin' either, get out here and tell us what's up!

We need new pictures of new pieces!!!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts