1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a nearly new Wilson steel Govt/GI guide rod with a ramped 38s barrel. No issues at all at the range.

Today I decided to try something different. I field stripped it by rotating the bushing and removing the recoil spring out of the front rather than my usual way of capturing the spring with my hand as I go forward with the slide.

After removing the recoil spring plug to relieve spring pressure I brought the slide back and removed the slide stop pin without issue. I then forgot to bring the slide forward enough to engage the thumb safety to prevent the slide from going rearward again. As I tilted the pistol upwards to remove the recoil spring and bushing, the slide moved rearward. The slide stayed seeming locked up in the rearward position. I could not get any movement either forward or to the rear........nothing. I finally had to smack the back of the slide fairly hard a couple of times with a mallet to overcome the resistance. So what did I break/bend? What caused the hang up to begin with?

With all my 1911s I have never had this issue. I'll answer any questions you may have.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The link most likely swung down perpendicular to the barrel and wedged itself against the bottom of the relief cut in the frame and locked it up. Most likely didn't hurt anything but you should inspect the link

1 - 4 of 4 Posts