1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If (and a big "IF") the you know what hit the fan and you had to take to the hills, would you want a tight fitted gun like a kimber that had some ammo dislike's as your side arm ? I have read that Kimbers dont like some types of ammo, so would you want a gun like that or a milspec type gun that can take anything ? Does that gun even exist today ? Or can the kimber be modified by a smith to take a broad range of ammo and still be a tight gun ? I hope this isnt a "to stupid question"

·
Registered
698 Posts
Well if it hit the fan, A pistol is going to be of marginal use anyway. I believe a rifle would be in order, and a good hiding place...unless you are prepared to take on an entire army. I wouldn't be really concerned about using hollow points. In a .45, FMJ is very effective, very reliable, and quite a bit cheaper to buy in the quantity needed for a long term engagement. But, all three of my Kimbers have fed every 230 grain JHP I have fed through them just fine.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Only the unasked questions are stupid. Not to be picky, but most mil-spec guns I've seen didn't feed hollowpoints nearly as well as most of the Kimbers I've seen. Makes little difference to me, since I carry ball though. It also depends on how the guns made. I've got a Baer TRS that is TIGHT. Got about 2000 rounds through it so far, and not a jam yet. Even let it run the last 500 without cleaning, no jams. Finally started getting my clothes too dirty, so broke down and cleaned it good. Would rather have it than any of my other 1911's. Ammo wise, ball will suffice for me.

·
Registered
271 Posts
My Custom II never refuses to eat ammo, no matter what it is. FMJ, JHP, JSP, SWC, LEAD, TMJ, you name it, it shoots it.

Edited: To add, all my magazines are Wilson Combat 47Ds.

------------------
~ ScorpioVI http://tacticalpursuits.com

[This message has been edited by ScorpioVI (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
26 Posts
My old Clackamas, OR Custom consumes everything I feed it, mostly lead SWC. I don't even have fancy magazines, I just have used and abused WWII surplus mags... lots of them

If there was a "Red Dawn" scenario, I agree that a pistol wouldn't be much use. I'd be way back in the hills with an AR-15. But my most important weapon would be a .22lr some duct tape and a plastic coke bottle for getting dinner without attracting attention.

[This message has been edited by Griz (edited 11-14-2001).]

·
Registered
469 Posts
Tell y'all what. When I pick up my 1911 in a couple of weeks I'll do a bit of a torture test on it - drop in in the mud, roll it in the sand, etc. and see how the reliability holds up. I have a feeling these modern, ultra-tight-tolerance pistols might have the same problem as the AR-15 in dirty conditions.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Got to watch rain, rocks and dirt in a bunch of Baers and Wilsons and customized Colts and Para's and Glocks not too long ago. Biggest problem was front sights falling off. Followed by factory internals in the Para's giving way.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have heard about the AR-15 problems when dirty, I havnt shot mine yet, so everything is from a readers test or someone elses experience. I surely would not want to be out in the wild with finicky AR and a 1911 that would not take the only ammo I had, no food and a bunch of hostiles hot on my tail and both guns jammed-up !
Would you guy's even take a 1911? A revolver might be a better choice with a 6" barrel. I would really like to put my new Kimber to the test, but its to nice to do it to!! Could I trust it in those conditions?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thanks for the reference, it sure saves me some trouble! So it seems that clearance for the sand was less important than a strong recoil spring to force the action to keep going.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Griz:
If there was a "Red Dawn" scenario, I agree that a pistol wouldn't be much use. I'd be way back in the hills with an AR-15. But my most important weapon would be a .22lr some duct tape and a plastic coke bottle for getting dinner without attracting attention.

[This message has been edited by Griz (edited 11-14-2001).]
Griz,

I don't get the Coke bottle...
What's up with that...?

Thanks.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I believe the coke bottle reference concerns using the plastic bottles as a homemade silencer/muffler.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If you are running to the hills and think you need a sidearm, I assume that you are talking about some collapse of society. If that were the case, why would you want a .45? Smart money would go with the 9 mm guns. Why? Simple, 9 mm is far more common than .45 and if society has collapsed, what is currently available will be what you have access to and there will be a lot more 9 mm available than .45. Additionally, there are a lot more guns that are bored for 9 mm than .45 so if your .45 breaks, your choices are limited compared to 9 mm.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I believe the coke bottle reference concerns using the plastic bottles as a homemade silencer/muffler.
Rgr, I would never do such a thing because it is illegal, but I have heard that a coke bottle fits nicely over the muzzle of most 22 rifles. I've heard that it totally suppresses the muzzle blast, if you use subsonic ammo, there is no sound other than the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target. I've heard that you would use the duct tape to secure the bottle to the rifle and to patch the bottle after shooting... You'd need to use a scope because the bottle would obscure the iron sights, or so I've heard.

·
Registered
766 Posts
My Kimber custom target has had no feeding problems with any ammo I have put through it including 185gr JHP,200gr L-SWC, 230gr L-RN and three different brands of 230gr FMC. If fact after 1000 rounds not one FTF.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Take the damn thing out and run 2000 rds through it...then you'll KNOW if it needs work or not...BTW...test the 2000 rds that you'll be CARRYING, not the ammo you WANT it to run with. It's not magic...It's like anything else...You get out what you put in...BTW....Have fun...2000rds makes for a long weekend!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

!!!Molon Labe'!!!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I disagree with the 9mm preference, but maybe that's just because I don't like 9mm anymore. I doubt you will be required, even in a post-apocalyptic situation, to put that many rounds through your pistol. On the other hand, availability would be an issue with the rifle's ammo. 5.56mm or 7.62mm would thus be good choices.

I'll have to try the coke bottle thing sometime, if I ever buy a .22LR. I doubt I'll bother with a Class III for that little experiment...
Reminds me of the Tom Clancy book Without Remorse; there's a part where the main character makes a suppressor. He puts the .22 conversion kit on his 1911, then uses his spartan machine shop to make a suppressor out of a few steel can blanks.

<DISCLAIMER> Above paragraph not meant to be taken seriously, don't try it at home, it would be illegal <END DISCLAIMER>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only problem that I can see with a 9mm is that if you lost your rifle a 9mm pistol would not be so hot against the furry woods critters that are larger than a dog, maybe Im wrong here, I have no experience in this field. I have only read that a 9mm in the wild is a bit small. I guess that a 45 would be ok for most game, but what about a bear, will a hot loaded 45 do anything against a bear?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by Griz:
Rgr, I would never do such a thing because it is illegal, but I have heard that a coke bottle fits nicely over the muzzle of most 22 rifles. I've heard that it totally suppresses the muzzle blast, if you use subsonic ammo, there is no sound other than the hammer falling and the bullet hitting the target. I've heard that you would use the duct tape to secure the bottle to the rifle and to patch the bottle after shooting... You'd need to use a scope because the bottle would obscure the iron sights, or so I've heard.
Griz,

Ahhhhh... thanks man...! I'll make a point of forgetting this most useful piece of info...

Hey, do you think they'd go any easier on a guy if it was a Diet Coke bottle...?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts