1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I waited until I was 68-years-old to get my first handgun...a Ruger LCP...and I got it strictly to make a statement about my Constitutional right to own one. Then I got the bug, so I just picked up a new series 80 Government model. All I can say is..wow!

Even though I never owned a handgun, I've fired a few over the years, but this Colt is the smoothest, most accurate one I've fired. Yesterday was the first time out, so it was a learning process, but I was firing 6" groups at about 50', with only a couple of the first rounds outside. Needless to say, with the LCP at that distance, I was lucky to hit the paper!

I have a lot to learn about my new pistols...as well as my new .223 Ranch rifle...but even codgers can have fun learning new tricks.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Welcome to the forums and Welcome to your right to gun ownership! You have started out great with the fine Ruger LCP for concealed carry and a Colt for home defense.

6" groups at 50' is pretty good shooting! You're a natural!!!

I'll warn you, gun ownership is addicting. You will catch yourself thinking of how to improve what you have, or getting the next one. Owning a Colt only makes it worse. ;)

Once again Welcome!!!

·
Premium Member
651 Posts
Nice choice in personal protection weapons GaryS2. I picked up my first Colt when I was 25 yrs old, and then it was called the Colt Officers model, which in 1981, had a 3 1/2" barrel. I beleive the simular model today is referrred to as the Colt Agent.
My wife recently picked up a Ruger .380 LCP ...... nice carry anywhere gun ... and as you noted, they are for close range defense. It's her back-up to a Springfield XD-40.
Yes ... pistols are addictive ..... especially the 1911's :rock:...

·
Premium Member
8,055 Posts
Enjoy. :) Never too old to find somethin new to spice up your life. :rock:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the neighborly welcomes!

Yes, indeed, if my early experience with my new guns is any indication, I can see where owning firearms could become addictive.

Looks like some of us might share other interests. I used to belong to the Mopar club when I lived near Tacoma, so 69Charger, if your handle means you own a car like that, we might have mutual friends.

Dakota1911...don't know if your handle has anything to do with either of the states, but I was born and raised in North Dakota.

Whatever...it's good to meet all of you.

·
Premium Member
7,725 Posts
Welcome to the Land of 1911, now that you got your new Colt. What are you going to get next??
The 1911 Virus has No-Cure just keeps on Hanging on.......

Clyde

·
Registered
45 Posts
georgetown

I have a series 80 government too. I wanted something in stainless that resembled a GI model. I like the safety features on the series 80. I looked at the Springfield Mil-Spec but liked the trigger on the Colt better. I have a ranch rifle as well. Nice pick there too. Like an M1 or M1A but cheaper and so is the ammo. You like Mopars? I believe one of the prettiest cars ever made is the 1934 plymouth PE deluxe RS coupe. (Cars and guns seem to go together) Enjoy the forum and shooting.

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
That's great

Congratulations.. The LCP is a great little pistol and shoots amazingly will. It'll put a magazine full on a postcard at 20'. Hand guns are addictive and the 1911's especially so.. Enjoy.. Ron

·
Registered
104 Posts
Hey, it's never too late to start. Welcome.

·
Premium Member
668 Posts
Welcome and congratulations. Sadly, someone has to be the bearer of bad news. You can't own just one Colt 1911 - it is unseemly and makes your fellow addicts (or would-be addicts) quite nervous.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Nice choice in personal protection weapons GaryS2. I picked up my first Colt when I was 25 yrs old, and then it was called the Colt Officers model, which in 1981, had a 3 1/2" barrel. I beleive the simular model today is referrred to as the Colt Agent.
My wife recently picked up a Ruger .380 LCP ...... nice carry anywhere gun ... and as you noted, they are for close range defense. It's her back-up to a Springfield XD-40.
Yes ... pistols are addictive ..... especially the 1911's :rock:...
Do you use your officers model as a carry weapon? If so, are you happy with it for that purpose?

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
68 and just starting in 1911....

there goes your retirement money:biglaugh:

welcome to the club may you have another 68 year to enjoy your membership,,I got the sickness at 14 and 40 years later still get all excited when I get a new to me 1911....:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Everyone is right...I've owned my 1911 less than two months and I'm already drooling over a New Agent.

As you said, Thaddeus43, there goes my retirement money! Oh well, with the dollar on a downward slide, high quality guns might be as good an investment as gold.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts