1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“People convicted of domestic abuse in New York will now have to turn over all firearms, not just handguns, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Saturday.”

·
Administrator
74,711 Posts
As much as I despise Governor Cuomo I can't fault him for signing this one. Like the others said the key word here is convicted. Merely being accused is something else.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I thought that those convicted of Domestic Violence were already banned from possessing firearms by Federal law.

What does this really accomplish?

·
Premium Member
7,670 Posts
I hope, "Convicted" is the operative word. So many women file FALSE TROs during divorces, which obviously falls under DV. I know people have lost their firearms and were Not CONVICTED of anything.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Didn’t the Lautenberg Act already prohibit possesion? Or is this the follow up where it clarifies confiscation?
Far as I know a conviction of Domestic Violence prohibits you from possessing ANY firearm, including muzzle loaders. Also prohibits you from living in a home where other people's guns are present.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I think we should read Cuomo's comments a bit more closely. He remarked that "9 out of 10" mass shooters were convicted of domestic violence or abuse or had "disparaged" women. He said that specifically - "disparaged".

We all know how these folks operate. They expand the "Red Flag" gun removal law from immediate family, to anyone living with the gunowner, to neighbor and now CA wants to include co-worker and employee. In the anti-gun world if any gunowners so much as says anything "disparaging" (against women but certainly to include, gay, illegal alien, etc) they'll want to remove their guns.

He included disparaging for a reason, I'll bet the anti-gunners were listening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts