1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I begged a long-time friend who has an extensive and well known 1911 collection, to please bring me a early 1911 to see, to handle, to appreciate....one with the old rounded rear sights, I added (something I had never even see in person).

Yesterday he came over, and he brought me one and said "This is for you, this is yours......I know you can't afford one, and I want you to have it"

:eek:
:confused:
:bawling:
:eek::)
:rock::rock::rock::rock:
:cool:

Serial 21,xxx in maybe 60%, no pits or dents, and frame/slide tight and smooth..... it is utterly beautiful. The thought behind the gift was even more beautiful than the gun.

He told me the hammer and bbl are not correct, I don't care.
I refinish firearms for a living, he told me I should refinish it.....never! The condition it was in, is the way if was given to me, and the way it will stay just, so every time I view it, I will remember how I felt in my heart when a friend gave me something I had wanted all my life.

I will cherish my first real Colt USGI 1911 just as I will cherish the memory of how I felt when it was given to me........I will cherish them both forever.

One of the best and heart warming days of my life......will never forget, and have my very first USGI 1911 to always remind me of that day.
My friend didn't/doesn't know this, but he gave me the gift, on my birthday.
What a wonderful birthday, it was. What a wonderful friend I have.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Congrats. Good times with good friends.

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
Alright brother....congratulations

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Great story... great friend

I have one of those too. We buy and sell guns to each other and have for 40 years or more.

Not long ago he had one that really made a great addition to my collection. I borrowed it to photograph and expressed an interest in buying it. While it is a valuable gun and we both know it I asked him to name a price.

Months went by and the pistol was at home in the safe and taken out and fondled often but one night we had been at a friends house and were walking to the cars andI asked again for a price. "It's yours, he said.

It was the first time I've ever cried on a man's shoulder... shamelessly I add.

Of course some day he'll get it back via my will.

only fair

·
Administrator
73,091 Posts
The only thing better than a good 1911 is a good friend who you can count on to lift you up. Congrats 2x.

Now let's see that pistol!

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Pictures please.:)

·
Registered
252 Posts
The only thing better than a good 1911 is a good friend who you can count on to lift you up. . . . . .
Beautifully put. Allow me to echo it exactly.

speedcrime, your beautiful, heartfelt post lifted me up and made my day. Thanks. And congratulations on your new USGI 1911. I too will be waiting for the pictures. :)

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Hey, pigs flew and hell froze over ... what a great friend you have and you must be deserving too. How about some pics?:)

·
Registered
192 Posts
That's dam nice, that's the sort of friend you could never do enough for:)

·
Registered
63 Posts
"Don't own any collectibles, but am a big fan regardless."

You need to change your signature line, now. You must deserve it! Congratulations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I begged a long-time friend who has an extensive and well known 1911 collection, to please bring me a early 1911 to see, to handle, to appreciate....one with the old rounded rear sights, I added (something I had never even see in person).

Yesterday he came over, and he brought me one and said "This is for you, this is yours......I know you can't afford one, and I want you to have it"

:eek:
:confused:
:bawling:
:eek::)
:rock::rock::rock::rock:
:cool:

Serial 21,xxx in maybe 60%, no pits or dents, and frame/slide tight and smooth..... it is utterly beautiful. The thought behind the gift was even more beautiful than the gun.

He told me the hammer and bbl are not correct, I don't care.
I refinish firearms for a living, he told me I should refinish it.....never! The condition it was in, is the way if was given to me, and the way it will stay just, so every time I view it, I will remember how I felt in my heart when a friend gave me something I had wanted all my life.

I will cherish my first real Colt USGI 1911 just as I will cherish the memory of how I felt when it was given to me........I will cherish them both forever.

One of the best and heart warming days of my life......will never forget, and have my very first USGI 1911 to always remind me of that day.
My friend didn't/doesn't know this, but he gave me the gift, on my birthday.
What a wonderful birthday, it was. What a wonderful friend I have.
Thank you for sharing. Anyone who reads this and doesn't have a little choked up feeling, is probably I'll.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice to know flying pigs are around

That is an awesome story of friendship. I normally just read these threads and don't post but this one made me have to say something. That is truly an awesome friend to do that. Do not lose him because he has your back! I hope that you are the same way with him! Congratulations for your gain and for your great friend!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts