1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some recommendations for a top quality ankle holster, from those of you who like & use ankle holsters.

I have an old Galco with calf strap that I use quite a bit during the winter when I wear a lot of baggy sweats. Carry a Smith 642 in it. It works quite well for me, and I like it.

Now I want the option to carry my (fairly) new Kimber Ultra Aegis II (3" barrel, 9mm) in an ankle holster. The top quality ones I've looked at on the 'net seem to have the ankle strap only, and not a calf strap.

Looking for some personal use opinions about:
1. Feasibility of carrying a 3" 1911 on the ankle.
2. Usefulness of a calf strap.
3. Ankle holster brand/models that have or have not worked for you.
4. Recommendations as to the very best one available.

Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I prefer the Alessi ankle holsters, have had them for more than 20 years.

Have never used the calf strap. I put the holster on (without the weapon) as low as I can (right on top of the shoe) and pull it tight. Have ran and otherwise engaged in vigorous activity and have never lost a pistol or revolver from one.

I carried an OACP in one for a while, didn't care for the gun after a while but the holster was fine. If you've used an ankle holster before, you already know about the weight and access issues.

I liked the Galco Ankle Glove for light weapons such as an airweight J-frame, etc. I found that heavier weapons tended to bounce as the weight of the weapon sort of stretched the neoprene rubber band. That was another reason why I liked the Alessi models, the leather band remained stiff enough to prevent most of the bounce.

Although, I DO like the retention screw found on the open top Galcos....

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Best one available is the Alessi but

Best one available is the Alessi but that's because of the wrap; good as the holster is the felted wrap distinguishes it. Mr. Null and others make a fine ankle holster and there are some makers who emphasize the police market and do well.

As you very likely know there are other places than here to ask about ankle rigs in general.

I can't imagine carrying a cut down 1911 for any reason at all - and certainly not in an ankle rig. I do carry something close to Mr. Browning's original - not exactly given the combination of A1 styling and Commander style hammer with beavertail all in stainless but still an all steel 5" on a belt rig. When I choose something compact I want something that was engineered from the blank sheet of paper or close to be smaller. There are many fine compact 9mm pistols on the market - I like the 3913 because of a lingering sentimental attachment to a Model 39 from 40 years ago but I'd sure spring for a Rohrbaugh if I wanted to carry a 9mm on the ankle.

Calf strap is handy special needs item for occasional carry but either confining or stretching for extended wear - maybe it just doesn't suit my build. Consider a shirt garter or some such customized to fit combination.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As you very likely know there are other places than here to ask about ankle rigs in general.
Clark,

Thank you for your response. I understand what you're saying. And, Ball4fan, thank you for your reply also.

Clark, actually I don't know of other places to ask about ankle holsters. Could you suggest some?

Thanks.....Rod.

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
I wear a Bianchi 4750 Ranger Triad Ankle Holster that I carry a Kimber Tactical Ultra in every work day as a back up weapon. It doesn't have the calf strap but does have a middle strap that pulls it securely into your ankle, I wear this just above 6" boots with the bottom of it just inside the top of my boot. I have had no problems with this rig and highly recommend it to anyone. I purchased it off of copquest.com. The only thing I would advised you of is to be careful if you order it off copquest web site, because when you place your order if your not careful it can be confusing and you can inadvertently order 1 for a Ruger sp101 because the order numbers are close. (happened to me and I had to call copquest and had to exchange to get what I wanted, my fault). good luck

·
Registered
217 Posts
I tried the Ranger at one time, but since I wear boots at work, and have cankles, it was too small.

I have carried a Desantis ankle holster with my G27 for several years now, and love it. I like the fact that you can adjust the tension of the strap, which I carry at the top of the boot. I know about accessibility, but it's just more comfy there for me. I do practice getting to it, though.

I have recently decided to go back to a 1911 for duty, and one of my backups is going to be a 637, which I just ordered a Fobus ankle holster for. Haven't gotten it yet, but they make them for 1911 pistols. I'll let you know what I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts