1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pleased to announce the arrival of (my) Wilson Tactical Elite.

Wilson weighed in at 42 ounces (a little more with a full tummy), a length of 8 5/8ths inches. He has lot's of interesting features that make "Pop" very proud. This was a pistol that was slightly tweaked from the standard issue. No ambi safety, bead blasted stainless frame, black, Armor Tough slide, trigger at 3.5, etc.

Daddy shot his first sub 1 inch group today with Wilson! :rock:

I'll try and get some pictures...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, She Is

It's nice to have a handgun that puts the bullets almost *exactly* where you aim them. There's always a bit of spread when you get out past 7 yards with most handguns. It's the nature of a short barrel. But this thing shoots sub 1 inch at 15 yards and well inside 1.5 at 25 yards. It is definitely all of the accuracy that I could ask for in a handgun. I don't have a real bench rest, but I used a couple of sight in targets and a sand bag rest...

I will not be getting rid of this gun!

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have always wondered how the cone barrels work out. I have been interested in one for quite sometime thinking the added weight would be well placed. How is it?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
straightgrain said:
I'm pleased to announce the arrival of (my) Wilson Tactical Elite.

Wilson weighed in at 42 ounces (a little more with a full tummy), a length of 8 5/8ths inches. He has lot's of interesting features that make "Pop" very proud. This was a pistol that was slightly tweaked from the standard issue. No ambi safety, bead blasted stainless frame, black, Armor Tough slide, trigger at 3.5, etc.

Daddy shot his first sub 1 inch group today with Wilson! :rock:

I'll try and get some pictures...
A fine addition to the family! I trust Momma is doing well, or is this one of those "new arrivals" that are better kept a secret? :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow Ups

That was shooting at the same style/size target that Wilson uses for their bench test. I shot it at the same distance (15 yards). Since then, I've used a Ransom rest to see what could be done with the thing if you take me completely out of the equation. At 25 yards, the thing was shooting right at 1 inch groups with 5 rounds. I then decided to stretch and set the rest up at 50 yards. I'll be dipped, but out of 5, 5 round groups (plenty of rest in between, excitement you know!), 2 of the groups were at a hair over 1.5 inches, center to center, and the other 3 were at 1.8, 1.8 and 1.9 inches. I could only wish that I could shoot as accurately as this gun is capable of :rolleyes: .

In a normal Weaver stance at 7 and 15 yards, I'm pretty sure that I can keep them at an inch all day long. It's the gun! Going to have to see if I can keep that going without using SWC 200gr ammo, though. I think I really upset the uy 2 stations down from me on the short range, though. He had a new G***k .40 cal and he was spraying bullets everywhere along with his girlfriend. I'm guessing they were new to shooting. He was playing the macho dude thing and trying real hard to convince the girlfriend that hitting the paper was the best you should expect from a handgun. I proceeded to shoot a smiley face (2 eyes, a nose, and 5 rounds for a smile) in my last clean target and muttered that you can and should expect more. Practice, practice practice (with a great gun helps, too!).

As for Momma, she knows about the gun but is indifferent. She's LEO and a gun is just a tool to her. She's an excellent shot and practices often, but does't get real excited about the whole new gun thing. Go figure :scratch: .

So I added a Dan Wesson Pointman Major and this Wilson Tactical Elite to my collection within 60 days of each other. I'm thinking that it's going to take a very special situation to make this big of an accuracy leap again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cone & Wafer

saromans134 said:
I have always wondered how the cone barrels work out. I have been interested in one for quite sometime thinking the added weight would be well placed. How is it?
The tactical elite also has a steel wafer/slab at the end of the barrel for more weight up front. It's like having a compensator without the gases flying into your sight picture. I have a Kimber Combat Carry with a cone barrel and it's nice, but nowhere near as nice as the Wilson.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks for the info and the clarification on what it is called. It really looks nice and I am sure it runs great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.