1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted this in the past, but my 1991A1 Commander model (purchased in 1984) will on ocassion choke on the last round. Happens with reloads and commercial, ball and hollowpoint.

I've been shooting with Wilson 7 round mags and one colt commercial mag. Happens with all 3.

The last round won't load all the way--the slide is half closed with the round pointing up.

I was told it is likely bad mag springs- but on both Wilson's??

I was also told to clean the mags. I did that and for a while I thought the problem was corrected, but it happened twice today in about 10 mags.

I was worried that the feed ramp angle was possibly bad, but D.R. Middlebrooks said it was fine. (He did some custom work for me a year ago.)

Maybe I should order new springs??

I hate to send the gun to Colt. It'll be gone too long and I worry it'll get lost in the mail.

Any advice?

David S

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 3 thousand rounds since 1984.
----------------------
Larry Vickers wrote this in a thread on mags in the gunsmithing area:
...snip
b) A particular era Wilson mag ( not too long ago ) had big time problems feeding ball ammo. That's because the feed lips were not optimized for it. Wilson's mainly test fires with H&G 68 reloads which feed great even in poorly set up guns - so they didn't pick up on it until myself and Ken Hackathorn talked to Bill about it. They made some mods to the mags and the new Wilson mags are the best ever in that area.
...snip

CMC - ...Also after awhile the spring starts to die and causes last round failures to feed. Overall stay away from them - you can retrofit them with different springs and followers with some success. Good luck.... snip
-------------------------

I wonder if the mags I bought in 1985 need new springs? Or are they the ones that may have fallen in the misdesigned feed lips?

·
Banned
380 Posts
It would be nice if Wilson somehow changed something on the newer magazines so we could tell which one it was with the defect. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
dsonyay said:
I've posted this in the past, but my 1991A1 Commander model (purchased in 1984) will on ocassion choke on the last round. Happens with reloads and commercial, ball and hollowpoint.

Um, the 1991's didn't come out until...er, 1991. :)

Have you tried a new recoil spring? That is definately something to try, along with new mag springs.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
dsonyay

From your description it definately sounds like you have a magazine issue, though before we pass judgement on all of the magazines you have tried; I will ask, are you using a shcok buff? If you are, remove it and see what happens. The reason I ask is, shock buffs reduce the slides travel a small amount (approximately .125 inches). This reduced slide travel reduces the amount of time the magazine spring has to push the last round up and into the proper position. The previous rounds all had another round pushing up from the bottom which helps feeding.

If you are not using a shock buff, I would suggest that your magazines are not properly supporting the round during the feeding cycle at the front of the magazine. This may be caused by worn or improperly adjusted followers, or weak or improperly adjusted/installed magazine springs. In this case the slide tries to push the round forward and the front surface of the magazine follower falls away causing the round to stovepipe.

I suggest that you disasssemble and clean your magazines, as you disassemble them pay attention to the springs orientation. Sometimes a spring may get installed upside down, though with some springs its pretty obvious how they get assembled. Once cleaned, give the last coil at each end a good tug out. Next inspect the follower. If the follower is nylon are there any rough spots or cuts on the front or rear surfaces? If yes, replace the follower. If the follower is shaped like a a"V" on its side, make sure the lower finger will sit horizontally and touch the front of the magazine when it is pushed into the magazine body. Next make sure the upper finger runs parrallel to the feed lips when the lower finger is rubbing against the front of the magazine tube. If it does not, it may be necessary to pull the fingers apart a little. If the follower is a sine piece of steel, it may be necessary to grip the short part that rides against the back wall of the magazine and give the follower a slight bend upward, to give the front of the bullet a little more support at the front.

If all else fails, you may want to try replacing your magazine springs and followers with items from Wilson or Wolffe's.

I hope this helps.
Str8_Shot

·
Registered
335 Posts
Weak mag sprigs will cause that. You should also make sure that your ammo is made to correct specs. You should also use a type of bullet that you know your gun likes.

--tdow

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Make sure your extractor is tensioned correctly. The mag spring may not have enough "oompf" left to feed the last round if your extractor is a bit tight. When the mag is closer to full, there still is enough mag spring to push the rounds under the extractor. As the mag spring decompresses, a properly adjusted extractor is critical to allow the last round or two to feed reliably.

·
Banned
380 Posts
shock buffer? Excellent thought. I didn't even consider that direction (ie., add ons). Also duplex springs and recoil guides, muzzle weights, etc. if present can interfere with function if something else is marginal, or if they are. Extractor was what I was thinking.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sounds like a weak mag spring, though other things such as the extractor may contribute to the problem. Try some of the Wolff extra power springs.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called Wilson's and they said to send the mags back. Sounds like they'll repair or replace. Hopefully that'll do the job.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts