1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Must this be done?
When is the best time; after all fitting and assembly or as the first step?
Are the steel parts(plunger tube, ejector, grip screws bushing) affected in the process?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Since there have been no answers by those better qualified I will attempt to help you out. Aluminium will turn to aluminum oxide almost instantly in the presence of oxygen causing the whiteish silver coating seen on aluminum storm windows. The anodixing process prevents this and is also harder and more wear resistant than raw aluminum. I would do all fitting of parts and then remove all parts from the frame before sending it to a anodizer that specializes in firearms.

·
Premium Member
2,130 Posts
Yes Ron is correct, any steel left on will burn the alum away during anodizing.

there are 2 (probably more) commonly used anodize process

one is more decorative in that it is not hard per se but does protect against oxyodizing.
What you see on scope mounts mag wells and chamber checkers for instance. It bonds with the alum and works well but is not Tough.

Hard coat anodizing is Hard. What you see on 1911 and baretta frames for instance. It is much harder than the base metal ( over 65 rc iirc??) and is probably mandatory on feed ramps and rails for the alum to last. ( I think it involves a chiller in adition to the regular anodize and I would like to know more any help would be greatly apreciated)

I have not ever found a reliable source for hard coat anodizing frames (ffl required) but have only looked for 15 years.

I would really like to so if someone out there has a source please advise.

geo ><>

·
Registered
211 Posts
George:
I'd spoken to Kurt Wickman a while back when I was investigating hard coat anodizing, and he advised that he'd found an aircraft industry vendor that provided the hardest anodizing he'd seen. Perhaps you could give Kurt a call.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I was told that a company by the name of TechPlate supposedly does good quality hard anodizing, but I've not yet tried them. Anybody?

Hey BK, you out there? You've got a contact number for Kurt, don't ya.

I'm with you George, it would really be nice to find someone who did QUALITY hard anodizing.

Cheers, Tim

·
Registered
78 Posts
George,

Shop number for Kurt Wickman : 740-594-8049

John

[This message has been edited by JohnN (edited 09-18-2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts