1911Forum banner

Another 100 in the books

3K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  SW CQB 45 
#1 ·
These days my time is limited to include ammo.

I am up to 300 rounds in my 500 round break in. While I have had zero issues with reliability... there is still a decent "snick" to come out of battery.

I also had one occasion yesterday where I was holstering an empty gun after shooting and the thumb safety would not engage. It was slightly out of battery and I thumbed the slide fwd and heard the "snick". It might have been induced by me as I dont let the slide go fwd hard on empty.

I was mad at myself as I forgot... I left the Sunday grips on it as I wanted to use factory G10s. Oh well, next 100.

I have developed an issue with me and it might be me getting older.

I have developed a pain in my right hand web area and it rears its ugly head on recoil. The back of the thumb safety digs into my web area. I must be thin skin and it affects my accuracy and mind.

I had another gun with me... which also happened to be a modded ACW Colt Officers ACP... but it does the same thing to me.

My old duty carry green gun does not cause me pain... so its the shape of the back edge next to the pin that digs into me.

ACW, You can barely see the shape of the back round of the grip safety in my skin. Thats my pain. I dont like gloves with handguns.

Colt Officers... very round back end. Pain like a mud-der fudge-er (I had not shot this gun in years)

Here is my Springer.... the thumb safety edge has a heavy taper compared to rounding. I dont feel any pain when shooting this gun.

for unknown reason, I dont feel any pain shooting left hand.

you can see the pain affecting me at the 15 yard line. I started at the 3 and worked my way back.

See less See more
#3 ·
Kind of funny but Nighthawk’s do the same thing to me, actually it’s not funny as I have 2 in the safe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: SW CQB 45
#7 ·
Talking about getting older. I’ve yet to get to the range since I acquired my Tisas 1911A1 5” 45 ACP wwii clone. I fear my old Army injury on my shoulder might give me problems.

can you send your gun back to get it modified specifically for your hand?

#8 ·
I already sent him the thumb safety after I first got it. He dehorned and re blued it for me.

I dont want to bother him with a back and forth process.

Its on me now.

I have a lot of little projects on the table right now.... I will eventually get to this one.

#10 ·
Nothing you can do about it. It's the style of grip safety. Your Springfield doesn't do it because it uses a compound radius grip safety that covers the frame tangs. You'll see on your Colt, our gun, and Nighthawks that they use the open tang version that Ed Brown came out with to allow a higher grip in the back. The higher grip drives your hand closer to the thumb safety, etc.

#11 · (Edited)
I call this "PPSitis" (named after original version of Walther PPS). My solution was to wear gloves, lower grip hold,.....eventually selling the gun after I found it to be paperweight when back strap was removed. I mean if the gun fell on hard surface and back strap came off one would end up with gun they could not use. That gun while accurate and reliable simply did not fit my hand. Your problem might be fixable with dremel tool or set of jewelry files, I don't know.

#12 ·
Part of the problem may be my hand size. My right hand swallows the 1911 grip.

My Beretta LTT also bites me with a sharp edge in the same place.

I tried altering my grip on The Sunday outing but it felt odd and perceived additional recoil.

I got a wild hair and tapered the hell out of my officers thumb safety. Pics on the way.

#18 ·
Funny you mention this Rob but those four, even the Baer, feel the best to me. I have 2 NH that irritate me every time I shoot them. I ran a NH in a 300 round class thinking I would get used to it, the pistol worked great but at the end of the day it wasn’t comfortable.

#20 ·
Berettas fit me like a second hand. For me they are only second to the 1911 for shoot ability.

#22 ·
Can't wait to see how this turns out

#23 · (Edited)
Billy... busy these days?

For me, its hard to get to the range lately. Our police range was closed on weekends to include holidays and we cannot shoot past 1700 hrs because of noise complaints. So, Monday-Friday 8-5.... work gets in my way, HA!

I joined a private range for weekends but just have a lot going on. I hope to test this adjustment in the coming weeks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.