1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,
I posted a question earlier regarding another .45 pistol. I have a Kimber Custom Classic STS and love it to death. I saw a Springfield Armoury Stainless loaded and thought that that would be a nice addition. Someone said to save and get a Wilson. I do mainly target shooting with self-defense as a secondary purpose. I don't really want to spend $1800+ for a pistol (although the Wilson looks great!) Can anyone give me some opinions on the Springfield or any other .45 under the $850 price range? I have so many choices now......

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well, what keeps my Custom Classic company in the safe is a Colt 1991A1 in matte black finish. The fit isn't quite a good as the Kimber but it's been 100% reliable will all ammo types and it cost less than a Kimber, Springfield or Wilson.

------------------
Steve

·
Registered
75 Posts
If the Kimber works for you, why not get another? The Springfield has a different size grip to it, more metal down there. I like them both, but I like my guns to match so I have two Kimbers. I think the Wilson's are overrated. I want one of everything from a collection point of view. If your budget is on your mind, get a Kimber Pro Carry. The light weight will make you fall in love all over again.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
...just a suggestion...Have you tried the Kimber Custom Target? Royal?...

"Gun control is hitting your target"

·
Registered
421 Posts
ZekeLuvs1911,

You say you absolutely love your Classic Stainless. Instead of jumping into an $1800 Wilson, why not buy a Classic Custom and send it off to be customized? Sure, there will be a wait but you'll be getting a pistol built to your specs, with guidance from a pistolsmith of your choice. Figuring you can buy a Classic Custom for about $650 or so, that leaves you $1250 for custom work - & that will get you a nice gun. You could spend a lot less & still have a nice piece.

In fact, I've been in e-mail correspondance with a few pistolsmiths about such a project on my Kimber Classic Stainless, & will be sending it off shortly. I bought it as a backup range gun for my Ultra CDP. This will be my first true custom pistol - can't wait to see what I finally end up with!

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
Kevinch, who are you planning on doing your work? I did the same with both of my Kimbers. The attention to detail that a good smith can bring to the project is well worth what you put into it monetarily.

Zeke, SA makes a good gun. For under 850, you can get a SA, Colt, or a Kimber. Find one you like and get it.

------------------
John

"And by the way, Mr. Speaker, The Second Amendment is not for killing ducks and leaving Huey and Dewey and Louie without an aunt and uncle. It is for hunting politicians like (in) Grozney and in 1776, when they take your independence away".
Robert K. Dornen, U.S. Congressman. 1995

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would probably stick with the Kimber. I have both and the Kimber is the better made piece. The Kimber has shot great out of the box and the Springfield has had to have a new extractor to make it run. And that was no fluke, alot of people here have complained of FTE problems that I was having. The Springfield has lots of machine marks inside the slide where the Kimber looks much cleaner... doesn't matter much when you can't see it but never the less it looks like Kimber takes more time on the product than Springfield... Wilson... Why spend so much more money on a pistol that you probably won't be able to tell any difference if you shot side by side. If you locked them both in a vise you probably could but it depends on how much you value your money. Check out that new Eclipse, now that is a good looking piece!

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi all,
Thanks for all your help and suggestions. I agree that to spend $1800 on a pistol seems much especially since you really probably can't tell the difference when you go to fire it. I think another Kimber might be the way to go. Since I have about 2 weeks before decision time, anymore suggestions will be appreciated.

·
Registered
421 Posts
John Forsyth said:
Kevinch, who are you planning on doing your work?
Hi John - I haven't really decided yet, but I'll be sure to post a message when I do. It's really hard to decide...there are a few houses out there whose work I relly like.

*sigh* So many guns & pistol houses, so little money...

·
Registered
111 Posts
I vote for a Kimber Classic Custom Royal. I love those rosewood grips.

------------------
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. NRA LIFE MEMBER

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I actually went and got the Kimber Custom Target today. I had the opportunity and the price was right. I handled the Springfield Loaded one more time and you know what? The SA slide felt grittier and less smooth than the Kimber when I racked the slide a few times. I checked to be sure that both guns were well lubricated which they were. (They better have been since both are brand new.) So anyway thanks for your help and suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts