1911Forum banner

Another Cocked and Locked Question

1885 15
I have to appologize for another C&L question, but here goes. The question has nothing to do with carrying. I always carry C&L. This question deals with carrying in a truck console while traveling on a long trip. Being that I am short, but sometimes carry a full size 1911, I will take the gun off while on a long trip and put it in my console. If I stop to get out for coffee, change a tire, or just get out of the truck, my 1911 goes with me. The question is how do you guys recommend carrying in the console? Condition one or two? Thanks for your answers, and I promise never to ask another Cocked and Locked question for the rest of my life.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
If you can lay it on the non-safety side and there aren't small items in the console (that could snick off the safety and/or pull the trigger) I would just stick with C/L. I would recommend setting a folded towel in the console to prevent it from sliding around too much also.

Howard

· Registered
735 Posts

· Registered
190 Posts
Hence why it never leaves my body. If you're at a stop sign and get pulled out of you truck I doubt there's enough time to snag that pistol out of the console. I just place to many situations in my mind that say it's worth taking it off for the trip. I say find a holster that's comfortable enough for the long trips even if it's a different one than what you'll ware when you get there. I have a IWB for when I get there and a fobus for the ride up. I can change while in my seatbelt in under a min. Faster depending on the outfit.

cmc

· Registered
67 Posts
myanof said:
Because that makes grabbing the gun a two hand operation.
If you have to get to the gun that fast in your car.. You're already dead. Do you plan on getting into a rolling gunfight with the "Latin Kings" or something? You should be just fine with unsnapping your holster, and sticking it in your console.:)

· Registered
152 Posts
placing it depends on your vehicle

- if you have a truck w/ a 40/20/40 type of front seat, just place in under the fold down console.

- if it's a SUV or car, it depends on how big the console compartment is.
in this case if it will go in, try the towel in the bottom, and just lay Roscoe on top.

- glove box may be another op

- door panel with map slot, just place a towel folded in it, and slide her in

- I normally just lay it under my right thigh, and sit on it. this doesn't bother me, tho it may bother some.

use your imagination, try different locals, and don't worry so much about the thumb safety snicking off. if you carry it long enough, your holster or love handles with eventually snick it off once or twice.

I do agree with the leaving out of the holster while in the vehicle.

· Registered
224 Posts
Ever roll a vehicles? Being smacked by all the lose **** flying around isn’t very pleasant. I can’t imagine what a 1911 would feel like. Depending on what I’m carrying, sometimes I use one of these while driving:

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/18

They’re quick to open, secure, or remove from your seat belt (check out lower photos). Very easy to transition a firearm into or out of.

· Registered
2,935 Posts
I'm still wondering myself but

I'm still wondering myself but I tend to favor a boned holster such as the Horseshoe velcro or the Safepacker already mentioned or a muzzle rod or something that holds the pistol in a fixed position and protects the safety just as the sweat guard on my carry holster. Going back and forth between off body and seatbelt mounted and.......

Then too given the nature of automobiles as cover and concealment I'm inclined to store the 1911 and make an N frame S&W the car gun.

Haven't seen any consensus.

· Registered
68 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
myanof said:
I have to appologize for another C&L question, but here goes. The question has nothing to do with carrying. I always carry C&L. This question deals with carrying in a truck console while traveling on a long trip. Being that I am short, but sometimes carry a full size 1911, I will take the gun off while on a long trip and put it in my console. If I stop to get out for coffee, change a tire, or just get out of the truck, my 1911 goes with me. The question is how do you guys recommend carrying in the console? Condition one or two? Thanks for your answers, and I promise never to ask another Cocked and Locked question for the rest of my life.
Consider a cross draw holster for your trip. When you arrive at your destination use your regular holster. My year round holster for my 45 is an IWB. When I travel by car on a long trip I have a belt holster, I then swap it for my IWB holster, my 45 never leaves my person during my trip.

· Registered
1,484 Posts
An inexpensive Uncle Mike's or a similar cheapo holster should suffice to serve your purpose, protecting the safety and the gun from trash. If there is enough room you could also put velcro on the holster and on the console inner wall, allowing you to keep the gun in the grip up position.

A solution I use in my Mini Van is - I bought an inexpensive, small, black gear bag at Walmart. The bag is made by Eastport Outdoor Co., it measures about 10" X 9" X 3", has several pockets - two large, two small and two mesh on the ends, a carrying handle on the top. In the back/inside large compartment I attached velcro and on an Uncle Mike soft side holster, the opposing piece of velcro. I can now use the bag as an inconspicuous carry bag or, for this use, I put the bag just behind the console, with the gun pocket open for immediate easy access to the gun and the shoulder strap looped around the console to keep the bag upright and in place. With the velcro I can take the holster out and use it in other places.

· Registered
752 Posts
MadMex said:
Ever roll a vehicles? Being smacked by all the lose **** flying around isn’t very pleasant. I can’t imagine what a 1911 would feel like. Depending on what I’m carrying, sometimes I use one of these while driving:

http://thewilderness.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/2/products_id/18

They’re quick to open, secure, or remove from your seat belt (check out lower photos). Very easy to transition a firearm into or out of.
Man, thats a good idea!
While seated in the car it would be as if you are wearing the gun. If and I mean a big 'if', a person were concerned about being surprised and dragged from the car, a back up gun could be carried on the body. An advantage of the seat belt holster is the placement of the weapon and the ability to draw quickly, yet covertly (doesn't look like a holster, minimal movement to present the weapon...) .
Personally, I have have found my ability to draw OWB significantly reduced while seat belted.

A person could 'seat belt holster' a full size (10mm, anyone?) if they so choose, and still pack a smaller size weapon IWB for those times when the temperature and/or your clothing prohibits the carry of a full-size. Perfect for stops to get gas and use the restroom.

I have placed my gun in my console, and didn't like the fact that I have to open the console to retrieve it. I don't want to be fumbling around with the console, and then a towel or holster. I don't like the way the gun moves around inside the console making retrieval and presentation more difficult. consider that you may be operating in low light conditions, under stress (or under fire), and possibly driving at a hight rate of speed. Key word again IMO is "fumble". IMO some sort of mounted or semi-mounted holster would be the way to go.

I am not sure I would rely 100% on placing my pistol under my thigh or in the fold of the console. If you are a victim of 'road rage' (for example) and your vehicle is struck, it is possible that the weapon will be dislodged and become irretrievably 'lost' under the seats or what-have-you.

If I was forced to place the gun in the console, I would 'crib' it in place as best as I could to keep it's movement down to a minimum in order to keep it oriented for presentation without requiring you to take your eyes off the road or the threat.

Just my 2 cents.
Take care,
John

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.