1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked about taper crimp in another thread. I've been loading for 30 years, but about all of my handgun loading has been done for revolvers, magnums using a heavy roll crimp. With revolvers, you get a 3 die set that includes a sizing die, a decapping and flaring die, and a seating / crimping die. As from RCBS anyhow. I didn't know that the newer 3 die sets for autos that headspace on the case mouth, now seat and taper crimp at the same time? They didn't used to I don't think. Taper crimp had to be added with a 4th die after the bullet was seated. Looked at RCBS .45 auto dies and they still have just 3 dies. Does their seating die taper crimp also? Do most of you use LEE dies? And finally, if using LEE dies, is it best to get the 4th die for taper crimping? I really appreciate your patience and willingness to help out a beginner here, thanks guys. Phil...

·
Registered
193 Posts
RCBS seems to be in the process of changing their seating dies for ctgs that headspace on the mouth from roll to taper crimp. If it is a taper crimp seating die it will say "taper" on the top end of the die. I've tried using them to both seat and crimp and it seems to work OK.

However, I've used Lee taper crimp dies in the 4th station of my 550B for so long that I just feel better doing it that way. Accordingly, I adjust the RCBS seater die so that it only seats and does not crimp. As far as I know, Lee only makes taper crimp dies.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I use Lee carbide dies for pistols and revolvers. I bought the 3-die set for each before they came out with the 4-die sets. Also, I bought a carbide factory crimp die for each caliber.

I'm not sure if the Lee seat/crimp die for 9mm and 45 ACP are designed for taper crimp or not as I have always used the seat/crimp die for seating only and used the factory crimp die for the last step. The factory crimp die taper crimps AND resizes the entire finished cartridge.

The factory crimp die for revolver rounds imparts a roll crimp and resizes the cartridge.

I would go for a 4-die Lee carbide set if they are available for your caliber. If 4-die set is not available, I would buy the factory crimp die as an add on.

Using the factory crimp dies, I've never experienced problems with auto rounds too large to chamber or revolver rounds fitting too tightly in the cylinder.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I use the Lee crimp die with all my caliber, 38spe, 9mm, 45colt, 45 ACP.
Crimping separately does a good job. That the only way to use lead auto bullet (45ACP) on 45Colt cartridge and have a good roll crimp without destroying bullet and keeping accuracy.

·
Registered
949 Posts
RCBS Die sets for autos

Phil,
I too have been loading for over thirty years. Rifle and revolver and .45s. Your first thread has some interesting response too.

RCBS uses three dies and crimps during the seating process. I’m currently using part of a new set of RCBS dies for my .45. I use the Lee crimp die in the last stage of my progressive as I like the full length sizing it does. I use a Lyman expander die in lieu of the RCBS as it has a longer taper prior to expansion. This improves concentricity of the cartridge. Lee makes good dies. I chose RCBS as they will make customer seater plugs free of charge. I find this very helpful.
Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
229 Posts
I use also a Lee turret press with 3-die set for revolver (.45 LC and .38 Spl/.357 mag) and roll crimp. For .45 ACP I use the 4-die set with the Lee Factory Crimp (taper crimp) being the last stage. Works very well for me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I also use a Lee Turret press with the 45 ACP three carbide die set (getting a dillon for Xmas). Anyway, the bullet seating die has a built in taper crimp. I have loaded MC and lead SWC with it with no problems what so ever. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts