1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I will find out the answer to this tomorrow when I hit the range but here is the question.

When checking extractor tension should the round sit flush against the breach face?

The tension seems to be good, but the round will not sit against the breach face, probably .010 off of the breach face. The reason for this is that the nose of the extractor makes contact with the extractor grove bevel on the case before it will sit against the breach face.

Rounds chamber fine and the nose of the extractor does not hit the barrel, but I am thinking the brass will be forced back to the breach face when fired, driving the nose of the extractor up the extractor grove bevel on the case. This could either increasing or decreasing the tension on the extractor.

jasonj

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
The nose of the extractor should not touch the case bevel. That said, it often does. Adjust the tension with the rim in the extractor slot.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Adjust the tension with the rim in the extractor slot.
freemont. What he is referring to is the simplest way to adjust the ectractor tension. Once you've removed the firing pin stop, pull the extractor half way out of the extractor "channel" to where the hump in the middle is out of the channel. Now, with a little tension, bend the extractor by using the edge of the "channel". Use slight pressure, at first. Put it back in and check the tension. Repeat until it is to your liking.;)

Bryan

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
I always reface the nose on my extractors so they won't touch as you're descibing. Don't attempt this yourself unless you know where to remove the metal.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,286 Posts
What I meant was, don't try to measure the tension with the nose of the extractor riding on the bevel; take your readings with the rim in the slot, then adjust.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts