1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well I broke down and purchased my first Para-Ordnance; a Hawg 9 (WHX129R). I immediately took it to the range and ran 150 rounds of CCI Blazer ammo thru it to see what'll happen. (No I didn't clean, lube or oil it first).

First impression, I love the gun. It handles well, shoots well, and is very lightweight, small and easily concealed. Even with 12 rounds!

I tried slow fire and rapid fire (fast as I could pull the trigger). Combat grip/stance and off hand (L/R). The results were 11 FTE out of 150 rounds. Two FTE were due to magazine not fully seated. So, let's say 9 out of 150.

In each case, the tap and rack drill took care of putting the gun in firing mode with a live round ready to rock and roll.

Only one FTE happened during rapid fire. All others were slow fire. Two happened on the last round. Two happened with full combat stance and grip. All others during off hand slow fire shooting.

Next step, clean/oil the gun and take some different ammo out to the range. I will run different brands, Speer, Winchester, Remington and Federal (It'll cost a small fortune, but hey what is your life worth?)

If all goes well, this may be the keeper I have been looking for. I will definitely need to practice with it alot more. I am not use to the small frame and grips. I ordered a set of Hogue rubber grips with finger grooves along with another Pierce floor plate grip.

I think that I am going to love this gun....:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Follow-up Report

Well, I followed manufacturer's recommendations and instructions on the breakin period.....almost. You are supposed to fire 100 rds., alternating 50 rds. thru each of the two magazines provided and then field strip and clean it. Your repeat this cycle three times for a total of 300 rds.

I stretched the rds. per cycle. I can't help it. I like shooting the gun.

Better results than the first trip to the range. On this second trip, out of 215 rds. fired, one failure to eject, two failure to feed properly, and one failure to fire. Again, a mix of rapid fire and slow fire. All failures occured during slow fire, two handed combat grip/stance. I alternated the ammo:
50 rds. of Rem. Golden Sabre 124gr. JHP
40 rds. of Rem. Golden Sabre 147gr. JHP
75 rds. of Win. 115gr. FMJ
50 rds. of CCI 123gr. FMJ

The first failure to eject occurred right off the bat with the Rem. GS 147gr. ammo. Two failures to feed occurred using the the Rem. ammo. The failure to fire occurred using the CCI. Strange thing happened, all appeared to be normal but the gun just wouldn't fire. I couldn't pull the trigger. I rack the slide ejecting the one round and continued to fire. I took the ejected round and placed it in the next magazine and fired it with no problem. One other failure to feed properly occurred with the CCI. The Win. ammo performed flawlessly.

One big draw back that I don't like is that almost all of the ejected rounds hit me in the face or glasses.

So, I will now field strip, clean and lubricate and take it to the range for some more fun. Afterall, one must follow manufacturers recommendation on properly breaking in the firearm....

BTW, the Rem. 124gr GS ammo seems to hold a tighter group.

·
Registered
415 Posts
lube it well

These Para's IMO love to be well lubed, tome anyhow in teh frist1000 rounds of shootingit. I oil liberally the rails, and top of barrel every range session. It is now well broken in and goes bang every time .

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, Jocko. That's what I intend to do before going out to the range again, hopefully this next weekend. I will report back the results.

·
Registered
415 Posts
124 grain

they seem to work far and away better in most semi's than the 147 grain. I personally never ever tried shooting the 147 grain, for I knew I was never going to use the round, so I didn't care if it worked our not. My ccw round was and still is the corbon dpx 115 grain round, feeds perfect shoots in the same hole and "is expensive". but is there a price for ur life???

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3rd Trip to the Range

I made another trip to the range after ordering and receiving several boxes of ammo. Jocko, you were right about the lubing. I cleaned and lubed the barrel and rails and the gun functioned great. 1 FTF due to the magazine dropping and 1 FTF (failure to feed) on the last round of Winchester 147 gr. SXT ammo. Definitely keeps improving.

I shot a total of 150 rounds:
15 - Remington 124gr. Golden Sabre
40 - Speer 124gr. Gold Dot
20 - Winchester 147gr. SXT
50 - Federal 124 gr. HydraShok
25 - Hornady 124gr. TAP FPD

I shot all rounds standing, combat grip at 20 yds. The results were the tightest groups were achieved using the Federal, followed closely by the Hornady and then the Speer and Remington (see previous report on the Remington) a distant third/fourth. I couldn't hold a decent group using the Winchester. All but the Winchester functioned flawlessly in both slow and rapid firing.

Overall, I really liked the Federal. Very controllable and very good groups both rapid and slow. All hits on target at 20 yds even with very rapid fire.

I still have a lot more rounds to go using different ammo before I select my everyday carry round. But I am real pleased with the Hawg 9.

The only complaint is that drawing from a holster is going to take practice as I am not used to compact grips. I plan to replace the stock grips with Hogue grips and all magazines will have the Pierce grips.

I will also work on finding the right holster. Right now I am using the Don Hume Yaqui slide OWB:cool:. I just received the MTAC IWB for the Hawg 9 today and anxious to try it out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
4th Trip to the Range

Continuing the range report from the previous posts above, I once again returned to the range today to try the CCI Blazer ammo (you know the cheap stuff) after my recent success with the expensive ammo and completion of the manufacturer's recommended break in period.

I am happy to report no problems. The pistol worked flawlessly running a box of CCI FMJ ammo along with a box of Rem. Golden Sabres and a few Fed. HydraShok. Accuracy is very good.

Jocko's suggestion that keeping the gun clean and well lubed seems to be correct. The gun is a real joy to shoot.

I will still have to practice on the draw as I am still finding it somewhat difficult to get a handle on the compact grips. I ordered a set of Hogue rubber wrap around grips with the finger grooves but the ones they sent were for the P13 and don't fit. I have ordered the ones for the P10 in exchange. I read somewhere else here on the forums that anything for the P10 should work for the Hawg 9. We'll have to wait and see.

As far as drawing the gun for now, I am getting better. I am confident that practice will make perfect....well better any way. The gun is very comfortable to wear. Currently using the Don Hume Yaqui slide.

On another note, I received my extra blanks from CTAC for my minotaur holster (MTAC). It is the same as the 1911 compact. It doesn't seem to quite fit but may need some adjustment. I have worn it just once and will need to wear it some more to work out the bugs and get it adjusted to fit and wear just right.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update...

Well, I have been carrying and shooting my Hawg 9 for over 3 months now. Not one single FTE or FTF since the 'breakin' period. Pushing 1000 rds. both good quality ammo like the Federal Hydra Shok as well as the cheap CCI Blazer.

I have found the MTAC to be the most comfortable. I have worn it to the office the last two days and am starting to get used to it.

Took some of the guys to the office to the range to day at lunch to relieve the stress. Man, I love to shoot this little gun!

·
Registered
168 Posts
...another JHP round you might want to try are the 147gr Federal HSTs -- I love HSTs for .45 and I'm a "heavier is better" man myself. If you put any stock in the FBI testing regimen for HPs the HST outperformed everything. If you are having problems with brass hitting you in the face you might consider beveling and relieving the PXT hook a little bit. Glad it's working well for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts