1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard on the local news that last night, someone was killed by a homeowner while commiting a home invasion/burglary. I live in NW Fl and this would be about the fifth or sixth shooting in this area alone, with most being fatal, since Hurricane Ivan in September of 04. Fl's new defense law was effective on Oct 1, so the home defender is in the clear. Even before the new law, LE in our area tended to side with the homeowner unless there was extenuating circumstances.
BAD GUYS BEWARE - BREAKING INTO HOMES COULD BE DEADLY!!!!!

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
FL's new law didn't have any bearing on self-defense in the home; just outside the home. FL's had the "Castle Doctrine" for some time now. Who-raw for the homeowner!!!!

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
when you gotta, you gotta....and should be able to do so if need be. IL is so very different, but it is encouraging that at least one can still defend themselves freely somewhere in this fine land of ours.

be safe, shoot well.:rock:

·
Registered
639 Posts
mitrod3 said:
when you gotta, you gotta....and should be able to do so if need be. IL is so very different, but it is encouraging that at least one can still defend themselves freely somewhere in this fine land of ours.

I am a new resident to Illinois. Could you tell me what you meant by your post?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
1st of all....welcome to our fine state.

2nd.....where are you in located?

3rd.....get to know your state, county and local laws and area LE and Legal attitudes about gun ownership, transport, self defense, etc. upstate is a nasty place for gun owners/lovers and very anti-gun in many areas. downstate is much more amenable to gun ownership.

get all the info you can on state, county, city and conservation laws regarding gun ownerhsip and transport.

you must have a valid FOID (firearms owners identification) card to own, store and/or transport a gun here. there are also some legal requirements for storage of guns and ammo that you should be aware of.

we are a non carry state. home self defense upstate is mess and very bad news. downstate it is based upon calling 911, (if you can), flee the situation, if you can, barricade yourself if at all possible and shoot as a very very last resort after giving ample warning to any intruder that you are armed and will defend yourself. you may only shoot to defend life or under threat to life. as an individual there is no shooting to protect property, not sure about business property. you just call the LE and wait for their arrival, unless under threat to life.

other IL residents may have some input on this.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WalterGC said:
FL's new law didn't have any bearing on self-defense in the home; just outside the home. FL's had the "Castle Doctrine" for some time now. Who-raw for the homeowner!!!!
Indeed the new law had an impact on inside the home. It protects the homeowner from any civil actions that could be brought by the "deceased" next of kin. And from a prosecutorial stand point- the homeowner only has to show where the "deceased" was an unwanted intruder and that he/she feared for his/her families safety, whether or not the BG was armed/unarmed, and no charges can be filed.

·
Registered
4,832 Posts
watchluvr4ever said:
I am a new resident to Illinois. Could you tell me what you meant by your post?
I would agree with everything Mitrod says--we don't quite have to let the bad guy kill us, and hope our ghost can pull the trigger, but it's almost that bad. There are some groups who hope to change that--the links in my signature line will take you to a couple of them. Hope to see you there!

·
Registered
555 Posts
links to newspaper article

Link to first article

Published - October, 13, 2005
Local news briefs

Man shot in chest in apparent home invasion late Wednesday

A Chatham Avenue homeowner shot a person in the chest during an apparent home invasion shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday, said Sgt. Ted Roy, spokesman for the Escambia County Sheriff's Office.

The injured person was taken by Baptist LifeFlight helicopter to a Pensacola hospital and was believed to be in critical condition.

Chatham Avenue is off Gulf Beach Highway between Sorrento Road and Bauer Road.

The investigation was continuing, and no other information was available late Wednesday.

Link to 2nd article
Published - October, 13, 2005
Shooting victim identified

A man shot and killed by a homeowner Wednesday evening has been identified as Richard J. Piovesan, 44, of Pensacola.

Escambia County Sheriff’s deputies responding to an apparent home invasion on Chatham Avenue shortly after 9 p.m. Wednesday said homeowner Robert Peaden, 57, shot Piovesan at least once in the chest with a handgun.

Peaden told deputies the suspect forced open the door to his work trailer and made threats, and that he felt as if he had to protect himself.

An autopsy is being conducted today. Piovesan was pronounced dead at Sacred Heart Hospital after being transported there by LifeFlight helicopter.

According to investigators, the incident was an extension of an argument that had begun the day before.

Information about the relationship between the two men has not been released.

The incident still is being investigated.

·
Registered
555 Posts
More info from the local news station

Here's more info from the local TV station... I guess we'll see how well the new law works...

Esc Co Man Dies after Allegedly Threatening Neighbor
by: [email protected]

An Escambia County man admits he shot and killed his neighbor, but no charges have been filed.
The shooter claims the man forced his way into his home and threatened him.
As Channel Three's Mollye Barrows reports, Escambia Investigators and State Prosecutors must now decide if it's justifiable homicide.

Neighbors enjoying a quiet evening on Chatham Avenue were jolted by gunshots.
"We all of the sudden heard pop, pop," says Kim Sitton, who lives across the street from where the shooting occurred.
Bobby Piovesan was in his mobile home.
"I heard my brother holler, 'Bob, Bob,'" says Piovesan. "And then my mother ran to my door and said Rick went over to Robert's house and I just heard two shots."
57-year-old Robert Peaden told Escambia Sheriff's Deputies that 44-year-old Rick Piovesan forced open his trailer door and threatened him.
Peaden told investigators he shot Piovesan with a handgun to protect himself.
The two men were neighbors.
In fact, Peaden lives with Piovesan's sister.
"I immediately ran over to Robert's house," Piovesan says. "And he was at the front door and when I got there he still had the gun in his hand and I asked him, 'Did you shoot my brother?' And he said, 'Yes, I shot him.'"
Bobby Piovesan ran back to his trailer to find his brother collapsed in the yard, with a bullet in his chest.
Help soon arrived.
"I stood there praying while they were working on him because I didn't know what else to do and his parents were just absolutely numb and I could tell it didn't look good," Sitton says, choking back tears.
Piovesan was pronounced dead at Sacred Heart Hospital.
His family hopes investigators will find out what happened.
They have doubts that Piovesan threatened Peaden.
Investigators are forwarding their findings to state prosecutors who will decide if charges should be filed.

And still more.....

"Stand Your Ground" Law
by [email protected]

Robert Peaden's assertion to deputies that "he was threatened. . . and felt the need to protect himself". . . could lead to a test of Florida's new "stand your ground" law.
It took effect October first. . and gives immunity to people who use deadly force against assailants who threaten them with great bodily harm.
But as Greg Neumann reports. . . that law is open to a case-by-case interpretation.

(( Friends and relatives of Richard Piovesan say he might still be alive if it weren't for Florida's new "stand your ground" law.

[55:10] It just turns everybody loose like it's the wild, wild west.

[16:46] I want to see justice. I want them to change this law because that's not right just to be able to shoot somebody.

Escambia County sheriff's investigators are still trying to figure out exactly what happened in Robert Peaden's trailer last night. . . but they say the "stand your ground" won't apply to every such situation.

[7:57] I mean if you shoot someone unlawfully then you shoot someone unlawfully. And if you do it when you have fear for your safety and fear for your life, then, you're still gonna be justified.

[4:41] Once a "Stand-your-Ground" case goes to the State Attorney's office, prosecutors are then required by statute to automatically presume the would-be victim feared for their life.

[29:03] Once you review it though, if those conditions aren't met, then we would evaulate it and decide what charge would be appropriate.

But anti-gun groups say most people don't understand that. . . And they're warning visitors to florida that arguing with a local could get you killed.
The state representative from Crestview who sponsored the bill says he doesn't like that image. . . and calls it unrealistic.

[16:02 OF CNS TAPE] Certainly we don't want to be pictured as the wild, wild west...and if you read this bill as it was signed and passed into law, it doesn't create that atmosphere.

Local law enforcement agrees. . . But they say only time will tell for sure.
Greg Neumann, Channel Three News.
))

Copyright 2005 WEAR-TV

Copyright 2005 WEAR-TV

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
seeker: Thanks for the heads-up. I haven't read the actual law and was basing my opinion on internet "summaries" of what the law said. Glad to see that the in-home doctrine was strenghtened.

·
Registered
639 Posts
mitrod3 & kjhof,

I relocated to Quincy. IL from Michigan about three months ago. So far I have made friends with a retired IL State Police officer and a Quincy LEO. Both are active shooters and are knowledgeable about current gun laws. I am currently waiting on my FOID. When I lived in Michigan I could just walk in anywhere and buy ammo or a gun, but not here. That is the only thing I miss about Michigan, and my family also. Today I am taking my son to Ed Browns shop to look at some of his work. I am thinking about getting a Kobra Carry after my FOID is approved. My son is excited and so am I.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
Kind of hard for me to be jealous of anybody who voluntarily lives in IL! :)

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
watchluvr4ever:

kjhof just gave you a couple of fine sights to look over and connect with.

i'm in the capital, Springfield, and do what i can to encourage changes in our gun laws (for the better) and expose various people to the joy's of shooting.

good to hear you are downstate as it has a much better "gun" atmostphere for the most part. also good thing to have connected with some local LE people. they can give you a good reading on what goes and what doesn't. you should do well "gun wise" located where you are.

sounds like a nice choice you are pondering there on a gun., those cobra carries are nice looking and it should be a real shooter. enjoy. how old is your son?

if you ever get over toward Springfield, drop me a e-mail or PM and i will take you to one of the three places i shoot at here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
WalterGC

Walter,
I humbly recommend you delete the "shoot to kill, they'll stop when they're dead" monicker. Seriously, if you are ever involved in a self defense shooting, the District Attourney will have a field day with that expression. I know of a case where the man who shot in self defense said to the cops, "I'm glad he's dead" The DA had him up on murder charges.
TT

P.S. I like the "Not a Glock Armorer" saying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts