1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read the last thread on installing a beavertail on a Kimber. I too want to try ans get a higher grip on my kimber. My Colt XSE seems to have a much higher grip to it. And the Kimber just does'nt feel comfortable in my hand. Does anyone know which radius the Kimbers come with, and which BT gives you the highest grip??

·
Registered
157 Posts
I believe Kimber's come with the popular 0.250 radius. Popular high grip models are the Ed Brown, Chip McCormick Extreme, and Wilson Combat grip safeties. What feels best is a very personal choice and since a high ride beavertail requires frame modification I recommend you try the model you think you want on another person's pistol to make sure you like it.

·
Premium Member
11,643 Posts
The .220" radius was primarily for the Springfield guns which have a slightly smaller frame tail. Some folks don't like the small gap at the top edge of a .250" safety that shows on Springfield guns. The original B'tails on the market were the Clark's which are a compound radius. Wilson markets those under his own brand. He also developed a "Hi Sweep" B'tail using the same radius. Ed Brown came out with his high grip using a .250" radius. Others use a .250" radius, but they don't require as much contouring of the cheeks of the frame tail. A Brown will drop on to a Kimber, but the frame cheeks will still protrude beyond the grip safety. An S&A .250" safety should fit your Kimber with only minor fitting to the frame if any. The "leg" that blocks the trigger will have to be fitted on any new safety.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts