1911Forum banner

Another Kimber...Stainless .40S&W (S1)

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  AZ Heat 
#1 ·
The Kimber drug got the best of me yet again. I just picked up a Series 1 Stainless .40S&W. For those of you out there with this same gun, what has your experience been? Also, I was reading something in past threads about converting them into 10mm by changing the barrel and spring out with 10mm. Is it really that simple? Also, if this is done, what mags do you use. And last question, can you loan .40S&W ammo in a .45 mag? (I was reading something about this in earlier threads too). Hopefully this will be my last Kimber for a while. I've gotten a little carried away lately! (AZ Husker's fault!)

#2 ·
Hello AZ Heat,
I have several Kimbers in .40S&W (I got an addiction to that same Kimber drug you mention). I'm going to be shooting one of them today at an IPSC Match at the Ashland Gun Club. The one I'm shooting today was worked on by EGW and has been shot in the last three Single Stack Classic and a number of other matches. Currently it's my favorite single stack for matches. I load the .40 to 1.200 and between that and EGW's custom work it has feed almost all my reloads %100 as long as I load the rounds long. I do use 10MM magazines as they allow for one more round which has saved me from making a reload now and then. As for changing it to 10MM I recommend you check out Castlebravo site for doing this. Do a search on this forume and I'm sure you will find it. I suggest you keep the .40 barrel as .40 brass is much cheaper and easier to fine. Another good thing about your pre series II Kimber is being more reliable at least to me. I would use .40S&W and 10MM mags and stay away for the .45ACP mags. I use CMC, but will be buying some Tripp mags soon. The Colt mags are also good if you can find them. Did you get the Custom with fixed or adjustable sights or one of the compacts?

#3 ·
Gary,
Thanks for the info. It is a Stainless with fixed sights. (If it just says Stainless on the side, is the model just Stainless?) I need to do a couple of things to it but just couldn't pass up on it when I saw it. I'll check out the places you said and find more info. about the mags and extra stuff to be able to switch back and forth from .40S&W and 10mm.

#5 ·
OK, I just spent the last few hours reading back clear through 2003 posts. I'm wanting to be able to switch back and forth between .40S&W and 10mm. I know I need a new barrel, recoil spring and mags. Does anyone have specific recommendations for barrel (how is Ed Brown?), recoil spring (Wolf 20#?) and mags (Metalform 10mm 8 or 9 rounds or CMC)? Also, do I need to have a gunsmith fit the barrel or is this something I could do myself? Thanks again for your help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.